SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Where to find lampshades (or how to make my own?)

lkplatow
14 years ago

Inspired by the favorite lamps thread, I picked up an adorable vintage lamp at a flea market last week. Alas, it didn't come with the shade, and the seller told me the shade was beat so he trashed it (argh! If he had saved the wire frame, I could have recovered it!). Anyhow, I didn't think the lamp would be too hard to find a shade for, but I am striking out left and right.

After buying and returning about 6 shades in the last couple days, I'm beginnning to give up hope. I've already hit Walmart, Target, and Bed Bath and Beyond. I started just taking the lamp with me into stores and trying every shade that looks like it might have a prayer of working. I'm not sure what other stores might have just shades - our homegoods had a few, but they were all too big.

Because of the shape of the base, this lamp really needs an oval shade, though I could probably make do with a rectangular one if I had to. (The seller told me the original one was oval shaped and silk.) I'd like the shade to be black, some black and white printed pattern, or white as a last choice. (Apple green would work too, if I could find one, LOL!). I can't find any oval shades in the stores except for one that was already on a lamp. I'm debated buying the whole new lamp and just swiping the shade but that's expensive and wasteful (plus the shade was white anyhow).

Because I can't seem to judge what will look good on my lamp to save my life (note my multiple trips to the returns desk over the last couple days), I'd prefer something I can see IRL before buying...otherwise, I'm going to go broke shipping a lot of stuff back. And I'd prefer not to spend a ton - the lamp was only $10 and if I have to spend $100 on a shade, that kind of defeats the purpose of being thrifty - could have had a new lamp at Homegoods for $40, LOL!

I am open to making something myself, though I'd imagine that crafting an oval shaped wire frame would be tricky. I wonder if I could just get the oval frame and "spider" thingie for the top and use wallpaper and some kind of plastic stiffener to make a shade that goes around it.

Anyhow, would love to hear your suggestions for either finding a reasonably-priced oval shade or making my own. Thanks so much & have a great holiday!

Comments (8)