SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wtdedula

Kitchen Sink Faucets with spray - Pullout or Pulldown?

wtdedula
13 years ago

Hello All;

I am having difficulty selecting a kitchen faucet for a new remodeled kitchen. I am getting a nice Cambria countertop with an undermount single bowl sink. I have already visited two professional kitchen supply dealers. I want to get a faucet with a integrated sprayer but now I find I have to decide between one that pulls out and one that pulls down. I think one thing I learned is that with a pullout faucet, you hold the sprayer like you would a garden hose sprayer and for the pulldown one, you wrap your hand around it and hold it downward (Am I correct about that?). I have found that some seem to be uncomfortable if the sprayers are too short and part of your hand extends onto the hose. I think I perfer a pullout type as it seems more natural to me though never having any sprayer before, I don't have any past experience with them so I am posting this message to try to get some insight.

For everyone that has a integrated sprayer, I'm curious what type you have (Pullout or Pulldown), What make/model you have (If you can remember), and what you like or don't like about it ? And if you can give me any additional advice that will help me make a more informed decision. Since the countertop is being installed in 1-2 weeks, I need to make a decision pretty quickly. I've been mulling over this for the last few weeks already.

Comments (34)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I remember researching this! I have a Blanco Elan pull down. I actually researched it AFTER I bought it off a craigslist deal. I got mine a couple of years ago and held onto it till about a month ago when my kitchen became functional. I absolutely adore it and there is nothing I don't like about it.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think it might depend to some degree on the height of the faucet. Pulldowns are almost always tall.

I had a pullout and replaced it with a pulldown (for reasons that had nothing to do with the pulloutednyess of it). It has a pretty big head but I guess you're right--it doesn't have a handle, just the head. I guess I like that it can dangle and still point down.

Mine is Hansgrohe Allegro Gourmet and it's big. It made it through the remodel.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Faucet: Any reason NOT to choose a pull-down spray?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks so much, very helpful -- I had no idea a pull down and a pull out were actually two different things! That thread link was so helpful, really! So I think I am going to choose a pull-OUT as I don't want a gooseneck shape and the pullouts I've seen on FaucetsDirect are the ones I naturally gravitate toward. Thanks for your help, and also for making me think about the button that can hold the spray for me. Who knew choosing one little faucet would be so involved! Now I have to start thinking about the bathroom faucets.... :-)
    ...See More

Faucet: Professional/ Pull-out/ Pull-down???

Q

Comments (6)
    Love, love, love my Ikea pulldown. No problems with retraction at all. If you search this forum (using the bottom search box) you'll see this debate comes up in here all the time, with your reason being one of hte primary cited. HOWEVER (and this is important), that's almost always people who haven't used one and only seen them in showrooms where the counterweights haven't been installed! A pulldown has a chunky weight attached to the hose under the sink, and that's what keeps it in place - totally adjustable, too. Also, there are a few pulldowns with "docking" devices - ie the twistlock Delta Leland and Victorian, and the magnetic Delta Allora. I'm a total convert to pulldowns after years of a sidesprayer. Even though it took a LOT of persuasion to get me to try one, I can't imagine having anything else now - I LOVE it. I have an Ikea Elverdam, btw - simple, but efficient and it didn't break the bank. FWIW.
    ...See More

Can you show me your pull-down spray faucet with apron front sink

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you both so much!! Those faucets look great - and probably confirm my suspicion... that all my stress about this is unnecessary... pps7 - what is your faucet? Also, do you have the same faucet on your prep sink? I'll have a 15x15 prep sink a similar distance away from the main sink and wasn't sure if I should go with the same faucet or a smaller version. circuspeanut - do you have a prep sink? If so, what did you do for your prep faucet? Also, are the little buttons next to your faucet airswitches for your disposal? I hadn't heard of these until recently and I'll have three windows in front of our sink so they may be a good option for us. What do you think of them? Any problems? Thanks!!
    ...See More

Recommendations for kitchen faucet with pull-out spray?

Q

Comments (8)
    I have this in both of my kitchen sinks (main sink and prep) and like it very much, https://www.moen.com/products/Sleek/Sleek_Spot_resist_stainless_onehandle_high_arc_pulldown_kitchen_faucet/7864SRS When we were first married we had a Peerless sink for years which was always a problem and never, ever lived up to its name. We switched to Moen and have never had a problem. Plus I know from my experience with Moen bath fixtures that if we do have a problem, their customer service will be great. The Moen tub spout we originally installed 19 years ago started leaking earlier this year, and the last time that happened, about 10 years ago, we phoned Moen customer service for a new shower valve cartridge, which they sent out cheerfully and for free. I had my doubts nine years on, but my husband called them, and sure enough, happily and for free, another shower cartridge was sent out immediately.
    ...See More
  • laughablemoments
    13 years ago

I have both in our current kitchen. My pull-out has a "prettier" faucet, but for function, I really like the pull-down one. Advantages: I can switch it between spray and regular stream with a push button. I don't have to stand there and squeeze it to make it spray. It doesn't jam up like the pull-out one tends to do. The pull-out one diverts some of the water, but leaves the rest of the water drizzling out of the faucet. The pull-down one is ALL spray, no drizzle, when I want it to spray. One thing I didn't anticipate with the pull-down model is just how TALL it is. The neck of it bumps one of my wall cabs that's really close to it a bit. Not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance that I wasn't expecting none the less.
    My pull-down one is one stem coming out of an elongated base. The pull-out one has all these separate stems coming out of the back of sink. All those stems seem to get gunkier from wet dripping hands. It's harder to clean around all those little holes than one big base.
    One down side of the pull-down is that if you want to curve the spray up into a pot that's tipped upside-down-ish over it, it can bind, similar to a garden hose, and cut off the spray action. This can be adjusted by tipping everything back downward some.
    Have you looked on Ebay for a faucet? We found a great deal on a pull-out in oil-rubbed bronze for less than $100. There were other colors as far as I know, the bronze is what we were looking for, though. Just an idea.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I don't have either, but during my Great Faucet Search I decided that I much prefer the pulldown. They feel easier ergonomically to me to use the sprayer. Both of my faucets will be Hansgrohe Talis high arc.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

wtd

We have a Franke pull out -

I don't want you to be misinformed - I'll have to politely disagree w/laughable
    "I can switch it between spray and regular stream with a push button. I don't have to stand there and squeeze it to make it spray. It doesn't jam up like the pull-out one tends to do. The pull-out one diverts some of the water, but leaves the rest of the water drizzling out of the faucet. The pull-down one is ALL spray, no drizzle, when I want it to spray. "
    Not true - perhaps with some models certainly not all - mine has diverter switch w/ease - no dripping, holding/pressing to get the faucet to do what I want - No jamming

I researched & tried MANY before choosing - wanted great function but not a tall faucet

It's personal preference -

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: GW faucet link

• holligator
    13 years ago

I researched and thought long and hard about this issue, and I chose a pull down rather than a pull out model because I liked the functionality and ergonomics so much better. I love being able to have it pulled down and on without having to hold it. I can aim it where I want it to spray and use both hands for moving things under it. My SIL has a pull out that drives me nuts to use. I didn't realize how much I appreciate the hands-free option of mine until I used hers. She always comments how much better she likes mine when she's visiting.

The only drawback of the pull down version that I can think of is the height. A tall faucet works fine in my kitchen, but it would look out of place in some.

• wtdedula
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All;
    Thanks so much for all of your great comments and ideas. They have been so helpful. It seems that the majority here perfer the pull down version. Keep those comments coming if anyone else wants to share what they have - pullout or pulldown. Thanks. Tim

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

I have a Delta Ashton pulldown. I chose Delta primarily for the magnetic docking, which is a great feature. It also had a nicely engineered weight which facilitates the spray head return. It locks into spray for stream, changing with a push of a button -- love that. It has a very flexible braided nylon hose, making it very easy to reach. The spray head itself is long enough to accommodate my hand, making it more comfortable (to me) than a Kraus model I thought looked nicer. It is quite tall, but that's ok. Another feature I love is the ease with which the neck of the faucet turns.

I did not like the way Delta designed the handle to the side, which I thought encouraged dripping all over the snik and counter, so I set mine into the sink so that the handle is angled to the right but over the sink, and switched the hot and cold faucet line. Now when I adjust the handle with wet hands, the water drips into the sink. I am very pleased with the faucet and would choose something similar again.

Good luck, the choices are overwhelming, and it is so hard to choose without being able to actually use the faucet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Ashton

• Fori
    13 years ago

It sounds like Laughable is thinking of a sidespray maybe?

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I have a Hamat pullout. I chose it partly because I didn't want a tall pulldown obstructing the view out my sink window, partly because it was a reliable brand, and partly because of the style and finish. Now that I've used it for 6 months, I'm really happy with its functionality. It reaches handily into the far corners of my huge sink and is very easy to use.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

I am linking below a very helpful older thread that lists specifically the pros and cons to each type of pull-out or pull-down faucet. Regarding Laughable's comment about the switching from spray to regular flow, I am sorry, but Laughable is misinformed. That function has nothing to do with whether a faucet is a pull-down or pull-out style. It is the manufacturer's choice to make a faucet's flow function one of the following, regardless of whether the faucet is a pull-down or pull-out: (A) the faucet has dual trigger buttons, so that the user can switch between regular flow or spray by pressing the correct button, or (B) the faucet has a "hold and release" button meaning you have to keep holding the button to keep it on spray, and when you release the button, the faucet reverts to regular flow. Sometimes it is difficult to tell by the manufacturer's description which type a faucet has. You either have to go to a showroom where one is on display, or call the manufacturer's customer service number and ask. BTW, I far prefer the method (A) I described. I don't want to have to hold down a button to keep a faucet on spray. That is the same issue I have with side sprays, which are made that way.

Regarding ergonomics, that issue goes both ways with the pull-out or pull-down. With a pull-down faucet, some feel it has better ergonomics when it is on spray, cause it is a more natural position for the hand to have the faucet pointing down. On the other hand, others feel the pull-out is more ergonomically friendly because it is closer to you, since it reaches farther into the sink than a pull-down. The pull-down is closer to the rear side of the sink, and some people find that hard on their backs or their arms. It's a matter of personal preference, and an individual thing.

The link below is educational. But the very best method to choose a faucet is to go to a showroom where they are on display and pick them up in your hand. Consider the weight, the size, the reach distance, small head or large head, how the hose feels when it is pulled (some people prefer the braided stainless, others prefer the plastic-covered; again, personal preference), and of course, the appearance. Also be aware of the height of the faucet if you have cabinets above the sink, or the reach of the faucet if your sink is not deep front to back.

Yes, the faucet choice is complicated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Educational Thread about Pull-our & Pull-down Faucets

• laughablemoments
    13 years ago

I stand re-educated (GW is great for that!) I guess my one faucet is a "sidespray model", with "(B) the faucet has a 'hold and release' button meaning you have to keep holding the button to keep it on spray, and when you release the button, the faucet reverts to regular flow." This would be my last choice, if I was to choose all over again. I much prefer the other sprayer style, overall.

• jj1smith
    13 years ago

Pull down. I have the Moen Anabelle and like everything about it.

• judeNY_gw
    13 years ago

I have one of each and much prefer the pull down. It's more ergonomically correct. The pull out is more awkward to use. Pull out is Blanco Classic satin stainless. Pull down is Hansgrohe steel optik (forget which model). Both have been installed over 5 years with no problems and work/look as they did when new.

• CJ Mac
    13 years ago

Question for mabeldingeldine: I only started today looking at faucets, and since our contractor can get us a good deal on Delta, those are the ones I'm trying to stick with.

I'm curious about your idea of angling the handle so it's over the sink. Looking at the picture of the Ashton on Delta's website, you're saying that instead of pointing straight up, you were able to install it so it sticks out over the sink? Does that get in the way of pots or anything?

Do you have an undermount sink? Just wondering if having the water drip down onto the base would be that much of a problem with an undermounted sink.

So this is just dawning on me: the pullouts have handles above and the pulldowns have handles on the side? Or is it just Delta that doesn't have a pulldown with a handle above?

• davidro1
    13 years ago

With pulldowns, often you can swivel the handle to left right or center, if it's attached to the side of the faucet's cylindrical base. Getting a handle part way up the rounded tube with the hose in it is more of a problem. I don't remember if I've seen that or not.

When the handle is centered, under the stream of a pulldown wand, you get the same advantages as when the handle is centered above a pullout wand.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I have a Moen pull-out, the standard builder kind, it was also in my last house (builder-installed). It's adequate, but largely kind of clumsy to use and I don't like the button you push to turn it from solid flow to spray because while it's docked in the sink you really need to support the thing with your left hand while pushing down on the button, otherwise you might break it over time. With both the faucets, too, the hose always gets stuck under the sink. the big weight gets caught on things.

when we redid our kitchen in the other house we replaced it with a Franke faucet with a side spray. I love a side spray! It minds its own business until called for, and then it is completely flexible and cooperative in where you want it to go. It's small and easy to handle.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

I have the price Pfister Ashfield pulldown and I love it.
    I do advise you though to go hands on with different models ( try them at the kitchen and bathroom stores and big box and plumbing stores) to get the feel.
    I found some models were too large in my hand or the switch (from spray to stream) was awkward The models don't need to be working for these tests. Even how they fit back into the base ( although for accuracy this test does need to be attached to water but you can still get a feel of it)

Have fun playing.

• dette
    13 years ago

I absolutely love my Kraus faucet that I purchased on Overstock.com for $119. The reviews sold me on this one. I had looked at all other brands in the stores and they were all lightweight feeling. This faucet is awesome. The spray and stream feature locks in place so you don't need to hold down. The water pressure on this faucet is stronger than our previous one. It is a large faucet, but I wanted something to be able to reach all areas of my 43" triple sink. It is one of my most favorite things in my updated kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

I have a pull-out in the laundry room and a pull-down in the kitchen. Both are Delta. I much prefer the pull-down. Maybe its because I use it more, as I rarely use the one in the laundry room. The pull-out is awkward to me, I end up spraying myself, the wall...BUT, it is locking - you don't have to hold down on the spray button. Just push it once and it stays.

As someone else mentioned, Delta's magnetic dock is really nice.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

A problem that I've noticed in some pictures and also on display at some of the big box stores... pull-downs that weren't always put back in... hanging down just a bit. Is that common? I think it would drive me insane if my faucet hung down a bit, not being put back in all the way.

Perhaps that's why the magnetic dock is being touted??

• epiccycle
    13 years ago

I don't think it's so easy to say one type of faucet is more ergonomic than another; two individual faucets, sure, but not an entire category. I have a KWC pullout that is very ergonomic for me; I spray the sink down by holding the handle backwards, with the spray head back towards my wrist. Rinse, push it back in, done, one hand no fumbling. The spray button is very large, covers the entire top of the spray head, and locks in place when I tap it with the heel of my hand, again a one-handed operation.

But where the pullout really shines, IMO, is when you venture beyond the sink. It's so easy to pull the handle out and up to fill the coffee maker or a stockpot on the counter. I only bought this faucet because of it's size (low and doesn't block my window) and it's handsome, modern look. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat for how it works.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I believe there may be a world of difference between the quality of the KWC pullout mentioned above and the Moen pullout previously mentioned, which stuck, was in a weak holder, needed two hands to toggle the button, and had other problems in terms of comfort, ease of use, practicality and build quality.

I believe the core structure of a pulldown obviates many of the problems that cheap pullout faucets present.

Compared to pullouts, a pulldown
    has a smaller wand which gets less in the way when you use it freehand; and
    has a rounded (wide radius curve) tube that ensures the hose moves through a regular radius of curvature instead of bending with resistance at one pinch point (perhaps it's a factor to take into consideration only with some lower quality faucets)

These two features combined make it far easier to rinse an area of a size about equal to the sink bottom, with a pulldown. When you pull out a pullout only an inch or two and then try to rinse the sink bottom, the hose kinks and stops flowing, or it gets in the way without the kink happening, but that is mechanical resistance nonetheless, which you have to work around. Also, the wand being so much longer makes it harder to pivot it around the sink bottom. When you pull out a much longer amount of hose you still do have more problems managing the hose and the long wand than with a pulldown's small wand pivoting around the sink.

These are my remarks based on observation, not seen or heard elsewhere. Please feel free to rebut or confirm.

• babs711
    12 years ago

There was a Delta pull-out in our house when we bought it. It functioned fine but I disliked the awkwardness of using it. Something about the way you had to hold it to use it in certain situations bothered me. The handle was just clumsy feeling sometimes. If I wanted to turn the head or clean the sink and turn my hand, the handle got in the way of the hose, etc.

When we renovated we replaced it with a Kohler Vinnata pull-down. I much prefer the pull-down. It's just a natural, more ergonomically correct way of using a faucet in my opinion. I like that you grip the whole head of the faucet with your whole hand and that's it...no handle to fiddle with also. And no, if the faucet is made correctly, they don't dangle. We've had ours for six years now. It retracts perfectly, doesn't tangle and always goes back in just fine.

What Frankoma states above about a pullout, stands for a pull-down also. I can fill my coffeepot or my stockpot on the counter with my pull-down just fine. It doesn't just pull DOWN, you pull it down and out too. :)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Bhamster, sorry rough week so I'm just seeing your question. I angled the faucet to the right. It does stick out over the sink, but not that far. If it were in the center it might be more intrusive, but I have plenty of room for a large pot.

I have a top mount Blanco Silgranit sink. I'm not worried about water damage, I was trying to do minimize cleanup. This model had the handle under the spout; others had the handle above the spout, but really it was more about turning the faucet on an off when my hands were wet, not them going into the water stream, so handle position was moot.

I'll try and post a photo tomorrow for you.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Bhamster, here are pics of my offset faucet

Forgive the window trim. It was going to be removed during my mini makeover, but we found it was glued and nailed in, and to remove would have caused to much damage. So after the fact, I need to sand and re-finish, sigh.

And the Delta website pic of the Ashton

• mudworm
    12 years ago

Oh my, I can't believe my eyes! mabeldingeldine, what you have is exactly what I've been looking for (in this Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really? thread) -- a top mount Blanco Silgranit sink!

Could you please post a few pictures of your sink (more complete view) in that thread? Are you still happy with your decision to do top mount?

• shelayne
    12 years ago

mudworm, if you are trying to get info from mabeldingeldine, go ahead and post a thread with her name in it. That is how people generally try to get a GWer's attention. Usually, "Calling mabeldingeldine" will work just fine. I have both done it, and was called out that way. It works. ;^)

• mudworm
    12 years ago

Hi shelayne, thanks so much for making that suggestion! I was just going to do just and guess what, mabeldingeldine posted the photos I had been waiting for! What a great GW community!

I learned a lot from this thread and I think I have my search criteria on the faucet pretty clear now: It needs to be a pulldown faucet, it's nice to have a locking mechanism to "remember" my stream/spray setting from previous use, and it'll be even nicer if I can angle the faucet head to point at an angle (like this Kohler Vinnata buehl posted in this thread).

(source: buehl in this thread).

• Marian Erikson
    12 years ago

This has been very informative for me too, and timely - I need to make my purchase this week. And thank you, akchicago, for posting the link to that previous educational thread. A few tidbits of info on that thread actually led me back to a pull-out; where the water stream is within the sink, and where the handles typically are. I have two young kids, so a pull-out where the water stream is further towards the middle of the sink (rather than the back) makes it easier for them to reach/use. Also, one of them is left-handed, so the pull-out with the handle right on top would be easier for her, rather than pull-downs where the handles are often on the right. And this never would have occurred to me, but someone pointed out that you don't have to reach your hand around and grab a pull-out facing forwards, just grab it and use it "backwards":-)

• Nileen J
    5 years ago

mabeldingeldine_gw How’s your Delta Ashton holding up nowadays?

• mabeldingeldine
    5 years ago

Nileen J We sold that home 2.5 years ago, and at the time the faucet was still working and looking like new. I'd definitely consider another one.

• Nileen J
    5 years ago

Great to hear that! Thank you