SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waitingtoswim

Phx-need advice/referrl 3m plaster/wetedge/pebble (swimming07?

waitingtoswim
16 years ago

Man I wish I found this forum a few months back!!! we are doing it ourselves! this has been so helpful/educational, thanks to everyone.

we are debating over what to use for the pool and we are at the stage to plaster (or something) the pool (we were originally thinking about 3m?) we want a medium blue color water, not too dark that the pool will be way too hot in this az heat, but not the color of the older pools i grew up in. also dont want the sore feet after spending an afternoon playing in a pebble tec pool! our friend has pebble sheen and it still feels a little rough.

I am really hoping SWIMMING07 is still around as I like the color of some of your pool pics, and we have most recently looked into that wet edge company that has the primera stone because of your forum comments and their slogan "looks like pebble, feels like plaster", but we have no referrals. The last thing i read you posted was they were going to come out and check on it because you werent happy with the feel of it, you thought it was still too rough, so I wondered if they did come out and how that turned out.

Anyone out there with a referral for someone in the phoenix valley who can give us a pool that is med dark blue, without the rough feel of pebble and is available in the very near future and is priced competively? have you used them? anyone willing to show me pics? I hoped the wet edge company had a showroom, but I guess they dont.

The one pool guy on this site, is it tyler, cant remember, he works at an AZ luxury pool builder, man I love the pics of the pools you have done, but luxury is out of my price range for a do it yourselfer. but compliments on your work, as a realtor I would refer you to someone in the market for a nice pool!

sorry this is long, hope someone can help! thanks in advance..

Comments (13)

• houseful
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure Swimmingin07 used Sun Sparkle. I would love to see pictures of you pool if you've got them :)

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

Tyler's pools are BEAUTIFUL aren't they?

I think the CO I looked at using for Wet Edge was Island Pools. A friend of DH's family is a salesman for them. I ended up not chosing them, but they do do Wet Edge. They are out of Scottsdale.

I went with Stonescapes-mini, from Aqua Pools. Can't say I would rec them for a job though. Other Phx CO's I contacted were Dolphin, a friend in Anthem used them, Prado & Sons & CDC Plastering.

Good luck with your pool!

• mommyniki
    16 years ago

We did o/b last year. We used Swimming Pool Service and Repair. It was recommended by our consultant. We got bids from Prado and Sons and someone else. SPS&R did all kinds of finishes. We went with Ultra Poz because we wanted a traditional looking pool but with more durability than standard plaster. We were happy with them and they had a good price. Prado & Sons was quite a bit more.

• waitingtoswim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you thank you for the info! now I have more questions though!! :)

Houseful: pics once the pool is done, or now at the concrete stage? Do you know swimming07? I was hoping she could update me about her wet edge experience.

fauxnecian(love your user name by the way!:)) Why did you not use wet edge after having a referral, was there something that turned you off to them? is stonescapes mini rough on the ol' feet? why not recommend? warranty?

mommyniki- what is ultrapoz? I have not heard of that. wonder if they could give me the blue i want? how long is their warranty?

thanks guys again for the advice, I was getting worried that no one would respond as my subject line was so long and maybe confusing! thanks!

• houseful
    16 years ago

I met her briefly because she met me at her friends house so I could look at the friend's Ultrapoz. (That's what I have too. It's a much stronger that traditional plaster. Then they add the 3M crystals in any blend you want.) She posted pics of her completed pool, but she was pregnant and is now probably busy with the new baby. I'll see if I still have an old email from her and will try to contact her.

• waitingtoswim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks houseful,thanks for checking on that for me too!
    Why did you go with ultrapoz versus pebble tec or similar product? how long is their warranty? are you happy with it? who did you use? what color is your water? do you have a pic of your pool? do i have enough questions or what? Guess that was another one, huh? :)

• waitingtoswim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just wondered if any of ya'll are on the internet tonight as I need to get someone hired to plaster (or something) my pool here asap ...... any one? ....any one? .....Buehler? .....buehler? (yeah I am obviously from the 80's, sorry, corny joke!)

• waitingtoswim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mommyniki,Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions and I know it is late! Your pool looks very nice, thanks for the pictures! Lucky you, tomorrow you will be swimming and I will be looking at my concrete skateboarding park in the back yard, still waiting to swim. Tile guys coming over to tile water line tomorrow though, pretty excited about that!

• houseful
    16 years ago

I sent the email, but so far I haven't heard from her. I did find her cell phone number so I'll give her a call. I would especially like to know if everything went okay with the delivery.

My plaster guy was a friend of a friend and while he was very good, I don't know if he's licensed (dumb, I know!). He added more crystals for me. He does all the pebble type finishes too. They all get the materials from the same place. You just have to tell them what you want. Like Mommyniki, I wanted the traditional looking pool color. My biggest suggestion is not to rush this. In the scheme of things, a few more days won't matter much.

Here are my pics. Ignore the ugly shed; it will be a new cabana...eventually :) We also haven't made a decision on what to finish to put on the deck.

• waitingtoswim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

houseful,
    thanks for the pics and advice! we are thinking about staining or acrylic our deck. I would like it not so hot for the feet in this az sun, but like the look of the staining or acrylic...I think that is hotter than kool dec, though so not sure what to do.

So you really liked your plaster guy, would you recommend him?

• waitingtoswim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found picture posting instructions on the pool gallery site, so will have to get a photobucket account unless there is an easier way? Too late tonight so I will post pics tomorrow. Hoping SWIMMING07 reads this soon... for wet edge advice. I am sure sweet baby is keeping her very busy, mine did!

• rx2man_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Hey there stumbled onto this forum, looking up info on ultrapoz. We are looking at a winter build and after talking with the big companies and seing their prices decided to do an owner build. But then started looking at some of the smaller companies to see how much more it would be to have contractor do it and hopefully less headaches for us. Found Bluewave and ultrapoz. Bluewave is pretty busy and slow on getting us a quote. So not sure how much it will be. Was wondering how much you were able to save and was it worth the trouble. Bluewave told us they operate on a 12% margin. Which seems pretty fair to me, and not worth my trouble. Wanting the standard 75-80 free form play pool, with salt water, ultra poz, pool vac, and a water feature, baja play step, 250 sq ft of deck. Bluewaves upgraded package is 19495, with pebble and no salt water system. So the price should still be around 20k or so. Any of you other owner builders feel free to chime in, can I save alot more doing this myself?? with all the additional work I will have to put into this??