SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

Back of peninsula at entrance to family room

kcorn
10 years ago

We are planning an L-shaped wet bar / beverage center at the end of the kitchen which goes into the family room. The part of the L that will face the family room will have an overhang (planning 15") with (2) stools on the family room side.

Our dilemma is that the family room is a small step down from the kitchen. It's only 5.5" height difference between the family room floor and the kitchen.

So my question is how to handle the back side of the peninsula facing the family room. The options we have discussed thus far include:

1. Put a knee wall between the back of cabinets and the family room - make the knee wall come down to the floor in the family room side and have it blend in with the walls in the family room / paint it the same color.

Pro: I think I would like the look of this from the family room side.

Con: DH isn't keen on having a knee wall of a a different color than the cabinet itself�which leads to option 2...

2. Have the back panel of cabinetry extend down to the family room floor and have finished panels on the side of the peninsula and possibly a leg on each end going into the family room to give more visual interest to the cabinets.

I have seen some examples of this on Houzz - but I can't decide if I like option 1 or 2 better or if there is another option we aren't considering.

Here are a few examples of step down situations where the cabinets continue on the other side.

Traditional Kitchen by Alexandria General Contractors Harry Braswell Inc.

Contemporary Spaces by Falls Church Kitchen & Bath Designers Cameo Kitchens, Inc.

And here is an example where there is a knee wall separating the cabinets from the other room, but painted to match the other room. (our peninsula will be all one level, but this is the best example I could find).

Traditional Kitchen by Mukilteo Kitchen & Bath Designers Dawn Ryan, AKBD/Ryan Interior Design

Comments (9)