SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

high voltage power lines

3katz4me
15 years ago

What do you all think about buying or selling a house near high voltage power lines? What % of people do you think would consider buying in this kind of location? I've read all kinds of things about how living by power lines is bad for your health but I haven't seen any legitimate scientific evidence of that.

Our second house had them running behind it - which made for a lot of privacy in the back because the neighbors were farther away. It was kind of nice other than it would have been more picturesque without them there. We sold the house by owner to the first people who looked at it so it didn't seem to be an obstacle to selling at that time.

The reason I ask about this now is that I've been looking at homes for a corporate relocation and have found one I really like - with power lines running through the neighborhood. It's a newer custom built home on a nice private 1+ acre wooded cul de sac lot in an ideal location. Only drawback is the power lines - which run along the garage side and across the cul de sac. I could probably accept them knowing I've lived with them before - but I'm wondering about resale. There's obviously some people willing to live by them but how many? And what do you think the % impact is on the value of the property?

Comments (14)