SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Heat Lamps Under Upper Cabinet To Make Warming Counter?

John Liu
14 years ago

"He can't be a man / Because he doesn't smoke / The same cigarettes as me"

- ''Satisfaction'', Rolling Stones.

As Mick and the boys sneered, material things don't make us better people.

But hey, that needn't stop us from trying!

My latest material object of desire is the magical warming drawer / plate warmer.

I say ''magical'', because these things are said - even by GW'ers in the recent thread on warming drawers - to do no less than Stop Time Itself.

That last #$!/@?!% guest didn't arrive a half hour late. The #$!/@?!% risotto didn't take 20 minutes longer than the fish. Â All those #$!/@?!% things that blew up your carefully planned schedule, didn't.

(That's interesting - if you stop time, you also stop swearing. Â Good to know.)

Naturally, I want one.

And naturally, I have no room for one.

I will have no room in the cabinets for a warming drawer, no room above the range for heat lamps/warming shelf. Â The toybox will be full. Â No room for new toys.

But I will have about three feet of counter, near the range, which are tasked to be solely staging, landing and holding space for the cook. Â The counter can be steel that withstands heat, or stone that retains heat. Â The backsplash can be tile that doesn't mind getting warm. Â And there will be a generous 21'' between counter and upper cabinet.

So, suppose I suspended some heat lamps from the underside of the upper cabinet? Â With some way to hook them up, out of the way, when needed. Â Would that counter then serve as a warming shelf? Â Maybe with some metal dish covers to help the plated food retain moisture?

I wonder if this would this be worthwhile? Â Or, just a way to dry out food, warp counters and scorch cabinets?

Never having had any sort of food warming device, I don't know what temperature they should maintain, and how feasible that is with a couple of heat lamps.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz