SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Designing built-ins for decorative display

ontariomom
12 years ago

Hi all,

We are partway through building an addition, and we plan on having a fireplace with built-ins used partly for display and partly for storage. I have a large collection of about 30 Bing and Grondahl plates that I inherited from my Mom (they are blue and white, various scenes, and 7 1/4" in diameter), as well as about ten Hummel figures. I posted about these plates before, and got some great ideas of where to display them. One idea that I am trying to flesh out now is how to best display some of the plates in built-ins around the fireplace.

Below you will find a starting sketch the designer did of the fireplace with built-ins (as well as a AutoCad design although we have made a few adjustments since). On the adjacent wall you will see a TV and a window seat. The TV will have a swivel arm on it, and having the TV in this spot is the only place to avoid having the many windows in the room reflecting back on the glass front of the TV. The TV will also be able to be stored behind closed doors. I do not want my TV over the fireplace, just in case you were wondering.

Anyway, here are some items we are trying to figure out:

1) Should the storage half of the built-ins be taller (the bottom half) than is shown?

2) How deep should the display half of the built-ins be?

3) Should the mantel height tie into anything on the built-ins?

4) Is it okay to have the window seat taller than the hearth seat?

5) What other design details would you suggest (i.e. moulding, any curved lines, etc.)?

6)Any ideas on finishes for the built-ins? The nearby kitchen that opens to this room will have creamy white cabinets and probably darker wood in the island. The floors will be maple hardwood medium stain. I thought to have the fireplace in some sort of stone.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Carol

Comments (34)