SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

QOTD 3/10 Do people ask you to sew?

mary_c_gw
13 years ago

Just because you have a sewing machine?

Friends know I sew, as do many neighbors. I am often asked to do alterations or to hem slacks - and oh, yes, they will PAY me $5 per pair of lined slacks. Well, color me saying "yippee", LOL.

I hate doing alterations, so I refuse that outright. One neighbor wanted me to alter her daughter's 8-gore prom dress bodice for $15 - NO! The tailor at the mall charged her $85 - no wonder she wanted me to do the job!

I also finally cut off my friend - She's short, and she falls in love with pants too long for her. I finally told her (in a nice way, really!) buy your pants to fit or get them altered at the store. She shops Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus with personal shoppers, and if she can do that she can pay for alterations.

I guess my problem is that people already know I can sew more than just quilts - oh! the costumes I made for my son's school! I always donated them to the school after my son was done with them. He's now 24, but some of those costumes are still being used. Everyone remembers...it's kind of scary, LOL.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm