SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Pantry/utility room layout

alabamanicole
14 years ago

Now that most of my house is in relative order, it's time to start planning what to do with the small room off the kitchen that is my utility/laundry/mudroom/pantry area. I have already taken that idiot door from the kitchen to the utility room off since it collides with the other door. I may want to add something like a barn door here so I can cut off that room for whatever reason.

Here's what I have now:

Hopefully by tomorrow I will have my dryer vent moved over beside the washing machine. This leaves me with a tough corner to fill, but will free up the other wall. Here's what I need to fit in the room:

food storage -- I desperately need pantry storage. I have none to speak of in the kitchen

cat litter box -- needs to be on ground level for a very senior cat. I need to be able to get to this daily for cleaning.

pet food storage, 2 bins -- Ant proof.

cleaning supply storage, laundry supplies -- minimal storage needs in this department

space for a worm bin -- I can make one in almost any shape. I do need to be able to get to it and pull it out from time to time. Needs air flow. Does get quite heavy.

counter space -- I have a lot of counter space in the kitchen, so I really only need space for folding clothes and also I want to move the microwave into the utility room

I would LIKE to have:

A recycle center.

Storage for extra kitty litter

Small appliance storage

Vacuum cleaner storage for a small canister vac

Hamper for dirty kitchen towels, etc.

Here's a blank template, to scale. This needs to be done for fairly cheaply, so moving doors and walls is out of the question, but otherwise I am game to any creative ideas.

Some ideas:

For the corner, put the kitty litter box in there and have a hinged door that looked like a cabinet door in front, with a cat flap in it. That should leave room for some kitty litter storage in that space.

Comments (9)