SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelhuck_gw

Putting a sign in yard 'Selling Soon! Check back in April!'

kelhuck
12 years ago

Hi guys! I just had an idea- one that I thought might be a very good one, but decided I'd better have it reviewed here.

We are going to build a house soon. Hopefully start this fall, maybe next. We want to sell our current house before we start and will live in a rental home during the building process.

We think our house will sell quickly, and these are just a few of our reasons: we live in a very in-demand school district out in a country subdivsion; the local Fortune 500 company is adding 800 professional jobs over the next few months; our house is only 6 years old and clean, with up-to-date decor; and our price would be middle-low of what houses have been selling for in our area.

Because we think it will sell quickly, we don't want to put the house up for sell until the beginning of April. (House on the market-a few weeks for negotiations and showings- vacating 30 days after closing.....should be able to avoid moving in the middle of school.)

The "problem" is that people are always driving around our neighborhood on country/Sunday drives. And my friend, who is actively selling her house, sends callers my way when her house doesn't meet their criteria. I have no idea if they've actually driven by or not.

I feel like we're missing out on a bunch of potential buyers and/or word-of-mouth advertisers.

I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and put a sign in our yard advertising that our house will be for sale in the Spring and to check back then for additional info.

And then, if someone was insistent on checking out our house before we "officially" put it on the market, we could sell it to them with the understanding that they would pay top dollar and we would vacate after school lets out- on OUR terms.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or is it a good idea?

Comments (30)