SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Backyard 'Patchwork'

solstice98
15 years ago

OK, maybe this doesn't qualify as quilting, but it is patchwork!

That's a cypress knee (a raised spot on a root) that we had to leave a space for between the pavers.

My property is a strange pointy pie shape and this triangle is the part closest to the big golf course pond. It has great sunset views and we are long-time Key West fans so DH and I have called this spot Mallory Pointe ever since we moved into this house 11 years ago. It's been mulched but we always knew we wanted to pave it. Last weekend it finally happened! We had to work around the surface roots and the knees of the cypress tree in the center, but I'm OK with the wavy results. (It just gives it character, right?) It's not a high traffic area - just a place for a few patio chairs.

We started on Friday and by Saturday night we were watching the sunset there and drinking a little wine. Three neighbors wandered over with their own glasses to join us. Mother Nature cooperated nicely and rewarded our hard work with a beautiful sunset!

These pictures are from Saturday, before we did the edging and filled in all the spaces with sand. In a few weeks, the vines on the trellis will start to fill back in - there's a clematis on the left and a coral honeysuckle on the right that the hummingbirds absolutely love.

We had some rain on Sunday so I even managed to start on a new quilt, too! What a great weekend!

Kate

Just another sunset in paradise...

(Yeah, my knees and back still hurt but it was worth it!)

Comments (9)