SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
ncamy_gw

I think I've lost my mind....two extremes

ncamy
10 years ago

After buying the lot three years ago and still waiting to build, four days ago I completely flip-flopped on the design and feel of the plans for the interior of the house. For years I've planned on building an Arts and Crafts style bungalow with quarter sawn oak and dark, rich walls and earthy tiles. Not just for the kitchen but for the whole downstairs since the living is open to the dining room which is open to the kitchen. The lot is an infill lot and I am very determined to fit in appropriately both inside and out.

Then out of the blue a couple of days ago, I said, "Why don't we go with more of a cottage bungalow look and painted woodwork!" There are all sorts of pros to this: we can repurpose furniture that we already own. The trimwork will surely be less expensive since we now won't be using a special cut wood. I also will have many, many more choices in cabinetry since painted cabinets can be found from nearly all manufacturers. Then there was the fact that I browsed through all of the local houses on the market that were built between 1900 and 1950 and over 90% of them had white painted kitchens. (So I don't think we will be hurting ourselves resell-wise.) I am now dreaming of glass doorknobs and painted furniture....

The problems are also numerous. We, and especially my DH, do not like white kitchens. To us they always look dirty or at least show the dirt too easily for our liking. Yes, we are slobs. Despite many beautiful kitchens on GW, I am almost repulsed by the genericness of the white kitchen with soapstone and stainless. It also doesn't come across very homey or "Come and rough me up a bit and live a little" to me. Sorry JMHO. Yet I'm finding myself imagining a white kitchen. How can I have such conflicted feelings?

OK so let's get over this plain white bit and discuss my options. I'm open to painted cabinets. I would love to do something real special with the backsplash and with colors. The colors we will use throughout the house will be blue, green, red, and golden yellows all in muted shades. I would still like to have a soapstone counter and at least one of the hutch areas will have a piece of "living edge" wood counter on it. Originally I had planned on doing black appliances since I am not a fan of stainless, but now I don't know. We're trying to figure out how we can swing a paneled fridge, but not a built-in one. My DH likes the idea of some of the cabinets being painted black and some white and maybe just maybe some yet another color.

Too much??? Should I stick to color on the backsplash and just the island? Help? Pictures would be great, but I'll probably start another thread on that. I would like your thoughts on my ideas of a complete turn around. I do need to resist making the design too feminine, because this time I promised my DH that it would be OUR house. Since he is my personal chef, I feel obliged!

Comments (25)