SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzienj

Master Bedroom Pics!

suzienj
13 years ago

Long story short, hubby 43 had cancer last year, we thought we were clean but recently tests came back that are indicating the cancer might be back- he will be tested again in a few weeks. We have 2 young children and we moved into a new home last year. My kids bedrooms are amazing, but our master does not feel warm, relaxing.... I wanted to fix it up, but I donâÂÂt want to spend a lot of $$ now b/c IâÂÂm worried .... So any suggestions on quick fixes?

We are planning to hang black rods with ivory textured panels that I got at Pottery Barn.

I know we need new lamps. Suggestions...

Artwork-- Suggestions?

I picked out 2 bedding sets. The blue I find sooooo relaxing. Hard to tell by the pic but the ivory pillows are all different patterns and textures- so pretty in person. Also we have a taupe bedspread that is textured and the blue is textured..all different but work together.

Not sure about the floral (though the floral does work with the blue so I could keep it for the winter...) which bedding do you like more.

What other suggestions do you have??

I could paint the wall cream to lighten it but with the light furniture it might be too light?

I would like a little area rug for the foot of the bed with some sort of bench/ottoman/table?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

A lot of empty walls... and I want to get rid of the big mirror over the dresser with something more updated....

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I know it doesnâÂÂt look like my room- but i do love this

{{!gwi}}

Comments (40)

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your DH; I hope the tests are wrong.

I really love the floral, but what about using the blue as the spread with the floral duvet folded at the end of the bed? It looks like it has blue in it. I'm not so crazy about the blue spread by itself. Maybe if you had some pretty patterned shams with it.
    Dee

• Related Discussions

Master Bedroom Pics please...........

Q

Comments (3)
    bama12, meet houzz--"master bedroom" in the search box. (There are some really weird "in progress" photos there, not a clue why they are on houzz, but just scroll through those) Here is a link that might be useful: [Master Bedrooms Eye candy (& some duds)[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/master-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~a_62-497?fi=16)
    ...See More

Master Bedroom pics

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Indoubt, I posted a few hundred gorgeous bedroom pictures in the Bedrooms thread in the Gallery. To see them, close this thread. Look to the top right of the list of threads and click on the Gallery link. You may also want to view some of the other wonderful threads while you're there, like the other room threads and the color/paint threads.
    ...See More

Before, During & After Master Bedroom Heavy Pics

Q

Comments (24)
    I think anything over 31 inches is too high for the bedroom lamp. I think 29-30 inches is just right, but it could be a little chunkier like the ones in the furniture ad. What you have on the end tables are pretty but they disappear because they are too skinny and you see thru the glass. I love the 30" lamp and like the 32" inch but the 32 might be too tall...not sure. I keep looking back at the sofa....unless there is more space we do not see, I think its just not the right size for the room, regardless of the fabric. If you do not have another place for it, I would see if you can exchange it. I would rather see a triple dresser or armoir on that wall:) with a smaller club style chair and ottoman or chaise in the corner. Someone mentioned turning it around and putting up a flat screen....I dont think its possible, it would be like sitting in the first row of a movie theater...you only have a foot or so of space between it and the bed. The bench is another alternative but not something you are going to hang out on. If you add the matching triple dresser you wouldnt have room for a bench. You are heading in the right direction...the bed set, curtains and wall color look awesome.
    ...See More

Master Bedroom (Pics) Help Needed!

Q

Comments (36)
    I love the color of the walls, and your headboard is lovely. Buy some wide brown print ribbon or some brown and blue print fabric and wrap each of the 3 large euroshams with a strip running vertically around the middle of the pillow. You can sew the strips into a circle and just slip them on the pillows, but be sure they aren't too small and scrunch up the pillow. Or you can pin them closed in the back, or even tie them (no bow, just tails) in the front if you want. This will break up the solid of the light pillow, but still make it stand out in front of the headboard. I also thing your stuffers in those pillows are too small. Go up one size or add more stuffing - they should be almost overstuffed to stand correctly on the bed. In front of those, use the two brown shams. In front of those, the smaller silver blue decorative pillows with the lattice embroidery. That should be enough. The lattice piece above the bed is too light for the walls. I would paint it black to match your curtain rods. Or, as suggested, add a piece of artwork there instead. Your drapery needs to come out further over the edges of the window on both sides, and should sit behind the headboard a little bit. If you need to extend your rods out a bit to get that to happen, it would be worth doing. Think about adding some touches of coral in the room - it would be very pretty.
    ...See More
  • dakota01
    13 years ago

Healing vibes coming your way for your husband.

I have the same bedroom suite. Napa Valley by Bernhardt. Though I don't have nightstands I have the chest, my bed has the canopy and my armouire is the full door style. So funny to see my set elsewhere..

Anyway, On my triple dresser and yes, same mirror - since it's sooooo big, I was afraid to try a different mirror, so I have two tall thin lamps to balance the weight and size of the mirror.

My wall color is a yellow/tan similiar to the furniture but darker. I used torquise and brown for my comforter and drapery. It is a soft spa like feel.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

First off, prayers are being lifted for you hubby! God bless him. I'm sure he's already been through so much so I'll continue to lift up prayers that all is well.

Now for your bedding....I actually like the floral bedding you have now and think the I'd use it with the solids folding one or the other over the foot of the bed. IF the floral is a duvet you could always use it without whatever it's covering for the warmer months.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

I think if you paint the room a pretty blue that would be the most relaxing and the taupe bedding and carpet would blend much better. Lovely room.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

God speed to your husband, prayers for him on this Easter Sunday. Now for the room, that paint color is BM wythe blue and it's beyond gorgeous. If you love it then have it done, I think it would look so much better with your light furniture and would even compliment the rug. Then I'd get larger lamps with a larger base and textured shades like linen or burlap. I think your taupe and blue would work with new wall color. For art I'd pieces that reflect the outdoors aka trees or beautiful scenes of water etc. It's so personal. I like the sound of your drapes. For me the color would be the most important. When you have an emotional reaction to a color you should use it and the rest all falls in place.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Great bones...absolutely work with what you have.
    I updated my 80's bedroom set by removing the big mirror and hanging an antique mirror. It made me feel so much better.
    Try adding 2 botanical prints over your bed, like your inspiration pic. They will tie in your pretty floral bedding.
    Add the blue coverlet folded on the bottom half of your bed.
    Add larger lampshades...Lowe's has a big selection.
    Try a wicker basket or large vase with dried hydrangeas on your armoire and yes, an ottoman at the end of your bed with a cozy throw and a toss pillow or 2.
    Good luck with this and healthy wishes sent to your hubby. Please keep us posted~~

• deborahnj
    13 years ago

Suzie, blessings and prayers for your husband and your family. Also, I immediately recognized the Napa furniture by Bernhardt as I have the dining room furniture. You have lots to work with in such a nice room so I'm sure it will all come together nicely.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Good luck with your husbands health. Ask/believe God for healing!

I think the furniture placement might freshen up the space. I would leave the tall dresser alone and arrange a sitting area in front of windows with a table between them. The bed on the wall(where mirror is now) with the long dresser with the mirror on the opposite wall. It will really accentuate the window space. Try it, I had the same setup in mine and I loved it! A little longer walk to the loo if you sleep on the left of the bed but so pretty.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone- Thank you so much for your prayers- we are so blessed with each day and with our children!

Paint- Vote- Leave as is, Do Cream colored, Blue- i�m afraid if i will be sick of the blue in time which is why I think of cream but then the cream will blend. If i Did the blue walls would the blue coverlet match or contrast? hmmm

Peyton
    Thank you so much!! The problem is the Tall Dresser has the TV in it--- And that is the best wall for the TV - so layout has to stay as is.....

Some more pics- after sleeping with the new bedding- The blue is sooooo comfy and I need the duvet- I can probably return the tan one b/c hubby didn�t find that comfy and it was $175!! But my concern is the blue seems to not be as long on the sides so then you will see the sheet.... does that bother you? I can leave the floral duvet folded over.

I wonder if I should attempt to change the dresser hardware to black? Not sure if i can?? thoughts...

Thank you all!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL- The blue coverlet was on wrong- its as long as the one under it hahaha- So that problem is resolved

Off to home depot- going to look at hardware to see if I can find something that will work....

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I like it this way since everything else is solid in the room the floral at the end of the bed looks very pretty.
    As for the blue, if you have a queen size bed I'd recommend exchanging the blue for a king size. That's what I do for our queen size bed. Seems they are making what they call a "full queen" size lately and they are too small for a queen bed.
    Happy Easter!

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and hope that the prognosis is incorrect. I lost my husband suddenly in 8/07 and was not in a good frame of mind to say the least for a very long time. Your home looks beautiful as is, I think a few tweaks will make a huge difference, however, this should be your taste and style. Your friends can recommend what changes they feel is necessary but they must fit into your lifestyle.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hubby did not get a chance to hang curtains yet. I am going tomorrow to benj. moore to get some paint samples !!! I�ll post more pics as I get them.

No great luck on hardware today. I�ll be looking again tomorrow.

Possibly Blue or Cream Walls

Rod- Black- with Textured Ivory Panels

Possibly Black Frames - 3 large over the bed with botanicals?

Switch Hardware on set to Black

Change out mirror over the dresser....

Something at the end of the bed- I love that black bench in my inspirational pic- I�ll check out homegoods - if anyone sees a similar bench anywhere let me know! Should it be black or dark wood?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I hope the news for your dh gets better asap!

I'd go very dark on the walls since the rest of your stuff is light. It will also help if he needs to rest in the daytime. It would be the reverse of your inspiration pic which has dark furniture and lighter bedding. I'd shoot for cozy since you have tall ceilings. We went with a very dark purple for our ceilings, and a pale gray wall with wallpaper-like stencils on 2 accent walls. If you did not want your walls to go darker, you could do a dark ceiling. With the height you have, you can risk it. Ours is vaulted and the color is dramatic and makes it nice to look at. I think with the blue you like, you may want to go with a dark silver gray color instead of tan. It would be a real change and would work with your blues tones in the bedding.

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

Just a question.
    Since sadly, your DH might be sending a bit more time in that room, particularly if tests are rigorous.

What's his opinion?

BTW, that's a beautiful room.

C.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

First, let me say cancer sucks. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this, and like everyone else here, I will say a prayer for you.
    Your room is beautiful. I think drapery panels will be perfect, along with a new mirror. I really like the wall color. Have you thought about a soft blue for the ceiling?
    And, you have an incredible amount of wall space. I see a large painting over your bed...something peaceful. Maybe a soft landscape that brings the blues of your inspiration pic. into play. And, if you don't find the right color/size hardware, you can always paint the ones you have.
    Looking forward to seeing your room progress!!

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First thank you all for thoughts/ prayers and comments!!

So I got some paint today- and I�m afraid the blue might be too scary for me!!!

The cream is such a pretty cream but I know it will "blend" without the furniture.... would it work if I do dark wood accessories, ie bench....picture frames etc....

See paint samples

Cream:
    {{!gwi}}

Cream vs Blue

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Frames for over bed

{{!gwi}}

One of my cream/cream inspirations--- furniture is a bit darker

{{!gwi}}

Thoughts??

Also what about my master bathroom

Cream or leave??

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

after we nail down paint I�m def. changing the mirror!!!

• Verti
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your hubby - hopefully the next set of tests will come back with a happier result.

I like the idea, as others have posted, about going blue but since you are afraid of getting bored with it perhaps try to find a soft gray/blue that is a bit more neutral. This way even if you change your bedding or furniture down the road you don't have to worry too much about it clashing with the paint.

• User
    13 years ago

Susie, I am so sorry to learn of what you are dealing with and I think that it does make sense to do what you are doing- let everything be as soothing as can be around you.
    Your room is beautiful and I think the color looks nice as it is, but if you are thinking of changing I think the blue would be perfect. I don't think I care for the cream. I also think I would leave the bathroom the color it is. (I may be biased as my Master Bedroom is blue but a deeper/brighter blue and my master bath is tan).
    Good luck with everything... we will all be thinkin of you.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL cream does not look nice at night- blue does.... blue was a little bold during the day - ahhhh - might keep as is-- ??

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I like the color as is! Love the furniture. I would bring in more blue with the artwork.

• Pipdog
    13 years ago

Very pretty room!

However, the cream or blue choices aren't working for me. What about a soft celery color? It would match the flowers in the bedspread, and you could put light blue accents (vases, artwork) around the room. It would also look nice with those bamboo shades. I think of soft green as a healing color and your furniture would pop better than it would with the cream or beige. Some ideas for colors:

Benjamin Moore Dune Grass

BM Hancock Green - would look nice with your beige carpet - here's a similar look:

Celery Sticks (Glidden) - green with some beige/gold undertones (I would do it at 50% strength since it's a little more bold, but I love the tone)

Cool Cucumber (Glidden) - more blue, but very soft with greenish undertones

Sending healing thoughts to your husband!

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much again everyone-

Thinking I will keep trying for a blue or leave as is-- blue reminds me of the beach which I know he loves- so thats healing ...... but it has to be a blue that looks great during the day and night..... for now I will continue searching

Looking forward to getting my curtains hung!!!!

He gets tested again in a few weeks- we have 2 young children....just keep praying :) thank you all!!!

If you see anything that you think would work well in my room send me pics - looking for something for the end of the bed- bench with cushion or something- and might consider getting rid of the large armoire and replacing with a unique piece of furniture and hanging tv.....

• queenofmycastle0221
    13 years ago

My situation is a little different than yours. My husband's health has went dramatically downhill. He had a neck injury and stroke in 2003 then was diagnosed with RA soon after. He has days he is literally stuck in bed.

I thought that since he spent so much time time in the bedroom I would change the wall color from Gold to Blue (his fav color). I painted a sample wall in the master bathroom SW Meditative and a sample wall in the bedroom SW Refuge. His response was less than enthusiastic. He said the Meditative looked like a baby nursery and he wasn't sure that the Refuge might be a little dark. My inspiration pic is similar to yours and I plan to go ahead and paint the whole room Refuge and see how dark it turns out. I personally like the Meditative and how neutral it is with my accessories but hate to proceed with painting the bedroom that color after his less than enthusiastic response.

Therefore my advice is to "Proceed with Caution"!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

My first thought when I saw the very first picture was WOW! What a warm, crisp wonderful inviting space!!!!!

I only had opportunity to very quickly skim through all of the posts.

Don't care for the cream or blue so much at this time, HOWEVER, I am interested to know what colors you sampled for both the blue and cream (I'm sure I missed them listed).

Good luck to you and your DH!

• suzienj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BM Wythe Blue was the blue- I�ll have to look up the cream name later-
    So far I�m leaning towards leaving it as is and just adding in some pictures etc.....

• edeevee
    13 years ago

Hi Susie,

I suck at decorating - that's why I'm here lurking! One thing I'm pretty good at though is being someone who loves someone who had cancer. My advice comes from a different perspective:

First, it's not back until they say it's back. This mantra has gotten me through some pretty scary times.

Second, do you really want to paint right now -- or do you just want to "do something"? When my 21 year old son was undergoing testing to determine the extent of his cancer, we spent a long day in the nearest big city, with breaks in between testing. On the way to pick up some lunch, we drove past a car lot. "Turn!" my son said, and I did. There it sat, the car of his dreams. Being a 21 year old 'the car of his dreams' was a blue Honda hatchback with a souped up engine ;) We walked around the car a few times then he said, "If I wasn't sick, I could buy that car." It tore my heart out. As soon as we got back to our town, I dropped him off and headed for our local credit union. I told the VP there about the car, and why I wanted to buy it. Here's what she asked me: "Do you really want to buy a car or do you just want to 'do something'? Then she told me to come back in a week if I still wanted the car.

A week later, the tests were back, we knew what we were facing and the car was the last thing on any of our minds.

It's not that I think tweaking your bedroom is a bad idea. I think it's a great idea. You need something else to think about besides the great big crushing question mark that's hanging over your heads -- and a pretty room is as good a thing to think about as any.

Instead of major changes right now, maybe it would be best to look for all those wonderful details that can make your already great room even better. Shop for the perfect lamps, the perfect pillows. You love the blue and your DH loves the beach - why not look through your family photos for that one (or two or three) great beach pic(s) that reminds you of easier times. Get it blown up and frame it (them) like the ones in your inspiration pic.

Fingers crossed, prayers lifted, and hooping to see what you do to that room soon.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

To find the right blue, google beachy blue paint and you'll find just what you want.

• fripper
    12 years ago

Your posts have really hit home with me. I, too, have cancer (NHL) that has just shown up again - after finishing a grueling round of chemo in December. Just started another 6-month round yesterday and today with new drugs. Feeling pretty good right now as no side effects have kicked in yet. BUT GUESS WHAT! I'M PAINTING! NEARLY EVERYTHING! Had floors redone, too! (Must admit, the fumes are horrible right now, but it's been raining so hard here in L'ville that can't open windows to air it out). The kids were teasing me that i "might" be fixing this house up for Dad's "next wife" but that's okay, too. We're both having fun and gives us a project to do and a chance to finally clear out some of these unnecessary items we've collected over the years. Too much 'stuff' and 'clutter' can depress you, you know.

A couple things: Where did you buy your gorgeous duvet and blue coverlet? Love them! And though I like your current color, I was leaning toward Wythe Blue until Pipdog posted those lovely greens. IMHO, cream may be too light with your furniture and a contrast might work better for you.

I really wish you and your DH the very best and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. There's so much they can do now, so keep your spirits up and keep us posted. -Fripper-

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

My husband has been through 3 different kinds of cancer in the past 9 years. We are in the midst of a whole-house paint job (ceilings, doors, walls, everything--I don't dare stand still!). The master is done but we haven't installed the 2" blinds, but tomorrow a.m. I'll take pictures. The walls are a very light aqua with white bedspread. It looks lovely and the color is a beach color. We live a block from the beach in the Daytona area.

Good luck! I know you will be fine, but right now, it's got to be tough! Stand strong.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I was thinking about the Wythe Blue some more and looking at your sample pic. It looks like you used a flash which is making the color seem really bright and it's also not dryso it's reflecting even more of the flash looking even brighter.

You're def. not going to get the look of the blue room that you posted since your furniture is all light so here are my thoughts:

1: It's only paint - if you have enough sample paint out the whole wall behind the bed in the Wythe Blue and let it cure for a few days then evaluate.

2: Since your furniture is so much lighter maybe you would want to consider a more greyed hue of blue. I can totally see a relaxing shade of blue in your room and what a wonderful way to treat your DH - something inspired by ocean & beach colors.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

edeevee- OMG ok really you had me crying- I�m not kidding!! Thank you for the words. YOu are probably right- keeping busy helps me and creating a nice environment I think helps him.... Today I hung the Curtains- I will post tomorrow but he loved them--- truly loved them-- that made me feel so good- and I have to say the color popped great off of our current walls. I think with the right art work I can achieve what I�m trying to do. I loved the idea of printing our favorite beach pics. I will be seeking art work, lamps, a bench.... a big mirror to replace our existing.. changing hardware... and that should do it!

Fripper I am so so sorry to hear of your news. My heart and prayers are with you. Coverlet - sale at West Elm. Duvet- Pottery Barn!

Beachlily- Sorry to hear about your hubby- hopefully right now is a peaceful time for your family. Treasure each day.

TTodd- Hubby did not like Wythe- I think i have to agree- was too blue for such a big room....

Thank you all!

• edeevee
    12 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the curtains!

PS to the rest of you who ARE painting - I think that's great too!

• suzienj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Panels hung!

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Bought 2 Large black frames with chains to hang over the bed like this: Next project!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Then I need more suggestions- Need new lamps- Something at the end of the bed-- More stuff on the walls... new mirror... ....

• suzienj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What I was trying to say is that to the left of my current mirror I would imitate the inspiration pic and put 1 25x25 photo with 2 smaller photo frames.

Then swap out my mirror for what kind of mirror? What would look good next to the black frames (and would look good over my dresser?)

{{!gwi}}

• suzienj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So in looking at our room and the space above the bed I think that large frame might be too big for our space. FYI the frame is 25x25.

So I�m thinking I need something different over the bed? I wish I knew how to draw on my pics- But Any suggestions are welcome.

I can use this as inspiration and on my wall to the right of my mirror I can put one of those large frames and get two more. But I don�t like the two small pics overt he bed.
    href="http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/yy57/patsuz1/?action=view&current=bedroominspiration.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

Then I want to change out the mirror over the dresser to something.

Tall full length mirror on this wall with maybe a table? chair?{{!gwi}}

• edeevee
    12 years ago

I like the panels!

I know you said you thought the frames were too big - and remember, I warned you that I suck at decorating - but do you think they would fit above your bed, one on top of the other one, instead of side by side?

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Love the way your bedroom is changing. Are you using black and white photos you took yourself(your family, vacation, beach,...)?