SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livvysmom

Sinking more money in a home in Michigan (pool?)

livvysmom
16 years ago

Here is where we are at. Owned our home in a suburb of Detroit for 20 years. Owe about $100,000 and it is probably worth about $340-350,000. Three years ago we put a big kitchen addition on the house ($70,000) -- it is paid for but due to the real estate market in MI -- we would probably get very little out of it if we sold today.

We have the itch for a pool. Our options are to buy a house with a pool, put in a pool or do nothing and use the neighbors pool.

The "cons" to moving to a house with a pool would be the increased payment, increase in property taxes (we enjoy fairly low taxes because they are "capped", and we would lose most of our kitchen investment.

The "cons" to putting in a pool would be the cost and my biggest one -- sinking more money into this house which we will never get back. A pool pretty much adds no value to a house here.

Also, our house has a large yard but backs up to busy street (25 MPH). Behind the rotting split rail fence (HOA owns it) at the back of the yard is a sidewalk, a short amount of grass and then the road. Right now, the road noise bothers me greatly although we have limited landscaping back there. I just wonder if having a pool back there and still hearing traffic is going to annoy me. Also, the sidewalk back there is used by many bikers, joggers, dog-walkers etc... and I worry about kids seeing the pool and deciding to take a dip. We would put in some kind of fence and a row of shrubs or arborvites for privacy.

Our Michigan summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter. My kids are young (5 &7) and I think they would enjoy summers with a pool so much. I am a stay at home mom so it would get much use.

How do you decide?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH