SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdworkin

Should I go with Ikea cabs, and if so, DIY? Am I crazy?

cdworkin
16 years ago

We are about to undertake a big remodel of our house. We are gutting our original 1920s kitchen upstairs and converting unused space downstairs into a master suite and laundry/den area plus adding a staircase to connect the 2 levels. Big project.

I have been sold on Ikea kitchens for a while, I love the traditional raised panel look of the Lidi cabinets in white and I plan to pimp them out with feet, turned legs, corbels and big crown molding.

We are at the stage where we are talking to contractors and getting bids. Ideally I would want the contractor to do it all... but we only have so much money. The contractor we will probably use hasn't ever done Ikea and every time I talk to him he is trying to get me to do a different cabinet... so we told him take the build/install of all cabinets out of his bid and we would get a separate bid for that from an experienced installer.

I've watched the Ikea video. I've read some of the Ikea install stories. We have 22 cabinets. Is this something that I want to consider doing myself? I am not very handy, although I can put stuff together. But what about the time involved, how long would 22 cabinets take me to put together? And then even if I can build them, the putting them on the wall bit terrifies me. My husband and I are notorious for not getting things level.

And if I DO choose to hire an installer for the Ikea bit shouldn't I just spend the bit of extra money on pricier cabinets that are already built?

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz