SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texashottie

Pics of Spring Tour Home (not furnished tho!)

texashottie
16 years ago

Here's a gorgeous, inspiring house on the Greater Fort Worth Spring Tour. I was hoping it would be furnished; I was told it was hit-or-miss with which homes would be furnished on the tour.

In any case, I thought I'd share some pics. I know that homes styles are so regional, so thought some might enjoy a glimpse. This house was just over the $2 million mark.

Kitchen:

Travertine and wood floor in breakfast nook:

Study:

Master bedroom:

Powder Room with marble floors:

Upstairs baths:

Back balcony view:

Outdoor kitchen:

Comments (48)

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

STUNNING!!!! I'm picking my jaw up off the floor now. Who needs furniture when you have architecture like that!

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Beautiful architecture. But: I don't see any solar panels on the roof. I wonder how they're going to heat and cool that house?

• Related Discussions

MN Hosta Soc Tour in the Rain - House #1 Pics

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks Lainey for responding, thought it might get lost in the other pics. Similar look, a bit of blue in one I snapped. I count about 14 vein pairs in my pic vs 9-10 for Lunar Night. Owners said wish they knew what it was, and to let 'em know if I figure it out. Three hosta in particular at this garden I made note of and this was first on my list - figures. Thanks again. Paul
    ...See More

YOUR tour of my garden! Finally the pics you've been asking for

Q

Comments (27)
    muktowngal... Thank you (and others) for your complements. I think I'm around 480 varieties... a few duplicates, but still, under 500 total. The large garden in the panorama has most of the varieties in it... around 400. The neighbor...they moved in a year before us and the previous owners left them a few hosta. That S&S in the pic was a puny 1-eye and was not doing well. It's grown so much in the 5 years since we've been here. Almost all of their others were added around 2008-09. I gave them the Royal Standards in that pic, and a few others that are not in the photo. I plan to thin out a few of my duplicates and will probably give them some more, since they're willing takers! Both my neighbors are good about keeping a nice landscape and I'm thankful for that. My rear neighbor... not so much.
    ...See More

HAVE: Spring Swap & Iris Garden Tour, Southwest Dallas Co Area

Q

Comments (36)
    skeered me too! Amy, the swap last year really was fun, but Bobbie is prez of the Ovilla Garden Club this year, so she's too "scheduled" to have one at her home this year. BUT We're having a swap in Ft Worth April 7 (see the thread on this forum). This is the Texas Forum's annual Spring Swap, & it's lots of fun. There're always lots of people & tons of plants & garden things, & the Botanic Gardens are just across the street if you still have the strength to visit them after our "Spring Break" garden frenzy! & the Ovilla Garden Club has one in Ovilla June 2,(there's a thread about it, too) at the City Park. We can trade or sell, as long as we buy the $4 box lunch that they sell to fund their projects. & I know she'd love for you to come take a tour thru her gardens. She gave me permission to post her phone # (it's on the Ovilla thread.) email me at sylviaboardwalk@aol.com if you want more info. I do have some irises, some named, some mysteries, that I'd be happy to bring you. Just let me know.
    ...See More

Victorian home picture tour (Pic heavy)

Q

Comments (53)
    I saw the photos of this masterpiece the first time around but was thrilled to sit through a more extensive tour - even if I had to remove my boots. Ha! newdawn, when we bought our house, the heating/lights/water bill here was more than our old house's mortgage! igloochick, you will have to put in intercoms for DS and any future ice cubes... My kids were young when we moved into our house and they would loose me. My house isn't nearly as big as your will be. We painted our house for $17,000. You have one lifetime project ahead of you.
    ...See More
  • totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Holy Moly! This is gorgeous.

Shoot. Why did I build my house? I just want this one instead. :o) LOL!

Thanks for sharing, TXhottie. I too wish it had been furnished, but this is lovely, even in "the raw". :o)

• les917
    16 years ago

Love the outdoor areas, the flooring in many places, and some of the details. How nice to sit outside on that covered patio and enjoy a nice cool drink or a meal you cooked in that outdoor kitchen!

The kitchen feels like a cave - wouldn't want to spend much time in there. I love the stair area, but not the railings - too much, too busy.

Thanks for sharing the pix. It IS fun to see regional designs - you would never see a house that style around here. Would be fun to see how they furnish it, too.

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

I also love to see other homes and styles.
    Very dark for sure. Even the outside areas while all very stunning, would be hard to get use to dark all the time. Would not help those of us who suffer from SAD I am sure.
    But do love to see what's happening in other parts of the country. Thanks for the pics.

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

That house is magnificent....but it reminds me of a monastery.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Wow. Thanks so much for posting this!

I'm not sure I could live there. I'd feel the need to wear a medieval costume every day.

I wonder why there is an iron fence in the yard. Keeping out the barbarians next door?

• texashottie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL!! The comments are funny! The style around here is "Old World." Dark, distressed, and heavy furniture in deep or muted earthy tones.

The iron fence is odd? We have a lot of that around here too. I'm sure it's mandatory in that neighborhood to have iron fences; once the vegetation grows up around it, I think it'll be much more beautiful and less maintenance than a wood fence.

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Gorgeous home! Thanks for sharing the eye candy!

Bonnie

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

How did you get pictures of my house?! I wish! I love the floor in the breakfast nook.

• trying2buy
    16 years ago

Love the backyard patio/ pool area! When is the party? The tile throughout is wonderful - especially like the tiles laid in a brick style pattern in the bathroom and the backsplash in the kitchen that mimics all of the wonderful iron work. Great appliances in the kitchen but it is much too dark for me - a little too dark/gothic in feel without much natural light. Do you know how many square feet this house is? Is there a basement?

Thanks for posting!

• texashottie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No basements here in Texas. Too much hard clay. It's over 6,000 sq ft.

On the first, exterior photo, the structure furthest to the right is actually a MIL suite accessible through that archway. It had a large sitting area with kitchenette, then a staircase with upstairs being an open room overlooking the downstairs, and small bathroom, small balcony.

• decordiva
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting. Always fun to see new homes. Usually the Texas Spring Home Tour does not furnish the homes. But, Dallas Parade of Homes should be coming up the end of May. There's always lots to see there.

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

I love all the flooring and love patio/pool area, but the interior is so dark. I'd be depressed in that house so I've decided not to buy it. LOL

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Love the outside and most of the inside. I think too many dark materials were used but a beautiful home regardless. Also a great price for that size house. Thanks for sharing.

• cind11
    16 years ago

My first thought was that this home looks more like a castle. It's beautiful but the kitchen as someone else said seems like a cave. I think that would drive me crazy. Great fun to look at though!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Oh Lordy, that is too dark for my taste, but love the outside.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

My comments are in line with most above. It is STUNNING while I would take it in a heart beat, I would be disappointed in the lack of natural lighting--or is it lighter that the pics reflect?

I can't imaging how long it would take me to clean it. Of course in that price range, I would have help.

• mcbird
    16 years ago

What neighborhood in Fort Worth is this home located in? I didn't realize there was a homes tour going on! Bummer, we're only about 35 minutes away.

It is beautiful. Very similar style to our neighborhood, old world, lots of stone, dark woods and earthtones.

We have the same fence. Not iron, but aluminum. Zero maintenance and looks great. They have to have it because of the pool, most likely.
    Thanks for sharing.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Well it's right up my alley that's for sure! Love it with the exception of the Library...I think that's what room it was. Too dark even for me! ;c)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'd almost consider moving to TX for that house. It's gorgeous and just the style I love. I normally HATE new homes, really almost never do I like them, but that one, it's very well done.

You don't know who the architecht and builder were do you?

• rich69b
    16 years ago

Wow!!! That is one gorgeous house. And it's not even decorated yet! Just beautiful. I don't mind living there....

• cjacker
    16 years ago

TXhottie, do you by any chance know what wood (and stain color) the kitchen cabinets would be? In our new home, I am looking for darker cabinets as we have alot of windows and really like the ones in your pictures. Thanks, Jeanie

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

Amazing! It's beautiful and we have iron fences in our area too, I love them. That wood and travertine combination on the floor really caught my eye too, how different! The outside patio area is like a country club, awesome. Thanks for posting.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

It occurs to me that the fence is probably a legal necessity because of the pool.

• twingirlsmom
    16 years ago

very pretty but I think it's too dark for Washington state...we don't have enough sun to keep from feeling too gloomy inside!

• ttodd
    16 years ago

You know I don't care much for big homes but WOWSEE, WOW, WOW, WOW!

Must show this to DH!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

It's big, yes, and has lots of stone and I do love the tilework (the onyx in the powder room--very nice!)...but there's something about blotchy stained pine that just is like fingernails on a blackboard to me, and unfortunately it's all over the house. If you want to use dark wood, use a naturally dark wood--they can't say it's too expensive, with that kind of price tag. If I'd done that kind of staining job I'd be rather unhappy with the results, and it's one of the most prominent features of the home.

Oh well. Guess I'll keep living here :)

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I don't think that is pine. I bet it is either hickory or alder. If so, the finish is always "blotchy" like that no matter what color you use. My sister just did her kitchen in knotty alder because she was looking for rustic. Her stain is lighter, but the finish turned out pretty much just like these pics. It seems to be a look that people either love it or hate it.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

I could see it being "rustic" alder, too--good point. Yep, I'm in the second camp. Give me a natural finish walnut or rosewood or the like if a dark wood is called for :)

• texashottie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are correct, it is alder wood.

The iron fences are common in this area; it doesn't have anything to do with pools. I live on the other side of the street from this neighborhood and we were required to have iron fences too--but only on street facing fences (Half my backyard is iron fence, half wood since I'm on the corner). Another neighborhood that opened up near me is required to have ALL iron fencing.

This house is in Colleyville, Texas.

I do know who the builder is---if you want his name, you can email me for it.

• msrose
    16 years ago

Texashottie - Can you tell me where in Colleyville? I was just assuming it was in Ft. Worth, but Colleyville is close. I'd love to drive by. Is the tour still going on?

Laurie

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

It is so lovely it makes me cry. With all the money in the world I still wouldn't have one inch of the design sense to pick out such beautiful finishes and tiles. Sigh.

• trying2buy
    16 years ago

Wow - what a MIL suite - sounds fabulous! That explains how large it looks from the outside. How's the RE market in Texas now for high end homes? In NJ prices are still coming down - $ 2M is a tough sell - but here we are also impacted by high taxes - a new house like that by in our area would probably have yearly taxes in excess of $30,000... Another house in a neighboring town is 5 years old 5600 sq ft with a circle driveway, basic finished basement and nice pool in the back. Taxes are $36,000 are year. Needless to say they are selling...

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Around here, that's quite a lot for $2M. Great pics and very interesting to see some of what's being done in TX! Old World styling, but the materials look new. Looks Gothic, Moorish to me. It would be fun to see how it's eventually furnished. I wonder what the overhead for maintaining (and furnishing!) the place would be.

• lynn_r_ct
    16 years ago

I guess I am in the minority but I really love that kitchen. To me the darkness adds warmth and it appears as if the lights have been dimmed so I am sure it would lighten up for those who don't like a batcave. I think the alder is beautiful as is and that the "blotchiness" adds so much character and interest. Many of the kitchens I see look as if someone took cabinets out of their boxes and nailed them to the wall. This kitchen has so many details that make it look fab IMHO. They do say that the "design is in the details."

Now, can I afford this kitchen? In my dreams... but a girl can dream - can't she.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My geographic area in Texas didn't experience the overinflated prices like other parts of the country, therefore our home values have remained pretty consistent.

I talked to the real estate agent that was selling that house and he said that they are still moving the million-dollar homes for the prices they want, but just not as fast as a year or so ago.

We don't have state income tax but we do have higher property taxes to account for that!

My city is about a 10-minute drive from DFW airport, so we have a lot of business execs that live in this area and a lot of transfers. American Airlines has one of their main hubs here too---lots of pilots and flight personnel.

I heard a stat saying DFW was the fastest growing area in the nation this year. There were other TX cities, like San Anton, that was close behind. 1 in 11 people moving out of state moved to Texas.

Here's a real estate agent's link that I like---it's pretty organized and it's fun to look at the pricey homes. Some of them are furnished in the pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW real estate

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I absolutely love the roof, and would personally love the house itself were it much, much smaller. But hey, I'm a fan of cozy, so ...

I'm curious, Texashottie -- which Colleyville neighborhood is this?

• susieq07
    16 years ago

Yuk! other then the view of the pond, it looks like a mausoleum or a cave home,or an old castle....wouldn't accept if it was given to me, as would be difficult to sell, no doubt?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    16 years ago

I think that it is a very elegant house. I think though that the walls could use some deep, saturated colors. I could see some reds, golds or blues on those walls. Beautiful workmanship. I could not live there though, I would be on pins and needles all the time trying to keep the kids from damaging it.

I have seen those stats on the growth projections for the metroplex before. Anytime the ILs bring up us moving to Dallas, I tell them that is exactly why I am staying put. I need space, not only around me but around my car when I am driving on the freeway too.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

In Tx (my opinion) you don't need a bright sunny house...you have bright and sunny smacking you in the face all the time. Walking into a home with rich cool colors (and a good air conditioner) feels wonderful and relaxing after being bombarded with heat and light.

I'd have a blast decorating it. Lots of rich fabrics, leather, velvets, etc. And I wouldn't have a problem at all with the kitchen. I'd switch out the range for a better one, but that's about it.

I wouldn't put that wood in my own home as I sit here today...but in a castle like home, they fit right in. White cabinets in a shaker style would be all out of place in there. It's very well designed that way.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Texashottie, I'm about 60 miles east of Dallas. My husband works in Tyler as a carpet/wood installer. He's just about to get started on many of the Parade of Home houses. The Parade will be sometime mid June. We see this style home a lot in Tyler. I personally LOVE it! And like i-chic mentioned, you get all the bright and sunny a person can stand here in Texas. My question is that travertine and wood floor. I saw these a few years ago. It's pretty but HOW do you clean it? All I can think of is steam (if the hardwood is sealed). Anyway, gorgeous house!! Thanks for sharing :)
    Monica

• igloochic
    16 years ago

MOnica..."You" don't clean it...let the maid figure that out silly :OP

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

I've read enough on the kitchen and bath forums to know better than to let a cleaning lady "figure out" what to use on stone and wood :o but yes, I know what you mean :) My brother and I were just looking at the staircase, I said "of course if you can afford a 2 million dollar home, you don't have to concern yourself with such things but wouldn't it be a pain in the rear to clean all those railings?"
    Monica

• msrose
    16 years ago

I went to see this house today and was surprised that it's not as dark as you would think. The walls are a light color and there's lots of bigs windows with natural light coming in. It doesn't come across as being dark or gothic in person.

Laurie

• spitfire_01
    16 years ago

I have to confess that I thought this house was AWFUL when I first saw this post. Dark and dreary ... yuck! I pulled it up on my home PC to show my husband this "ugly $2-million home" and wow! ... it looked much lighter (and prettier!) on my monitor at home. Sometimes we underestimate how differently our monitors can express color and lighting.

My biggest question is about the front door. I'm guessing that the widest arch off the courtyard is the front door. The first thing I'd do (after finding $2-million) would be to add 2 big plants in pots to draw my visitors to *my* front door and keep them from wandering down to the MIL suite.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I LOVE this house! If I lived in a part of the country where this would look natural and had plans for new construction, I would reduce it to about 2700 square feet and copy as many elements as I could. I would have to change the red tile roof though.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I like most of it, but that kitchen is hideous. I expect to see Dr. Frankenstein and Igor whipping up a snack.