SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Paint foyer interior door different color?

User
13 years ago

I painted the inside of this door white to match my trim sometime last year. I'm wondering though, if a visual would change anyone's mind on the color?

Current white door. - The background of the rug is black.

{{!gwi}}

My very limited, crude ps skills.

All black. I didn't mean to paint the base black.

{{!gwi}}

Black door, white trim. I don't think I'm feeling this one.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (31)

• yborgal
    13 years ago

The outside of our door is white as is the inside. I'm thinking about painting the inside black and leaving the frame white. I'm feeling picture #3.

• threebees
    13 years ago

I like it the way it is now!

• Related Discussions

How do you paint door window grilles different colors?

Q

Comments (3)
    Paint one side and then paint the other side. I would use something with some sheen so that when you paint the other side you can easily clean off the oops from the paint leaking over the edge. When you paint the final side, use a good brush and brush away from the edge to minimize getting paint on the finished side. Honestly, grill painting with 2 colors is not a fun job, even for a pro.
    ...See More

Interior color help please! What color to paint doors?

Q

Comments (11)
    I actually love the white doors but my husband thinks it's a bad idea with four little kids. We do have a ton of windows, 10 foot ceilings etc... but in our old home, we didn't have as much light and I did like the gauntlet gray doors. I don't think I can get him to agree to Dover white for doors so I need something! I'm at the paint store and I'm seeing what you are both talking about with the dovetail... I pulled Acier and that might be an option...
    ...See More

Paint the interior of my front door a different color from outside?

Q

Comments (4)
    Most exterior doors are one color on the outside and another on the inside. Yes, I would match your panels, in the Dover white.
    ...See More

Can interior doors be different colors on each side?

Q

Comments (5)
    Right, which way do these doors swing? If they swing into the study and are likely to be open as often as they are closed, I would let them be dark stained on both sides as the exterior side of the door will often be in the study. If they swing out into the foyer I think it could go either way. I'm guessing you may have other dark stained pieces of furniture throughout the house that can help visually balance the doors, or if you don't a couple in the vicinity of the foyer can help tie it all together.
    ...See More
  • bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I like the idea of a color, but I find the black to have too strong a contrast on a fairly small wall. How would you feel about a chocolate color that is similar in strength to the console's wood finish, or a rich warm medium gray? The color would signal that it's the route to the outdoors, but I think you might find that a very dark color would seem like the outside face of the door.
    (As you may know by now, I am often on about the subtle messages in a room!)
    With the lovely peachy tones in your walls, I'd avoid green or blue or brick, which unless they were very "dirtied" and neutral versions of the colors, might make the walls seem too sherbet-y.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wait, whoa! lol I forgot I lightened those pictures before I attempted to ps because they're really dark on this monitor. My walls are actually gold with green undertones.

I'm ok with another color besides black. I just thought the space could look better with a different color door. I like the idea of a chocolate color. I can't picture the rich warm medium gray.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been itching to paint something the color of igloo's trim & door. It's a mix of SW Woodsy Brown and Black. Still too dark? Maybe just use Woodsy Brown by itself? Igloo described it as a chocolate bar.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's an older photo but a better shot of the paint. I swear it doesn't look peach IRL.
    {{gwi:1540482}}

Older pic but here's what's basically going on standing at the entrance. That picture will come down beside the fern and someday I'll paint the backplates. I still have dreams of painting the oak railing and maybe someday I'll commit.
    {{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Ah.
    Now that I see the color more accurately, I take back the gray thing altogether,
    and I like my chocolate idea even better!

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

I agree black would be too stark. What about the green of your kitchen? I like the chocolate idea, too. Maybe a color similar to your carpet?

Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So you guys think if I go with brown it shouldn't be as dark as Igloo's trim?

Leave the outside trim white?

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

I think with all your white trim and other white doors, the door painted a dark brown or black would look a little odd. Are you thinking about painting the patio doors and other doors a darker brown too?

Igloo's trim and all other wood is also painted the dark brown, so it flows. I just worry that you've got all this white trim and doors and then you're going to have one big dark door and it's going to draw your eye every time you walk down the hallway. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Caroleoh - I originally wanted to paint my patio doors black (Reno_fan painted hers brown) quite some time ago but lots of people said my floors weren't dark enough and hers were. Sooo I've still been itching and searching to paint something dark.

You make a good point about everything else being white.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Me again...the more I look at your hallway, the more I think that a color would be very nice, but that it should be a rich color but not a dark color. I think if you had big Victorian or Georgian woodwork, you'd have enough white to frame a very dark door, and then you could paint all your doors...but since your trim is more delicate, a more subtle color might look best? Something like BMoore's "Alexandria Beige" (HC-77), or Sherwin-Williams "Sensational Sand" (SW 6094), which is lighter, or a really pretty neutral olive-khaki brown like "Camelback" (SW 6122) or the darker "Baguette" (SW 6123).

I'd also liked to know how my cats got into your house!
    Actually, both of ours are black and white, and the white on their front paws are more tennis socks than crew...but one is short haired, and one long, and their silhouettes are just like yours. Am I seeing a third little head in the foreground?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. Deep down I know the black or dark brown is too dark for my house. :(

I do however, like how Alexandria Beige looks. Sensational Sand is reading kind of pinky/purple on my monitor but it doesn't mean it would look bad IRL. I really like both Camelback and Baguette.

I'll have to dig around through my samples later and see what I have.

Yes, there's three big furkids that run around this place. They're always under my feet and usually in my pictures. :)

I'll be back later with some photos hopefully. I wish I had basic photoshop skills.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah, forgot to add one thing.

If this helps at all..my LR color is BM "Shelburne Buff" and during certain times of the day you can't tell the difference between the two unless you look close. The foyer/hall paint is by "Mushroom Cream" by Vista paint but I think it looks very much like BM "Dunmore Cream".

• OKMoreh
    13 years ago

I would prefer a color close to that of the console.

If I felt ambitious, I'd faux-paint to match the wood it the way I saw Debbie Travis paint a metal door: not with a graining tool (never looks real to me), but by using four or five colors of paint and no tools except an ordinary paint brush. She started by looking very closely at the wood she wanted to match, and painting a base coat in the lightest tone of the wood, then lightly brushed a second coat of the darkest tone of the wood (almost dry-brushed). Then she dry-brushed the highlight tones of the wood, in that case one nearly yellow and one nearly red. If any color seems too prominent, you can dry-brush one of the others over it. The idea is not to simulate prominent wood grain, but rather to approximate the finish of a close-grained stained wood.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okmoreh - That sounds really neat but I'm not sure if I'm that brave, lol. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I think I'd make it much harder than need be.

The only colors samples I currently have that are similar to the ones listed above are BM "Livingston Gold" & BM "Blair Gold". Actually I do have samples of SW "Mannered Gold" and "Restrained Gold" somewhere but they're not as brown.

Here's some shots and it's hard to see right thanks to the light.

Livingston
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Livingston beside the mat in the picture. It doesn't match but wanted to show it anyhow.
    {{!gwi}}
    Livingston left, Blair right on both of these.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Either of these? I don't think Blair is brown enough but I kind of like Livingston. Are we on the right track? I was thinking something more brown like the Baguette.

• User
    13 years ago

I would paint the door two shades darker than the wall color, leave the trim white.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I don't think black would be bad at all. There are so many different tones of black out there. I saw a black once that looked like a dark, dark mahogany. Very rich looking.

What other colors are in your rug? Be fun (look how great your kitchen turned out when you took some risk.) Get some contrast in there.

• natal
    13 years ago

Either Livingston or Blair would look great. Black or dark brown not so much. Look how dark & heavy everything is in Igloo's pics. Your house doesn't have that same vibe. If it were me I'd want to keep it airy & light.

• natal
    13 years ago

And btw, I actually like the door white, but I know you, lol.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

The Livingston would look okay, but you need to keep the white trim. Your trim color should be consistent throughout the house, it breaks things up too much if you change trim color on one door only.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So most of you guys think I should leave it alone, eh?

I think the foyer could use something else. Not anymore accessories but just something. Anyone else see this??

The other colors in the rug are gold, cream, sage green, burgundy (somewhat plum red looking).

Here's shots of Livingston & Blair at night. I'm not sure what two shades darker is. Btw, SW Mannered gold is way too orange. I'm sure SW Restrained will be the same way since it's only 1 lighter.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I can't visualize this. I would hate for the door to look BLAH once painted. Do people normally paint the inside of their doors a color?

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Oh, honey, forget "normal!"
    I advocate for elegance and simplicity and timelessness, but normal? What might that be??

So now that I look at your samples taped up, I want you to add some gray into those colors...I think it WILL look dull if your door just seems like a darker version of the wall.

What about SW 6080, which has the rather off-putting name of "Utterly Beige," or 6079, "Diverse Beige?" They have a lot of gray, but is the gray of river stone, not battleships.

• roobear
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Inspiration below

Here is a link that might be useful: Black interior doors

• roobear
    13 years ago

Forgot the dark ones. . .
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ugggggg, didn't have internet allll day, ha.

Thanks so much Roobear!

Hmm, the first set of four I don't like the bottom two. So I'm forgetting about Livingston & Blair.

I kind of like all the others. I like the brown more than black or red. I keep thinking if I paint this door I will have to do something with my light oak railing. Whatcha think? - One of the photos's in Kmcg's link has the door matching the railing. Thanks Kmcg!

Roo - Would you mind doing the door in one of these grays? Gray sounds so cold to me so I really can't picture this. It won't let me upload the photos from color charts. Hope the link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Utterly Beige, Diverse Beige right above.

• roobear
    13 years ago

Hey Shee,
    This is close to the utterly beige color, on my screen it's coming up a gray/purple/tan color. I hope it's close enough to give you an idea.

{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I really like the gold one that roobear posted at 16:48 in the lower right of those four. A close second would be the one to it's left.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Roo!!!

Hmm... that reminds me of those steel doors that are gray. Bronwynsmom - What do you think?

I take back how I said I don't like those bottom two posted at 16:48. I like the one on the left.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I also like the bottom right of the four posted at 16:48, but I'm not sure if I could pull the trigger!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I like the bottom ledt of 16:48. The one on the right is nice but safer. I wouldn't give up- on the utterly beige,it may just be the color on the monitor- do a swatchy thing. Brownwyns got a great eye.