SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crampon

Anyone heard of the "Slide and Hide" oven door?

crampon
10 years ago

Here's a great one for all the totally kitchen obsessed out there. My wife and I were just visiting the in-laws. They have a fairly new house (built within the last 10-15 years) with a nice, big kitchen. There's just one fly in the ointment - the island is a bit too close to the wall oven, so you get a little bit squeezed when opening the oven door.

Thinking about that, I realized that oven doors in general are inconvenient at best, if not downright dangerous. You can imagine how easy it would be to fall into the oven and do a Hansel and Gretel...or at least burn yourself.

Continuing that train of thought, I realized that the oven door is the problem. If the oven door opened differently, ovens would be much easier to use.

"Eureka! I'll build a better oven and retire!" I thought gleefully.

Then I realized I should take a look and see if maybe someone else had beat me to the punch. Lo and behold, the Neff company did, with the Slide & Hide oven door.

Video below for reference. If you don't think this is one of the greatest things you've ever seen, then you don't qualify as TKO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJNDaTVEdM

The money shot (if you will) is from about 30 seconds to 40 seconds.

So...off to Google I went. It looks like Neff is owned by Bosch, but as far as I can tell, these ovens are only sold in Australia and the UK. That brings me to my questions for you:

1) Does anyone have any experience with these ovens? Are they as great as they seem from the video?
2) Has anyone ever seen these for sale in the U.S.?
3) Just how painful would it be to import one of these, given that they're likely built for a different electrical standard? Is that even worth thinking about?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022