SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmelko_gw

Define 'Dated'

mmelko
17 years ago

I have my house for sale and there seems to be a recurring theme comment that my house is "dated." Now I know we all watch those shows that are all about selling your house - and you often hear them describe something as "dated."

So I was just wondering what does "dated" mean to you?

Dated to me is popcorn ceilings, vinyl tile, green and gold formica countertops, in fact anything avodvado green and harvest gold.

Using my apparently "dated" house as an example - see link below - I'd like to poll the group to get your opinions or even better your pictoral examples of what you define as "dated." I think it will help a lot of us to know what strikes someone as dated and needs updating.

Share what you would do to update a particular room - that would be cool too. Not everyone is going to get the Designed to Sell crew to show up and help them fix their house or can afford a "Stager" So feel free to be blunt but try to be helpful too.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Visual Tour

Comments (125)

• westranch
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Picked up at 7:00. Dinner at 8:00. Movie at 10:00. Then, back home for some.......oops, wrong forum.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Funny Westranch, it took me a couple of minutes to realize you were defining a different kind of "dated"

• Related Discussions

I could use some advice (sorry, kinda long)

Q

Comments (55)
    Linda, dropping dirt is exactly what I do ha. I work for a propogating nursery and we have huge compost piles outside which we are generously allowed to use. I take two big plastic boxes left over from when we moved here and fill them every day with the compost (mostly dirt but lots of interesting stuff comes up in it). I take it home and drop it on the sand until I have the size or shape garden I want. I plant it and eventually I border it with dropped cement. I've made about seven gardens of different sizes doing this. Seriously I could drop the dirt and water it and all kinds of goodies would pop up (along with weeds). I've had datura, viola, spiderwort, hyssop and of course petunias come up in it. Adele
    ...See More

Are Beaded Chandeliers Dated?

Q

Comments (31)
    This one is on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Co-Op-Beaded-Chandelier-Height/dp/B00K8E3AAA If you have to ask and consider the fixture an investment, I would stick to a Target or Amazon level fixture, seek out options on Etsy or resale options you might paint to suit. You don't buy a $5k fixture if you don't consider it a classic and know you will always love it -- or you can afford to redecorate floor to ceiling when you tire of it. I don't think that fixture will ever be a harvest gold stove kind of thing because the harvest gold stove was in nearly every kitchen that didn't have an avocado green one. They were both common place -- like the faux brass fixtures that gave brass a bad name for so long. What it will always be is a highly stylized piece that will appeal to a limited number of people and fit a limited number of places. So, do you love it and will you be willing to make it a feature when you redecorate -- or be willing to donate it to Habitat when you tire of it? I think those are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself -- not whether other people give a hoot. it. For the record, I like it and think something like that would be fun in an office, kid's room -- maybe a bathroom, but I wouldn't spend 4 figures on it.
    ...See More

The (deeper) meaning of "dated" and other things

Q

Comments (102)
    Would love to see pics of the floral linoleum and pewter countertop, mtnrd. I think I saw pics of the "zinc" counters way back when but would love to see them now. I think it helps to remember that not everyone, especially in our own individual real life real worlds, is design obsessed, or in the words of the Kitchen forum, TKO (Totally Kitchen Obsessed) : ) . So there are likely a lot of uncommon, unusual (and probably not that expensive) choices people could make for their houses, compared to what the Joneses in the area are doing. Around here (rural Canadian prairie), granite and stainless steel appliances are still considered a big upgrade; my sisters-in-law recently forcibly rid my MIL of her mauve wallpaper border and co-ordinating items with mauve/baby blue geese with neck ribbons. Where we are, even Ikea (esp kitchen and bathroom cabinetry) counts as odd, unusual, and suspiciously foreign : ) . Put Armac Martin brass hardware on them in the kitchen, and blue-and-white melon knobs from India on them in the bathroom, and you're an oddity indeed. I have yet to order the blue and white tiles (probably talavera or Tabarka) for the kitchen backsplash, and anything that isn't earth-tone mosaic tiles on mesh is going to cement my reputation as the county lunatic... It is their job to keep tweaking things so that every little thing in your life looks off every few years and must be done away with! Yes. Planned obsolescence, grrr....
    ...See More

Interior Define vs. West Elm sectional

Q

Comments (8)
    I don't have any true guidance on West Elm although I've heard that their quality can be questionable and since they don't have reviews on their website you do have to dig around and find forums like this. I am glad to see they finally added more performance fabric options to their customizable pieces. As far as Interior Define though I want to get it out there that the performance plush velvet scratches!! We’ve had our sofa for exactly one week (after waiting six months which was longer than their 18-22 weeks they said initially) and our cat who has simply run across it has caused deep gouges all over it that I don’t foresee a remedy for. This fabric is touted as kid and pet friendly! Even though a cat might be deterred to intentionally scratch this type of fabric it is still delicate. We ordered the Tatum sectional with the down alternative fill - which you'll find lots of complaints about the regular down fill and the slouching. I will say it does feel substantial and overall good quality. The cushions are very heavy and so I'm hoping will keep their shape. In my research I haven’t come across anyone talking about this fabric issue. After this much waiting and $5K it’s pretty depressing.
    ...See More
  • Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I had to go back and re-view the virtual tour to find the food in the bathroom. There it was!

It probably should be moved.. in addition to being icky, it gives the impression that there's not enough room for food storage in the kitchen.

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

"Dated" is between 15 and 40 years old. Older than that and it's "vntage" and even older "antique.

Nice house. What really jumped out at me were those plaid wingback chairs in the family room. I also think there's too much ornate furniture in some of the rooms for contemporary tastes. You might want to clear a few more things out and put them in storage.

• gracifer
    17 years ago

Or maybe they just shop a lot at Sams Wholesale. So you fixate on some pics of cans and boxes of food. Looks like it's a wall of extra storage. It's pretty obvious from the way too many kitchen shots they have plenty of cabinets in the kitchen.

Some of you have gone beyond critiquing and are now criticizing. That's not being very helpful.

For heaven's sakes, most of us don't have the luxury of having a separate water closet and we keep our toothbrushes in our bathrooms, most sinks are pretty close to the you know what. How icky is that?

I feel sorry for the chairs.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Just my opinion, but the chairs are not going yo keep someone from buying a 'dated' home. I also believe that each person has their own perception of *what* is dated, and it's not fact, just opinion.

I would buy the house based on square footage because that IS what you pay for. With a price of $335K and over 3100 sq ft, I see it as a great buy! Nothing more than a little 'reconstructive surgery' and you have a great home. Oh, and throw in the chairs as the door prize. ;o)

patty_cakes

• reno_fan
    17 years ago

the chairs are not going yo keep someone from buying a 'dated' home

You'd be surprised at just how many people cannot overlook such things. I can tell you that I've personally dealt with people who would not but the house if the furnishings strike them as "dated". Conversely, I've seen people buy really bad houses just because the seller had gorgeous furniture and decorations. It's head-scratching behavior for a lot of people, but the fact is, people do get hung up on these things.

• solie
    17 years ago

"Some of you have gone beyond critiquing and are now criticizing. That's not being very helpful."

Agree. It's a nice house with nice furnishings. Yeah, some things could be a little more appealing to a younger buyer, but I see no defects.

I wonder what percentage of the market can't see past furnishings? Don't most people imagine their own furnishings when they view a place? People have a strong tendency to work their living space around their furniture rather than their furniture around their living space. I suspect that in some cases when the furniture doesn't look right to buyers it's really becasue the space requires unique furnishings and their stuff won't work either. I know I've looked at $1 mio. + homes and worried about where my couches will go.

Maybe I should start a website business - "furniture exchange" - where people can exchange their nice, but inappropriate furniture for someone else's nice but inappropriate furniture. People never want to sell their inappropriate furniture because they get so little for it. Maybe an exchange would be more palatable. Especially with a middleman (me) refereeing condition.

• IdaClaire
    17 years ago

You'd be surprised at just how many people cannot overlook such things. I can tell you that I've personally dealt with people who would not but the house if the furnishings strike them as "dated". Conversely, I've seen people buy really bad houses just because the seller had gorgeous furniture and decorations. It's head-scratching behavior for a lot of people, but the fact is, people do get hung up on these things.

I believe you - but it scares me that people are really that dumb. :-/

• housenewbie
    17 years ago

I think, bottom line, 'dated' means people say 'Oh, I remember that from my 4th-grade friend's house! Haven't seen that [whatever] in years!'

Of course, eventually it becomes popular again. Like bell-bottoms (pardon me, 'flare leg') and brown belted sweaters.

Maybe the OP should just move her stuff to Maine and sell the place empty. Then no one can fixate on her furniture or whathaveyou.

• terezosa / terriks
    17 years ago

I believe you - but it scares me that people are really that dumb. :-/

It's not that they are dumb, it's just that some people simply "think" differently. Just like some kids learn differently. Some of us are more visual learners, others more auditory. Plus, when there are lots of homes to choose from people will be pickier, and choose the house that they perceive as needing the least work.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Even if some of the posts seem more critical than critiqueing, it's all valuable feedback that gives the OP a good idea of how their home is perceived. If they're serious about selling they'll listen, as hard as it is.

• IdaClaire
    17 years ago

I still call it "dumb." Perception is not the same as reality, and if people can't see past things such as plaid wingchairs to a great house, and conversely become so enchanted with the gorgeous living room that's straight off the Pottery Barn catalog cover that they don't notice the house is a piece of crap -- that's not about thinking or learning differently. That's about making up your mind based on something other than facts. And IMO, that's just dumb.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Good post Auntjen -- I sometimes have to wonder when I walk into a room that looks like they opened up page 50 of the Pottery Barn catalog and ordered everything on the page. What do they do with all that stuff in 2 years when it becomes "dated"? Open up the next catalog and order an entire new room?

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

Well, it may be dumb, but it's also reality that a lot of people can't see past such things. So if the OP wants to sell her house, she should probably get rid of the chairs.

• dgmarie
    17 years ago

Let's not take things so personally. It's property. He want's to sell it. He wants to know WHY people think it is dated. It's not like someone said his kids were ugly.

As for the "people are so dumb they can't see through what it is to see what it can become." Well, thanks for the condesending tone. In reality, this is exactly what MANY people cannot do, which is why the home decorating forum is chock a block full of people who can't determine wall color, curtains or furniture for their spaces. Goodness how many times do we hear realtors tell you to de-personalize the space? Because buyers want to see themselves in your home, a reflection hopefully of their personality, not yours.

A home is a product, yes, but like all products it is the full experience that people walk away will based on all the aspects of the home. Furniture dirty? Maybe they're just messy, or maybe the home is not well cared for. Furniture dated. Maybe they like it, or maybe the homeowner hasn't gotten around to updating other mechanicals in the house either. House smells? Maybe it just needs candles, or maybe there's rot. These are all equally absurd but I can't deny that the feeling I got when I walked into the "right one" had more to do with just room dimensions. It is humanly subjective.

• c9pilot
    17 years ago

cordovamom said: What do they do with all that stuff in 2 years when it becomes "dated"? Open up the next catalog and order an entire new room?

Yes, "they" do. I have a relative who completely re-decorates her house about every few years. Paint, borders, wall hangings, window treatments, furniture, bedding, etc. Since the kids are growing, the bedrooms change about every other year. The other rooms only change every 3-4 years. (Luckily, I get some of the discards.)

Okay, so this thread is making me crazy. I just closed last week on a home that we bought in November and will be moving out this spring (DH) and summer (the rest of us). We started looking online (through an agent, who we stuck with throughout) last summer, when we were considering this new town across the country. Of note, we physically walked through the homes that met our specs (BR, BA, pool, or room for one later, deep water, etc.) regardless of how they looked online. Almost without fail, the homes that had been sitting on the market had the loveliest websites & flyers, looked the shoddiest in person. Sometimes we could hardly believe it was the same house. Anyway, my attitude about those online virtual tours is quite skeptical.
    The two-dozen or so houses we saw were all built in the 70's. They all fell basically into two categories: "dated" which meant no changes in 30 years, and "remodeled" which meant new cosmetic upgrades. The price difference was roughly $200K between the two types. What there seemed to be no difference, price-wise, was whether they had new roofs, new HVAC, or new/re-built pools or seawalls, all of which can be quite pricey and/or structurally important.

One house, of note, was priced at the "remodeled" level, yet had: lime green formica cabinets in the kitchen & one bathroom, lime green toilet/sink, shiny wallpaper, deep shag carpeting, huge striped wallpaper, dark brown bedroom, you get the idea. The house was empty. Might have been high style in 1971, but now...maybe a really great decorator could work with it. Bottom line is that the sellers loved it and thought it was quite valuable, but everyone else thought it was "dated".

Our choice? A structurally sound, "dated" home for the lower price, with floor plan potential. We'll use the money we "saved" to remodel the home to our liking (and put in a pool later).

So I hope ya'll think we're "smart" because we "could see through what it is to see what it can become".

I hope mmelko can find a "smart" buyer, as well.

Lisa A.

• sparksals
    17 years ago

solie:
    I wonder what percentage of the market can't see past furnishings? Don't most people imagine their own furnishings when they view a place? People have a strong tendency to work their living space around their furniture rather than their furniture around their living space. ======

I have alot of trouble visualizing these things and I am usually incorrect thinking something will fit when it doesn't. If I walk into a prospective home and it's filled with dated furniture and decor, I just don't have the ability to visualize how my stuff will look in there, especially if it's so cluttered.

I'm one of those who has a hard time picking coordinating colours for renos. It takes me forever because i just can't imagine how it will all look together.

So, if I can't picture my stuff in a home, I won't buy it. Lots of furniture and out of date things will make it even more difficult for me to envision.

• reno_fan
    17 years ago

So, if I can't picture my stuff in a home, I won't buy it. Lots of furniture and out of date things will make it even more difficult for me to envision.

That's it. That's what drives people away b/c of furnishings.

And I don't care what anyone says about houses being just a commodity and a product. In my experience, it's *rare* to have anyone completely detach from the emotions of buying a house, and strictly deal with the nuts and bolts of the construction.

If a buyer cannot make an emotional connection, they will find each room in the house more and more disappointing. Sad to say, furniture does make a difference in that emotional connection. So while that might be "dumb", it's also, as rivkadr said, reality.

• mythak
    17 years ago

I'm like sparksals-- I have a hard time visualizing what works and what fits. I know what I like, but have a hard time getting there.
    I also have furniture passed down that doesn't go together and a house from the 1970s that is way dated --- way more so than the house shown, though the exterior would be easier to update. We bought our 1970s house six years ago because it was on the lake. We looked beyond the popcorn ceiling, the narrow wood-stained trim (I actually like nice wood stained trim-- this wasn't.) We looked beyond the world's most ugly newel, the bathroom with a fire engine red shower, the brick wall, the out of code stairs and balcony rails,quarry tile floors. The list goes on.

I have only regrets. We love our neighbors, and I love the view so much I don't know if I could move, but we can't afford to make the changes it would to make this house fit our not-so dated tastes. Even if we did have the money, it would be a bad investment unless we planned to stay for the rest of our lives. We bought it because it was a great view and a great deal. We were right about one of the two.

Fixing dated isn't always a matter of a bit of paint or even a few tens of thousand in improvements. It takes vision and money.

Now I wouldn't buy house that was $80k less that the others if I couldn't make the updates for less than that. I wouldn't buy a house with an exterior style that I didn't love unless I could change that style easily.

Mmelco said to "feel free to be blunt" It is hard take bluntness. I know I can't.

If I had $320,000 and really wanted to live in that neighborhood, I still would probably pass on this house because the stuff I consider both dated and not to my taste (the exterior and the brick walls) couldn't be fixed at a reasonable cost.

There is dated and there is "dated deal breakers"
    I agree that the house will have the right buyer. If it is a great neighborhood with a house priced way below the others but offering the same square feet and all, it will sell... but it might take a while to find that person.

I would wonder if it might sell quicker if it were listed with an agent.

Many people don't use the computer for house buying. They might look at the outside of the house, and just drive by (not even get out of the car to pick up the flier that would show the house is a deal) An agent though, might be able to convince clients to just "peek inside" It's a great house inside-- you just have to get people inside.

• ellenj
    17 years ago

Here's what dated means.

{{gwi:2002761}}
    House Before and Afters...

I'm remodeling as I can afford it. Its a 1950 split level. Some like the style, some don't. I do. Its not modern, its not new.

I have looked past decor. Lucky me for others couldn't and I winded up with the great deal.

By the way, your house was great. You think that house was dated? Who cares about the chairs? I bringing my own chairs when I move in!

• valtog
    17 years ago

I've actually seen both sides of this. The house we bought before our current home was a cosmetic nightmare. The kitchen had orange formica countertops, one light fixture in the kitchen that looked like it belonged in an operating room, "brick" vinyl on the kitchen floor, army green paint in one bedroom, peeling latex paint on the beautiful pumpkin pine floors, umpteen unfinished or really poorly done (interior, easily undone) remodeling efforts...that's just the beginning. It was a vacant foreclosure, dirt cheap. My husband looked in the window and said, "Do you even want to look at this?" What I saw was a well-built, beautiful New England farmhouse with some lovely Victorian details in a great neighborhood. We spent the next 8 years restoring it. If my husband's commute hadn't ballooned to over an hour, I'd still be there.
    The flip side. We are looking to move again and we looked at a 1740 colonial ship captain's home. It was in a nice neighborhood, had some lovely details, but there was so much clutter, I couldn't even envision the function of some of the rooms. It was very large, with 17 rooms. That may have been part of the problem. For me, at least, I can see past some things, but not all. I thought the OP's house was very nice. I did notice the chairs, but it's furniture and certainly wouldn't effect my decision about whether I'd buy it. On the other hand, I can be distracted by clutter. Maybe others are distracted by furnishings. Anyway, good luck and hope you sell soon!

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Ellen!! That was one scary house! It was worse than the dated 50's ranch I bought that had orange countertops and carpet that was supposed to look like wood planks! Good job. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time, money or most importantly the vision to do what you did. But it really does give a lot of satisfaction doesn't it, to bring a property from the past into the present?

• laura1202
    17 years ago

renofan wrote: Sad to say, furniture does make a difference in that emotional connection. So while that might be "dumb", it's also, as rivkadr said, reality.

What about selling a vacant house then? Ours is going back on the market (vacant) today. Since we moved out, we have had many of the rooms repainted, the hardwood refinished, the carpet professionally steam cleaned and the house professionally deep cleaned. My Realtor doesn't want to "stage" it, he says it stands on its own.

I know when I was looking at POHs I liked looking at vacant houses because I am a buyer who has a hard time seeing past clutter (hate it) and decor and furnishings that are not to my taste.

What has been your experience with this, renofan (and others)?

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

I admit to preferring to look at a vacant house, not because I can't look past clutter or other's furnishings, but simply because I don't feel I'm invading someone's space or privacy by spending as much time as I like looking around and also I get to see the true condition of the carpets, floors, walls etc. Of the 7 houses I've bought, 6 have been vacant. But I have made offers that weren't accepted on several others that were furnished, furnishings don't turn me off, I'm not buying the furnishings. But I'm also not of the mindset that staging a vacant home with furniture helps it to sell. Other people like to see a well staged home. I think an experienced buyer knows what to look for irregardless of the home being vacant, staged or furnished poorly.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

laura1202, I bought and sold empty houses this past year. I prefer empty due to the lack of distractions. I can look past furnishings but jammed-packed with clutter is difficult. I love to see the house with all its flaws, weaknesses, positives and strengths.

My house sold fast empty - it showed beautifully (the 21 x 22 living room with freshly screened hardwood floors grabbed you the second you walked in from the foyer).

The house we purchased was empty except for a dining room set. The story of the house we purchased: It was initially listed in the spring. The owners had put the formal dining room set into the formal living room using the formal living room as their formal dining room. The house was listed fully furnished. According to the seller's realtor (she told our realtor who told us), people found it so distracting and commented so negatively, the house sat for 60 days until they pulled it off the market. It was relisted for a week when we bought it - the dining set had moved to the formal dining room, the rest of the house emptied.

I don't believe we'd have done more then comment on the placement of the dining room set in the formal living room; we'd have still purchased the home. However, many other people could not see past that. Sometimes, furniture does have a negative impact.

• lala44
    17 years ago

This whole "dated" thing is relevant to the price. I don't understand people who are looking at the low to mid price range for their area and are expecting the very best. Not every house in every price range can be "updated".
    I would expect at the top of the price range that the houses be updated with all of the lastest bells and whistles.

In my area the lowest price is $250,000 for a manufactured double wide up to $2 million for waterfront with view. You can't expect the $350,000 house to have all of the updates. Our home is $475,000 and has not been totally updated by today's standards. We have oak custom cabinets, carpet and vinyl floors. Some people come through and say that it needs some updates. We agree that it does by "today's standard". We are unable to pay for those updates. That is why our price is lower. Our home is clean and neutral and realtors say that it shows well.
    Who is to say that in 10 years people will be saying: "oh my, that house is so dated with its stainless appliances, granite counter tops, cherry floor and maple cabinets."

• minet
    17 years ago

The house we just bought was vacant. I think we saw only 2 or 3 vacant houses during our search. I'd rather have empty than cluttered. You can really see the house and it's flaws or beauty or possibilities when it's empty.

For some people, having some furniture in there helps to show the size of the rooms. Will my bed fit in here? Will my sofa and chair fit in that room? How about the desk in the office? And the entertainment center?

• westranch
    17 years ago

Ellenj, you've done a great job with the remodel. You're right. The decor looked more 70's than the 70's!
    I cringe when I watch those shows on HGTV where someone has spent $36k on an 6x8 bathroom. My home was (and still is) very dated. I've just changed some trim colors to white and added paint where needed. Congratulations!

• terezosa / terriks
    17 years ago

Ellen, That was probably one groovy pad back in the day!

• c9pilot
    17 years ago

OMG - that blue & green paisley ceiling just is unbelievable!

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Ellen -- that house is so retro that it's probably in again.

• thistle5
    17 years ago

We bought our first house 2.5 yrs. ago, at what might have been the top of the local RE market here in NOVA. It seemed very expensive to us, as first-time home buyers, coming from areas where the housing closts were less, but we knew (from keeping up w/ the local market-we lived here for 3 yrs., then moved away for 10 months)that we were fortunate to find our house.

It was built in '67 & while some areas remain 'dated'-we can't do anything about the small bedrooms or master bath, the POs had updated some portions that were crucial-the kitchen was what sold me on the house. The PO/realtor did a great job at staging the house, they removed alot of stuff, & we could see past the minimal furniture & decor left in the house (& visualize the library & dining rm., w/out carpet, w/ hdwoods refinished)-to see what it would look like when we moved in.
    For me, in addition to the other pluses to the location(proximity to work, good schools), the genuine benefits turned out to be the great neighbors & large yard, to build a garden...

• terri0628
    17 years ago

I'm new to this forum but have found it very interesting. What brought me here is that I'm shopping for property to rehab and have gained insight on several threads so far. I've been following this one because I recently sold my own house that was dated in some of the same ways, e.g. oak cabinets, wood trim, etc. However, despite even having popcorn ceilings, it sold FSBO to the first couple who looked at it. They liked enough of the positive aspects such as the neighborhood and reasonable price. The house was in good condition, just was built in the 80s and it showed. If it had been completely re-modeled, I would have asked a much higher price.

I cannot understand why some buyers look at fairly priced older homes expecting them to have the same features as new construction.

Good luck to the OP - I'm sure you'll find the right buyer too!

• reno_fan
    17 years ago

Vacant houses (around here) take longer to sell, and are a "harder" sell. When a couple walks into a house, and there is nothing there, they immediately notice the worn carpet, the crack in the wall, the nail holes, etc. Also, like minet said, For some people, having some furniture in there helps to show the size of the rooms. Will my bed fit in here? Will my sofa and chair fit in that room? How about the desk in the office? And the entertainment center? For those folks who just do not have that kind of "eye" for rooms, a vacant house is the kiss of death. One, they're only seeing the flaws, and two, they cannot visualize furniture placement and scale without existing furniture being used as a guideline.

That's why the "staging" thing is so big; you put in enough furniture to make an impact, yet you leave the clutter and the personal effects out.

As I said, it's rare and it's the exception to find house hunters that don't need an emotional connection to purchase.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Reno_fan, if I recall correctly, you are realtor. Do you know of any studies that have taken houses that have started the selling process empty and timed their DOM? I ask because many people repeat the idea that empty houses take longer to sell (not in my limited experience) but I wonder if that is because those houses had "issues"? So if the house has a problem, it did not sell with furnishings, then the people moved on and it did not sell for a while empty due to the same issues. It would then have been sold empty, but it started furnished.

I'd love to see a real study:

House started on the market empty = DOM
    House was furnished = DOM

The study would have to compare the same market - empty in Chicago vs furnished in Orlando isn't going to work, different markets. The study would not be perfect because each house is different, but it would give a rough idea.

Has anything like that ever been done? I know a lot of stagers would be SOL if it was discovered that empty houses sold just as well as furnished houses. And, where did the idea that furnished houses sell better come from? Was there research?

• reno_fan
    17 years ago

Well, I recall seeing something a while back in a trade-rag magazine that gave the statistic that "staged" home sold on average close to 50% faster, and for up to 30% more. However, I think the statistics are only as good as the survey-takers, IYKWIM. There are too many variables to make that data reliable.

Just from personal experience with our little market, I can tell you that the empty homes take longer to sell.

There was a house in a very nice neighborhood that had been on the market for EVER. It was a beautiful home. However, it was vacant. The house changed hands when a new realtor took the listing. She had it staged, and it sold within 30 days. (It had been on the market something close to 198 days with the previous realtor, and an additional 60-something days with another realtor before that one.)

Again, too many variables to even make a good conclusion. It could have been the new energy brought by the new realtor. It could have been the market.

But I personally showed this house, and while buyers *loved* the exterior (it looked like something from a tv show...stunning) they were just so underwhelmed when they enetered.

There was nothing to look at, save for the walls. The floor plan was great, but there was nothing to make you stop and linger in a room. So buyers would keep walking and keep walking, and wouldn't stay in one room, even when I tried to slow them down.

And believe me, those that "can't see it" with regards to a home's potential resent greatly being told "what you could do with the place". They either feel it, or they don't. They either want to do work to a house, or they don't. All the "selling" in the world will not make a "can't see it" person turn into a "can see it" person.

That's the trouble with houses, and why it can be so difficult to find buyers. The vast majority of lookers are "can't see its". So you have to know that and expect that when selling. Yes, you can say "the right buyer is out there", but you also have to know your market. It can a looooong time to find that right buyer if the majority of the shoppers can't visualize for themselves what your home offers.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Well, I recall seeing something a while back in a trade-rag magazine that gave the statistic that "staged" home sold on average close to 50% faster, and for up to 30% more. However, I think the statistics are only as good as the survey-takers, IYKWIM. There are too many variables to make that data reliable.

Yeah, I agree. I hope some day someone will perform a comprehensive study. But like you said unless it is a completely disinterested party....

Thanks for answering. :-)

• terezosa / terriks
    17 years ago

Well, there's a reason why builders have furnished and decorated model homes. They wouldn't put the money into it if it didn't sell houses.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Well, there's a reason why builders have furnished and decorated model homes.

And what is the reason? They want you to "feel at home"? Has it been tried recently without decor? Or is that just the way we've always done it?

As I said I'd love to see a non-biased research study on the subject. Model homes might make excellent data sources. Except for the lot, they are as alike as possible without the variables that existing homes might have.

• laura1202
    17 years ago

reno fan wrote: Vacant houses (around here) take longer to sell, and are a "harder" sell. When a couple walks into a house, and there is nothing there, they immediately notice the worn carpet, the crack in the wall, the nail holes, etc.

Thanks for the response. None of those negatives apply to my house thank goodness--we literally have done everything possible to improve it before listing it. And since the house is a nice size (4,000+ sq ft) there aren't likely to be many worries about furniture fitting, etc.

Staging is not common at all in my area (NoVA), at least it hasn't been up until now.

I'm hoping that someone will make the "emotional connection" you're talking about based on the quality of the home itself and the fact that it is in 100% move in condition.

• sparksals
    17 years ago

My first thought when seeing a vacant home is that there must be something wrong with it that it didn't sell prior to the owners leaving.

I know there are situations where they have a job transfer, etc., but it always leaves a question in my mind as to why it hasn't sold.

I wouldn't be adverse to buying a vacant home, but I would be alot more careful about it.

• susanjn
    17 years ago

sparksals,

Some people just don't want the hassle of living in a home that has to be kept show-ready. I think you are assuming too much. In a way you can be less careful about a vacant house since there is nothing hidden by rugs and furniture.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Another great benefit to looking at a vacant house is that you don't have to worry about the seller vacating the home on time, don't have to worry about their new home financing falling through, or any one of those chain of events that could mess of possession. Owners of vacant houses are usually very amenable to allowing you to come in and measure for new carpet, drapes, etc before you take possession. One time we were transfered and wouldn't look at anything but vacant homes because literally we had a weekend to find a home and had to have quick possession because we had already sold our home!! Quick possession is a big plus for some people.

• berniek
    17 years ago

Looks like someone actually did a study about home merchandising.

• dekeoboe
    17 years ago

laura1202 - I see that your house is back on the market. It sure does look a lot different with the changes you made and without furniture.

We bought our house vacant. Didn't make a bit of difference to us. Actually, in one way it was probably easier. We were moving to the area, but didn't have to worry about not being able to attend a walk-through since nothing was there to hide any damage and there was not going to be any moving out damage.

• berniek
    17 years ago

Another interesting article:
    "According to a report by the Christian Science Monitor, March 2006, staged homes sell for 7.4 percent more and twice as fast."

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Bereniek: nother interesting article:
    "According to a report by the Christian Science Monitor, March 2006, staged homes sell for 7.4 percent more and twice as fast."

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Staging Your Vacant House

Actually that article is of no interest because the woman appears to be a stager of sorts. The CSM article may be promising. Hopefully I can view the article and determine the source data.

I wish the first article didn't rely so heavily on home builders and marketers. They have an definite monetary interest in their provided data.

I think what I need to search out is the raw, unbiased data of a marketer. But then I wonder if the marketer can be unbiased if they are trying to sell a marketing strategy? And, I wonder if it would be obtainable?

It is a quandary.

Thanks for some leads, Berniek. I appreciate the effort.

• gracifer
    17 years ago

I wonder if professionally "staging" a home gives the buyer of an existing home the feel of new construction. Because otherwise, it doesn't make any logical sense to expect an existing house that is listed at say $150 per sq/ft to be the same as new construction selling for $200 sq/ft.

If you want new, you should buy new. My experience has been that existing construction is a much better buy even if you have to do some "updating."

The floor plan and cost per sq. fot is primary for me. Furniture or not it does not make a difference, I've bought both. Size and function of the rooms matters to me. Then when I am reasonably OK with that, we look to see what the status is of the major systems, the roof, AC, etc.

• jy_md
    17 years ago

Vacant houses (around here) take longer to sell, and are a "harder" sell. When a couple walks into a house, and there is nothing there, they immediately notice the worn carpet, the crack in the wall, the nail holes, etc.

That's what we noticed almost immediately when we moved out of our old house into our new house - the badly worn carpet, all the places where the paint faded, the nail holes, the worn trim, the list went on and on. Like Laura, we spent a lot of time and money eliminating these things.

One thing my agent told me that was nice about our vacant house - no funny odors - the big one, mildew, was missing in the basement, but also no cooking odors, no room "freshener", no kitty litter, no wet fur. It was a clean non-odor and she said the non-existence of odor made an impression on buyers.