SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Foreclosure appraisals

marys1000
16 years ago

There was a house on the mls for 229,000 (I think I remember that right) that later showed up on the auction list, it was cancelled just before the auction so I thought the owner had managed to save his house (the thought of which made me happy even though I liked the property). Then a couple of months later it showed up on the mls, but by the time I called already had an offer. Now I get an email from the realtor I talked to saying the financing fell through and its back on the market (I can't believe he actually kept my number). The price is now 199,000 but the realtor I've been talking to (he's in the same broker office but not the listing realtor) says it needs probably 50,000 to 70,000 worth of work. It is being sold as is by the owner I think.

I guess I'm wondering about why the offer might have fallen through. The county has it assessed at 182,000. I've been told that county assessments, which are for tax purposes, are usually 10-20% below "appraised" assessments. But I'm not sure whether that's a bank appraisal or a realtors appraisal which I think are pretty different right?

Is it possible that the financing fell through because of the bank appraisal? What would a bank appraisal consider in a situation like this? Where the owner seems to have liens on the house (otherwise it would not have gone to auction) that seem to be in excess of a price that the house has been maintained to.

Or is this not worth wondering about because I don't have enough information? :)

Before reading a lot on this forum and the "meltdown" I was not all that aware of how important bank appraisals were to the process of buying and selling. Heck I don't think I was aware that there were 3 different appraisals, for 3 different things. (I do have that right don't I?)

Comment (1)