SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Terra cotta tile, maybe

rosefolly
13 years ago

We are tweaking our kitchen, an updating not a major overhaul, since we did a full remodel ten years ago. The thing we like the least is our porcelain floor in a rose tone, meant to imitate terra cotta we actually wanted. We were talked out of it on the basis of softness, absorbency and constant maitenance. We hate this floor though. It manages to look both too rustic and too modern, and has lots of rough texture to trap dirt.

We have regretted our decision for ten years now. Unfortunately the problems of Mexican terra cotta and Saltillo are real and still exist. I have investigated Italian terra cotta tiles and they seem to be somewhat better. Besides, we fell in love with them in Europe. I went around in all those historic buildings studying the floors everywhere I went. Unfortunately imported Italian tiles are very expensive indeed.

I would be willing to consider a porcelain tile if I could find one that is better than what we have. I would want it to look real enough to satisfy my longing for these beautiful tiles without making me a slave to my floor. And my husband in particular really dislikes a heavily textured, rustic surface, almost as much as I dislike a slick, modern appearance!

Rosefolly

Comments (3)