SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Home Decor Auction Items on ebay - Shill Bidding

jan_in_wisconsin
10 years ago

Hi all,
From time to time I purchase a thing or two on ebay. I love to look at antiques, home decor items, and fabric, etc. Often I use the "buy-it-now" option, but if that's not available, and I like the item well enough, I will place a bid.

I did that recently for something I was particularly fond of, and I bid near the very end of the auction. There were two bids on the item by two different parties. I set a max bid price, and I was immediately outbid, by someone's automatic bid, most likely. I understand this happens when people pre-plan their maximum bid, and the ebay system automatically bids just enough to keep the lead (up to their max) above the highest bidder.

I increased my max a couple of times during the last few minutes because I truly wanted the item, but then I quit because the price was getting really high. I had already bid quite a lot more than which similar items had sold.

Almost instantly, as in within three minutes, of the end of the auction, I received by e-mail a second-chance offer for the item; a chance to purchase it at my highest bid because the auction winner was apparently "an international buyer" who did not wish to pay the added shipping cost.

This seemed really suspicious, and I checked my ebay to verify the legitimacy. It was a legitimate second-chance offer.

But then I read about the concept of shill bidding where sellers (or their friends, family, etc.) bid on their items with the intent to artificially inflate the price. So I wondered if this may have occurred with this auction.

I did not purchase the item by the second-chance offering because I wondered if it was a shill situation. I bid more than I would have liked, and if I did so in a shill situation, then I changed my mind.

The seller has not relisted the item . . . yet, anyway. I have thought about e-mailing him and asking if it is available and if I could purchase it at a more reasonable, buy-it-now sort of price when he relists. But, I don't know if that is a good idea, or even, perhaps unethical/against the rules in some way.

By the way, the winning bidder only won a couple of auctions within the past 30 days, and both were from this seller. Bidder information is limited though.

I am not an experienced ebayer, so if any of you have thoughts or experiences, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Comments (41)