SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_2009

Selling a rental house, needing a complete overhaul

kristine_2009
12 years ago

We have a house that we have rented out for almost 15 years. Renters have taken quite the toll on it, so much so that we have gutted it (all cabinetry, flooring and walls) and are now fixing it up to sell. This is a small acreage in the midwest. Probably worth around $100K once we are finished with it. (For reference, you can buy a new home here for $200-250K). I wanted to get some opinions on if I am going in the right direction on what I should be using for flooring, cabinets, etc. What I have in mind is white kitchen cabinets (don't want to invest too much in high quality wood cabinets, so I thought if going inexpensive that white would look better)and laminate countertop. We won't be selling the house with a stove and fridge, but I was thinking we should install a dishwasher so there isn't a gaping hole in the cabinetry. I have been considering a laminate wood floor for the kitchen/dining room which are open to each other. New carpet for the rest of the house except the bathroom/laundry room (which are open to each other). Will probably use a nice quality vinyl sheet flooring for those rooms. Looking at going with white woodwork and white (fiberglass 9 panel) interior doors. Replacing all light fixtures, doorknobs, etc with ORB. Paint the entire interior Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige (or similar), and ceilings white.

I guess I am wondering if you guys think I am on the right track. This isn't a high end home, so we aren't going to try to make it look like one. Although, we don't want to look "cheap" either. Am I on the right track, or should I make different selections?

Comments (23)