SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

My new bright orange craft studio

ccoombs1
9 years ago

I had this unused room in my house and a desperate need for a place to do my art and craft projects, so about 2 months ago I came up with a plan. I have always wanted to use orange in a room but never had a good place for such a bold color. So I used it here. The room is 14' wide x 16', with a corner lost to a closet. I build cabinets for one wall, using IKEA butcher block island tops (which are thinner than the now discontinued counter tops). This run of cabinets still needs two doors, but I'll build them a little later.

this is the island I came up with. It's made using an old 1950s buffet, with a set of legs to support the overhang. The top is ikea butcher block again. This island is the perfect standing work height for me. Total cost was around $250

I repainted two vintage step stools and put new fabric on the seats. They are a good height for the island

I needed a sink and had a small (29" x 29") space between two book cases (which will get doors) and a lateral file cabinet so I built in a nice sink base and put glass tile on the wall. The sink came from ebay....small but very deep.

The sewing machine is a 1966 vintage singer. I took the top off of the machine's existing cabinet and build a new cabinet for it that would roll under the work table. I made a spool rack for one side and have small storage trays on the other. I used the machine to make the valances and am happy with the set-up.

Comments (19)