SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanhouse_gw

White and/or quartersawn oak? Please help!

ryanhouse
14 years ago

We have been planning our kitchen addition for over six years now, and have never posted before -- but we need help making the final decision!

We had always planned a white kitchen, but we also fell in love with quatersawn oak cabinets at a local showroom. They were way more than we wanted to pay, but our new builder brought in a kitchen designer who can provide us with reasonably-priced quartersawn oak (in fact, the oak would be cheaper than the white).

Our house is an 1860s folk Victorian farmhouse on 5 acres. The floors are fir and the massive trim is all painted. The new kitchen (about 16' x 18') will have 8 large windows and a glass door, and very little upper cabinetry.

White pros:

-Bright

-Classic

-Vintage

-Presumably good for re-sale (unless it becomes thought of as 'so 2000s' in the future)

-Predictability  we know it would look great.

White cons:

-It looks great in pictures, but the samples usually look plastic-y. How do yours look in real life (the kind with the factory finish, not custom, hand-painted)?

-Durability -- I cook ALOT. Would it look all scratched and dinged and cracked in a few years?

Quartersawn oak pros:

-We love the sample

-It looks real (not plastic-y)

-It would be unique

-It would be more durable

-WeÂve bought a number of pieces of quartersawn oak furniture for our house, and it really fits in.

Quartersawn oak cons:

-Dark, dark, dark (it could also look too Mission-y for our house, but I think we could avoid this through countertop and pull choices). The builder and kitchen designer thought this would not be an issue because there will be so many windows -- but every picture we see of a white kitchen looks bright, and every picture of a dark wood kitchen looks ... dark. Dark can look fabulous and dramatic and classy, but our house is about light and clarity and I want our family and guests to feel joy in this kitchen. Can a quartersawn oak kitchen be light and joyful?

One option would be to have a white perimeter with an oak island. Another would be to have oak lower cabinets and white uppers. I have found few examples of the latter, and would be afraid that it would look strange and patchy (our favorite pictures always show simple, clean lines, with just a few, beautiful materials).

If youÂve stuck with me this far, what are your thoughts?

Comments (24)