SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Will this back splash work?

jscozz
13 years ago

My wife and I ordered handmade Sonoma tile for our back splash. The order had an issue, and an important piece did not get ordered... so it will now be another 6 weeks of waiting... but now that we finally see the actual tile and not just a 1x1 sample sheet, it looks VERY different! It is much more varied than the sample, and we are concerned that it is too similar to our counter top and will not look good... the plan was for a row of 6x12 (right in picture), then a row of 1x8 glass (left in picture) then 4x4 on diagonal above that (center in picture)... but we now feel that the 6x12 is too high for the bottom course, and leaves only 11" above it for diag 4x4s. AND, more importantly, the tile is very similar to the counter and we are concerned it is so similar it looks like we tried to match but made a mistake! What do you think? We have a medallion for over the stove that uses both of the colors here and a sugar baby dark brown... but that brown is not available in any field tile, or I would use that as the bottom course to put a solid break in between the counter and back splash field tile.

I am thinking about cutting the 6x12 into (3) 4x6 tiles for the bottom course, so it is only 4" high, but still has the rectangular shape.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (24)