SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ica171_gw

How is this possible?

ica171
16 years ago

I was watching an episode of "My First Home" last night on TLC, and the couple they were profiling was from Indianapolis and preapproved for $120,000. They decided they needed to be preapproved for $150,000 and went to talk to their broker, who said that there was no way they could be preapproved for more because their credit score was 515. How on earth did anyone with a credit score of 515 get preapproved for a mortgage?

They said later on that they had to have a down payment of 3% that came from their church, and they ended up getting a custom home where the builder paid the closing costs. I just don't understand how anyone with a score of 515 and no actual assets of their own got approved for a mortgage even if the episode was a few years old. (I don't know how old it was, just saying that it's my understanding that it was easier to get a mortgage in 2005.)

Their broker gave them tips for raising their credit score and they did get approved for the $150,000. I didn't hear them say how much their credit score went up, but I can't imagine that it was hundreds of points.

Comments (12)