SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

New --) AGA Pro +

allison0704
14 years ago

Has anyone else seen the new range? DH has been talking about replacing our GE Monogram dual fuel with an AGA or other European range. Only problem, this one is 32" and our current/space is 48". I'm not willing to create a mess for something we really do not need, but....

I searched for the AGA thread someone started about actually cooking on them, but cannot locate. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: AGA Pro +

Comments (21)

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Allison, did you mean martha's thread? Couldn't find it here, but she x-posted to Appliances (linked below).

It's a very cool looking range, BTW!

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Aga thread

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, that's it! Thank you. Will search kitchens again.

Must have rolled off, or disappeared, already. A shame that can be a sticky somewhere! Thanks again. Off to read...

• Related Discussions

36 inch ranges

Q

Comments (5)
    I just went through the range decision making, so I'll offer a reply. Your criteria doesn't really help to narrow down among your choices, IMO. Only that a choice of a self-cleaning over will eliminate open burners I think, thus eliminating BS which doesn't offer self-cleaning. But, if you want easy cleaning, that might imply open burners (I'd rather clean a foil lined drip tray and grates than attempt to remove carbonized food from the stainless steel under a sealed burner without getting fine scratches in it). I've never been able to cook on a sealed burner without having the stainless below immediately look dirty, as you describe. What type of stove use do you do - wok or saute or pastas or soups/stews or candies/jams... What type of oven use - baking or roasting meats... What types of foods - meats, no meat or fowl and seafood only, etc. What is more important, looks or functionality (if you have to make a trade-off)? Don't forget about ventilation, if you're going to do any serious or high-heat cooking.
    ...See More

aga pro+ in northern va/dc metro

Q

Comments (2)
    I went out on the site and checked from a DC zip code, and I was surprised to find that none of the dealers of high end brands in the area carried Aga (used to live in the area and bought appliances there). Maybe try calling the nearest dealer (Balto suburbs) and see if they plan on carrying it. That worked for me, although, despite what the website says, it still isn't live at my nearest location.
    ...See More

Help me! I think I'm falling...

Q

Comments (37)
    OMG, I'm laughing so hard over here, chana. We are sister kitchen souls. Not two months ago my husband and I were not only completely decided on a gray/white/cream vintage kitchen with carrera marble island and backsplash and soapstone countertops, but we were at the warehouse choosing our slab. When it happened. We walked by a single lonely piece of the most amazing marble I have ever seen in my life. Rainforest Green in a relatively pale/calm pattern with this incredibly rich brownish-red vein running diagonally through it like its lifeline. We both stopped, gaped, and completely changed our kitchen design. We now have the RFG going in on the island and a new shallow parallel buffet area. Cream cabinets, wood floors, oil-rubbed bronze hardware. We even changed our range from a Blue-gray colored Bluestar to the new AGA Pro+ in Ivory (cream) and the rangehood from built-in undermount to a chimney in ivory so it would pick up the creams in the RFG. Our kitchen person just chuckled and said that when you fall in love with a particular stone, *everything* changes. The entire back and one side of our kitchen is almost all glass - the back looking out over a deck and tons of trees, the side glass opening all the way up to a vintage screened porch. So the RFG just made so much sense to us - it melts the line between inside and outside, mimics the leaves and the wood outside. I can't wait until we are done. In your case, with the stronger patterned RFG (or RFB even!), I think you could still do the Lacanche, as long as you kept cream cabinets to keep it light. I'll be following your progress to see what other decisions you make. Have fun with the re-designing! Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with pic of my RFG island slab
    ...See More

AGA Pro+ serial number? (2010-2015?)

Q

Comments (0)
    This is a long shot, but this community is likely my best option at this point. We moved into a house with this range. I’ve been all over it looking for a sticker or plate with a model/serial number but no luck. If you have this unit, can you please put me out of my misery and tell me where to look? Thank you!
    ...See More
  • marthavila
    14 years ago

Here's the original KF thread

Here is a link that might be useful: What is an Aga? (KF Thread)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Alison,

Is this range made of steel? Or is it cast iron like the traditional Aga?

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why can't I find the thread when I search, Marthavila?

plllog, I didn't see that specified, but just from reading the brochure and Aga website, it's not worth changing out what we have now. I'd rather go with a more European range instead. I haven't had time to look into them since DH mentioned - two or three times - and I need to go read Marthavila's thread, but did I read somewhere that they do not come in a 48" width?

I need to point DH towards the thread and let him read instead, since he is the main cook in our home with the exception of holidays.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Allison, the million dollar question is why do our threads get lost on this site in the first place! Used to be that threads would disappear with age or after reaching a max of 150 posts. (Although, even with those basic rules, there's never been consistency in "thread retirement"; some last for years, others for only weeks, it seems.) At any rate, since the recent spate of site malfunctions, the problems of dropped and lost threads has just gotten worse altogether. Sigh. To really answer your question though, I was able to find the missing KF thread by googling it.

You are right about the Aga Pro+ not being available in the 48" size. It's a 36" machine. BTW, what is meant by wanting a more "European" range? By European, do you mean French or Italian? Aga paternity is British. Doesn't that count as "European" :-)

Pllog, Beyond the fact that the Aga Pro+ bears no resemblance to any of Aga's cast iron cookers and ranges (traditional Aga, Six-Four and Companion), the Aga Pro+ literature makes no claim as to the material of its construction. That makes me think it's made of steel, like the Legacy.

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

I couldn't find a shipping weight, which would be a clue about its construction, but I'd guess it's steel. That's the look, certainly.
    The literature suggests there's no loss of BTUs with propane. That's interesting too, along with the oven, appearance, and price.
    Still, my nearest dealer doesn't think he'll have one until maybe mid April. Meanwhile, I have a good deal on a Capital or an O'Keefe and Merritt in the running, and neither of the deals, especially the O+M, might wait that long.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

marthavila, should have included "looking" as in "more European looking." As this one doesn't look much different than the one we have now. Not worth switching, imo. As you know, my kitchen is English and I would love to have a more fitting range. It is on the list, if we stay here. DH keeps brining up moving, and I love my home but building again (aka do-overs) would be fun. Next kitchen would be completely unfitted and the fridge would be nowhere in sight.

I thought it was steel too, from the pictures, but did not post that thought. ttytt, I have been run ragged this week (heck, the past 4 months!) and barely have time to post, much less proof read before hitting enter.

• mcgowan_2010
    14 years ago

Hey Alison!
    The AGA PRO+ is made of steel and available in 4 designer colours (black, white, ivory and cranberry) as well as Stainless Steel. And has a whole suite of products to match it, like the vent hood, back splash, French door referidgerator, wine cellar, beverage center, refrigerated drawers and dishwasher.

The AGA PRO+ range has 5 gas burners ranging from 5,000BTU to 15,000 BTU. Each with electronic ignition and flame safety device.

Now here is the clever bit. The oven. ItÂs self clean electric with a huge glass window and heats from cold to 375F in under 8 minutes. It's got a host of features like a telescopic gliding rack, but it comes with a divider or 'Energy Saving Panel' (ESP) that is easy to insert or remove (and stores neatly in the drawer below). By inserting this divider the large 4.9cu.ft family oven becomes a smaller 2.4cu.ft everyday oven. By using this divider it can save up to 30% of energy usage.

Optional extras include a griddle and a wok ring.

With the burners, the 5,000BTU burner allows for a gentle simmer. I've melted chocolate on it direct in a pan, it does not burn! The pan grates are made of cast iron and easy to remove and clean. The 15,000BTU burner makes a mean stir fry.

Prices are $4,399.00 for the Range.

• adh673
    14 years ago

Allison, could you tell me why you are replacing your GE monogram? Right now my two top picks for a new 36 inch range are the GE Monogram and the AGA Pro + so I am interested in your experience!

• alice462
    14 years ago

It was fun to come across this thread as we just returned from a trip to the UK. We stayed w/some friends who have a 4 oven cooker and I came home with AGA ENVY! If I had had that expereince before we did our renovation a couple of years ago, I would have worked very hard to find a way to fit this into our kitchen.

It was definitely a different way of cooking, but they live on a farm in the English countryside and this Aga was part of the rhythm of their life. I was intrigued by how central it was to the overall daily living -- not only cooking our food, but it also served as our clothes dryer when we did laundry. Just put the clothes on a rack in front of it at night and in the morning we were good to go. The chilly English mornings were made quite delightful as I sipped my tea and warmed myself by the Aga.

I do know of someone in our area who has one (central VA) and she had to "upgrade" the a/c in her kitchen area b/c the radiant heat from her Aga was too much in the summer months here. This was an install in a 100 yr. old home so don't know if that same concern would occur if it was part of a new build.

Anyway, if I am ever lucky enough to do another kitchen I will be looking very hard at how I could have an Aga in my life -- it was wonderful.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I've seen the Aga Pro+ up close and in action. It is incredibly impressive dual-fuel range, self-cleaning with an amazing number of features. The oven is gigantic and also has a panel that divides it into a smaller oven plus a plate warmer. The oven has 2 fans (like the Wolf).

It's also beautiful and one of the best made and finished ranges I've ever seen. The set ups with the matching hood and range guard in colors are stunning.

36" only. GE Mono is considered a good upper-middle-level range. The Aga Pro+ is more comparable to the highest end Wolf but at a more advantageous price.

I can understand Allison's replacment pangs. I have them all the time and if you see this range you would get a severe case of replacement lust.

Someone may not like it but I don't impress easily and I was really impressed. If I was looking for a 36" dual fuel range this would top my list. Quite unique and a must-see.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

adh673, there is nothing wrong with our GE Monogram, and we both like cooking on/in it. DH likes the look of the AGA and has mentioned changing several times the last few months. He has yet to do any research, other than a bit of reading on GW/Kitchens. It's been very hectic for us since last fall, and there just are not enough hours right now to investigate it thoroughly before spending the money/purchasing. He would really like to see it in person - several times - before making a decision.

• adh673
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Can someone elaborate on what features are compelling- or why its considered high end? I've been working out a spreadsheet on all the 36 inch range options (tedious!) and a feature map of such but I'm not sure what propels this towards the higher end. I really like the self clean oven and split oven concept.

I wondered about the grates- are they set up so you can slide pots across? I was sort of suprised to see it was a 5 burner- with a big middle burner vs. the norm of 6 burners. I thinkI can do 5 burners vs. 6- I occasionaly have all four going now but the stove top is just way too small for my pans so Im hoping a 36 inch will help with that.

Part of the advantage of this range for me mentally is no one has it so there are no negative reviews! Otherwise Ive found that you can find people that absolutely hate every range on the market for one reason or another!

Finally, I see on AGAs website that they have a warming setting on this range- what are the chances that would replace my need for a warming drawer (we all seem to eat at different times due to schedule). Or is an oven warming never as good as a warming drawer due to moisture?

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Adh673, those are a bunch of great questions -- most of which I can't answer as I've never seen the product, much less tried to use it. However, I can tell you that, since my GE microwave terminally malfunctioned, I've been using the heck out of my Aga 6-4's warming oven. And I love it! Although it takes longer to heat my food than a microwave, it does a great job of doing so without drying it out or giving me tinges of radiation fear and then keeps it warm for as long I'd like. As for what makes any Aga a "high end" cooking product (beyond cost), I'm not even going to try and touch the topic! IMO, the better questions are really these: can this appliance do the job I want it/need it to do?; give me the look and features I desire?; and deliver it at a price point that I find to be reasonable? If your answer is "yes" to all of that, then regardless of price, I think you've found an appliance on your own "high end." And, after all, isn't that what really counts?

• adh673
    14 years ago

marthavila, thanks for the feedback! I assume that "high end" somehow correlates to capabilities- otherwise people would be really crazy to pay 10K+ for a range, but I dont know that for sure, becuase from my spreadsheet I'm not seeing a lot of variation between key features of different ranges.

Right now I cook on a 20 year old Hot Point electric 4 burner stove with an attached upper microwave and burners that you have to jam into the element all the time or they dont heat and an oven that both underbakes and burns everything. I think it's safe to say, anything will impress me at this point :-) If I can cook on this, I can probably cook on anything.

But if this allow me to ax my warming drawer that is even more interesting b/c it saves me another 1000 and gives me a new drawer, or possibly a new place for my wine fridge. I am going to go look up at the 6-4 and see how your warming experience might transfer to the pro+.

Thanks!

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I think I can answer many of those questions. "High end" as I used the term refers to features, build quality and price. The Wolf dual fuel 36" range, f.ex. is considered high end because of how it functions on top and how the oven/ovens function. On top, that has to do with a certain level of power and evenness of heat distribution by the burners down to the ability for the range to maintain a setting so low chocolate can melt without any additions and not seize.

Those are some of the criteria, along with what's called "fit and finish" -- how sturdily the range is made and finished.

I've seen the Aga Pro+ perform and even went so far as to take a burner apart (a photo of that is in the Aga thread from Appliances linked above). I don't own the range and haven't used it personally -- just seen an extensive live demo with about 10 things put out within an hours time. Also, because there were 6 ranges displayed, I got to kick tires and talk to the reps. That is all recounted in a link on the other thread.

What impresses me: Range is beautifully made and finished. It comes in ss (so assuming it's steel) and colors are the enamel. Top is the black AGA enamel, continuous grates. Shipping weight is 382.

It's laid out with largest burner in center. I saw a wok used for stirfry and took a close look at the number of jets and configuration of big burner. It gives very even heat and plenty of power. Simmer melted chocolate perfectly.

The oven is 4.9 cu. ft (full sheet pan ready); 2.4 c.f divided. They have a drawer for the equip below. Oven has 2 convection fans -- like Wolf -- two browning elements and a divider that slips in and sections off half that functions as a warmer while the other side works as a full oven. So it does replace a warming drawer. But 1 door, well insulated. Multiple foods can be cooked at the same time -- I saw this done.

It comes with 1 telescoping rack that can be placed anywhere in the full-size oven (moved easily, I saw him do it).
    They say it will preheat in 8 mins (didn't verify that).

There are all the European convection moders and it's self cleaning.

The price is $4399 -- well below Wolf, Lacanche, Viking etc. They have obviously "positioned" this range with features and pricing to compete very specifically in the high end. It is definitely in that category.

I know about this because I have the tech specs and attended the launch. I don't sell these or have any affiliation with them whatsoever. I am interested, though, as an interior designer.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Waving hi to RG and Allison, this is interesting news, all the more so because, looks-wise, the range is not as appealing to me (mere personal opinion) as are some others. I just wanted to throw out there that the appearance fits into a category I call Euro-muscular, as opposed to Euro-lovely (again, just my terminology). If Euro-muscular appeals, there is a range called a Caumartin that Allison's DH might like, too. They aren't as knockyouovertheheadglitzy as La Cornues and Moltenis, but they are locomotive solid and come in a size closer to what you already have, although not exactly the same. Oy, that dimensions thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caumartin

• adh673
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the additional information! It sounds really great, now if only I could see one...the look as I see online seems ok to me. I've got a houseful of boys so rugged fits in.

Also, for other "seekers", here are my spreadsheet of notes on various 36 inch ranges.

{{!gwi}}

• diane_covewoodlodge_com
    12 years ago

Has anyone used the new Aga Pro+ 5 burner range? Have you used the small oven device and is it really user friendly?

• andrae_90_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just began using my AGA Pro+. My previous range was a 30 inch GE range. The 15,000 BTU central burner is just terrific and really keeps the wok hot in stir-frying. This is big advantage over the previous range. I have yet to try out the low-power burner for things like melting chocolate but it appears to have a very low, controlled flame. I also like low flames for cooking rice and this seems like it is promising. Just today I tried the divided oven. The divider in place, I preheated to 425 F. The preheat time was a very disappointing 33 minutes. Once the temperature had been achieved the pizza was finished more quickly than it was in my gas oven. The mode I used was the top and bottom elements without the fan, which cooked quite evenly. I also made a roast chicken in the divided oven. I didn't time the preheat but suspect it was also overlong. For the chicken I used the mode with the top and bottom elements, with the fan, at 375F. The cooking was very even and the bird was nicely browned on all sides The internal temperature of the chicken had reached 180F in 1.5 hr. It was very moist and well-cooked. Another thing I noticed about this range -- and it may be peculiar to electric ranges in general, I'm not sure -- is that when I open the oven door, there is a "blast" of hot gas and cooking smoke that hits me in the face. I never had that with the gas oven. I will probably use the divided oven often but you cannot fit a conventional baking sheet in the "half-oven" space. Make sure your bakeware fits. Also, the oven may be much wider than the 30-inch but it appears to me shallower front-to-back than my older range. I also aim to understand why my preheat is so slow. Do I have an inadequate electrical supply? I have no clue at the moment. Oh, and to answer Diane's question, it is very easy to convert from the full to the divided oven.