SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Trendy vs classic

bluekitobsessed
16 years ago

My current kitchen is very obviously tract house circa 1988 -- Southwestern style whitewashed oak cabinets that have not held up well. Thus, I'm really anxious to avoid trends that will date a kitchen. For my new kitchen I'm trying to get a cottage feel without being tied to any particular era -- maple & cream cabinets, apron farmhouse sink, etc. My KD, who of course is well up on trends, has suggested very large floor tiles (18-20 inch) instead of 12 inch ones. Are very large floor tiles a trend or have they been around forever? In the same vein, I'm debating between a bridge faucet and a similarly trimmed widespread (Grohe Bridgeford bridge vs. wideset, Moen Waterhill bridge vs. wideset, etc) -- I love the bridge look but I worry about cleaning and I worry that it'll date faster than the widespread. And what about schoolhouse lights? Stainless steel everything? Of course, I don't care if granite goes "out" in a few years because my blue granite is drop dead gorgeous. Thoughts, anyone?

Comments (4)