SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsbarkley

Fiberglass Pool ...getting there.....PICS

lsbarkley
16 years ago

Finally uploaded some pics of my fiberglass pool. From the crane over the house to today. Still have pavers,planters and grass to come. Feel free to ask any questions. Just LOVE our fiberglass pool.

Comments (36)

• tinamccullagh
    16 years ago

lovely pool I must say the white pool gives a very nice color to the water how long did it take? congratulations!

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Install takes one day! The pool is full of water by the end of the day. Next day the electrician comes and you are up and running. We just had to wait two weeks for settlement to occur before we could put in concrete. If you think about a new pool at least try to get in a fiberglass to compare. The water is even more blue from ground level...this is a pic around 11am. Thanks.

• Related Discussions

Permeable Pavers around Fiberglass pool

Q

Comments (0)
    We don't have much pervious ground Left. So instead of concrete around the pool we want to do permeable pavers. The pool company that Has our money already is not being helpful. I’m worried that permeable pavers might not work on a fiberglass. because if water gets in the sides it might rise? Anyone know? thank you
    ...See More

looking for all fiberglass pool owners

Q

Comments (2)
    I have one. Great. Low maintenance and concrete decking with coating. I don't recall the exact name but it's a fine glass/sand coating (sounds counterintuitive) and the finish llooks like a turtle shell or lollipop and has a nice sheen to it so it always looks new. I chose a cream-white color. Never gets hot and looks great.
    ...See More

fiberglass vs gunite? pool.

Q

Comments (0)
    hi. looking for opinions. living in the coast in rhode island. looking for a deep rectangle modern clean look. IF the price was equally. i get they are not. could someone help me understand why to go with one over the other in my area. and if anyone has suggestions for a pool installer they like or do not like pls share. just starting to research. and would like to learn more. thank you.
    ...See More

Fiberglass Pools....Latham Pools vs Thursday or Leisure?

Q

Comments (12)
    Our pool from Leisure developed cracks on the top ledge of the spa. I truly believe it was the installers fault though. Seemed like the ledge slopes downward. Anyway, Leisure sent someone to our house to buff the top layer and redo the colorant there. About 6-12 months later the cracks were back though. And although we had cracks it did not leak. We had the Icon. So our new house we installed a Latham pool. We did not add a spa this time. So no problems with this one.
    ...See More
  • dgmarie
    16 years ago

Wow that really is instant pool! May I ask how much it cost (pool and concrete, etc). I'm curious to compare with concrete or vinyl pools.

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

About 24K which is pool, tile, delivery, install and setup. Pumps, filter, lines, electric, evacation, concrete, rock, dirt removal. This is everything but the permits and then we also added a heat pump and salt water generator. Worth comparing...even better to see in person and try it out with getting in the water..totally different...soft and smooth. We love it! Wish you the best on whatever style you choose.

• kardut
    16 years ago

Nice pool...who is the manufacturer? We're just starting to look into getting a pool, and I think I'm leaning more and more toward fiberglass... Enjoy!

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The company is Water World Pools. They manufacture, deliver and install your pool. Did a great job and true to their word. NO complaints and LOVE our pool. I have put the link to their website below. You can go and visit the plant and see everything they have to offer hands on...really get a feel for things. Best wishes on your decision..we feel we made the right one.

Ls

Here is a link that might be useful: Water World Pools

• harryc
    16 years ago

Really nice pool!! We are having our Trilogy 15x34 installed sometime in July.. if the rain stops! I would like to ask a few questions about your pool..
    First, what size is it and do you have a Main Drain on the bottom (our pool guy tells me I don't need one)? What size and brand of pump and filter do you have. How many returns do you have? Last one..Did you go with 2" 1.5" pipe? Again..really like your pool. Can't wait for ours!!
    Harry

• lorriekay
    16 years ago

Very Nice! Love the idea of fast install. I see they have color interiors too (that's what I would like)
    I wonder if they install out here in Florida?
    Congrats on your pool it is nice!!

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies. To answer a few of the questions....I am sure they deliver to Florida out of their Georgia plant. Our pool is 14 x 32 end to end. We actually have two main drains...one at shallow end and one at deep end but on sidewall not on floor so you dont step on them. We have 3 returns..two typical returns and then 1 more that I wanted low in the deep end to help circulate the heated water so it wasnt all coming in at the top..mixes the water better so water is uniform temp. We used 1 1/2 inch plumbing with Hayward 24" Sand Filter and Hayward 3/4hp super pump. Our pool is approx 9500 gallons.

We went with white and are happy we did. We wanted to leave the coping open side we did not want the cantilever edge. When we sit in the built in seats you can recline and put your head on the edge of the pool..very comfy and it never gets hot. When plugging in cleaner and checking skimmer nice smooth (soft) place to put your knees. The color pools are nice but if we left the coping of the pool on top not sure what we could have done to "decorate" with that blue ring around the pool. Each person has their own tastes I guess. We were even offered color as a free upgrade but in the end decided on white. Hope that covers all the bases. Again Water World was wonderful to deal with...wish I could say the same of my addition 3 yrs ago...that was more like a nightmare!

Ls

Ps...finished pics coming soon!

• harryc
    16 years ago

Thanks for the Info. Drains on the side sound like a good idea! My PB seems dead set against them. Says they are a Leak source and really do not need them anyway (he said). I'm not a pool guy so I just don't know. There seems to be many people who don't have them, so I guess it's OK.
    Also wanted to know how deep your pool is?
    Thanks again,
    Harry
    PS..can't wait to see the new photos!!

• geebeekc
    16 years ago

LSBARKLEY - I have questions about Water World. It seems you are extremely happy with them. I am in Kansas City and the closest location is Texas. I called them today and they gave me the name of an installer who is about 3 hours away from where I live.
    So here is my question: It seems the way they work is that we would excavate and get everything ready, the installer comes out and drops the pool in, hooks up plumbing and then we finish up with an electrician, doing landscaping, etc. Is that how you worked with Water World?
    My husband is pretty good at projects, but this is so new to us that I'm afraid we might not know what we don't know!
    Did you do your own excavation and contracting and they just dropped it in?
    You can email me direct if you want to; I don't mean to take over this thread. gbell@jamesprinting.com
    Thanks,
    Gloria-KC

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay two fold answers here to follow. First harryc...So if i understand correctly that would leave you with only a skimmer as your main feed back to the pump? What would filter the heavier stuff in the water that doesnt float on top for the skimmer? I think you should try to contact "waterbear" with a post on troublefreepool.com...he has a fiberglass pool and works at a pool store and is VERY knowledgeable. Also if either my skimmer or main drain has an issue I at least have another method of water returning to the pool. I understand it can be a source for water to leak but water world cuts and seals the all holes at the plant many days prior to delivery to allow time to cure. Better yet call waterworld and ask them their opinion...ask many people the same question and I think you will find the right answer.

Geebeek...okay..first is the installer from waterworld or just an independant? I would want the person to be directly from water world or whatever company so that way they cant point the finger at someone else. In my case I asked for references for excavation, elec, and concrete. I made many calls for each and ended up with their references since they mainly did fiberglass pools as their main source of income. Dont just get an excavator..you want someone with knowledge of excavation for a pool. Second the electrical is a little more straight forward as well as the decking you choose. I think the install and excavate are crucial. Try even to call the NJ one and tell them you saw them mentioned online in this forum and ask your questions and your concerns...Don is the owner of the NJ branch. Dont be afraid to ask questions. One main reason I purchased from them was because they manufactered, delivered and installed the pool. I could even ask my installer if necessary...he worked at the Texas plant a year or two ago I believe. You can try me at lsbarkley@aol.com if you have more indepth questions and dont want to post here.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will update my pics. Since install on May 9...pool has been crystal clear..no issues at all...very easy to maintain I find with a high quality test kit. Thanks.

Ls

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Harryc....found this article on main drains...interesting if nothing else. One thing I do have is that the main wind direction pushes toward the skimmer so most of my debris does flow toward the skimmer. I guess another thing to consider is..what happens if your skimmer gets full....where else are you pulling water from? Just a thought...again no pool guru here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Main Drains?

• twittke
    16 years ago

Ls,
    Thanks for more very useful info and I will definately let Waterworld know that you have talked them up on this message board. Can you tell me if you have bought a pool cover yet and if so, did you go with something like a LoopLoc Safety Cover?
    Thanks Again, and Im sure i'll ask you a few more questions as they come to me.
    Twittke

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Working on the pool cover as we speak. I am going to get the loop loc type but in the version that blocks out the suns rays to prevent algae. They now make a "sunblock" mesh which still lets small debris and water through but not sunlight so water is clear when opening in the spring. Looks like it will be 700ish but no firm quotes yet..hopefully by next week I will be placing an order. Thanks...tell them Lamar or Lsbarkley says hello.

• looony2nz
    16 years ago

Wow, looks great. We just had our gunite 14x28 done last year, but we never looked into fiberglass. Looks cool. Just wondering, how long do they say a fiberglass pool lasts, do you ever have to do anything to the interior? Just wondering :) (inquiring minds want to know)

thanks, Shari

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The pool has a 50 year structural guarrantee. The finish based on what I have read should be 20 years or more. In my neighborhood there is one that is 20 years old and still is in good condition. I think the colored pools my tend to fade a little at the water line. I have white with tile so dont think I will see much of an effect. Maintaining the pool water properly in any pool I think will help extend its years .vs a poorly maintained pool. Thanks.

LS

• twittke
    16 years ago

LSbarkley,
    I visited waterworld pools a few weeks ago and everybody there was very helpful. I told them about your postings and they seemed very thankful for the kind words. I am waiting for all the headaches with the township to be over and we will be ordering the pool. Im going with the 14x32 so I dont have to get a variance for lot coverage. Im getting 2 extra jets in two of the seats so a total of four extra jets. After having the pool for a few weeks, is there anything that you might have done differently. How is the extra return line in the deep end working for you? When they plumbed the pool in, do they put all the the returns on seperate valves so some can be turned off when vacuuming? Anything else you might add would be appreciated. Thanks

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

twittke,

Anything I might have done diffently? The only thing is maybe gone to the 16x32 but as you see in the pic not a whole lot of extra room. At first I thought should have done bigger but now it is perfect for us. The heat return works great...when the water starts to get too warm I shut it off and make the water come out the top returns to hopefully help cooling effect and also if there are a lot of debris floating on the water..which is usually when I take off the solar cover. I have on the return side the valves for skimmer and main drains. On the return side after the heater and salt generator I have the first valve which is the heater which I can shut off and divert to the next valve which is the other top returns and then the pool cleaner valve (pressure side). So yes they give you the typical types you need. If you want something particular just ask them to do it..they are pretty accomadating we felt. Really nothing I would change...love the slow slope of the pool and how smooth it feels on your feet. Hope that helps. Someone asked about the winter covers. For a custom fit to the freeform its looking like the $1200 range (ouch). Alot more than the standard rectangle but the 14 x 32 is still too big for the pool and area I have so waiting on one more quote and then will be ordering early next week I hope. Thanks.

Ls

• jimcufsem
    16 years ago

Ls what kind of cover are you looking at? I just got a quote from a place called Ameri-brand (online)for a loop lock mesh style cover. They make them precut for a large amount of fiberglass pools. My pool has a waterfall which added more to the cost, but I am around $1200 for mesh, 1500 for solid. My builder looked at the specs, and he said it was the same as he gets for over $2000 grand.

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jimc,

So far quotes are for Loop-loc, yard guard, arctic armor which is made by cantar. Best so far is $1241.00. Will look into the name you mentioned and see what I come up with. Thanks for the info. We went with concrete around the pool after looking at many options and your pool was the picture that we envisioned ours looking like...I even printed yours out and showed it to our mason....so thanks for your help on the decking..lol!

Ls

• jimcufsem
    16 years ago

No problem, glad our pics helped! Let me know who you go with for the cover! Im always looking for the best deal! lol

• lookshaw
    16 years ago

Great pool! Just wondering how the electrical was run? What size of breaker did you need to run all of your pools needs? Did you go with a natural gas heater or electric? I was also wondering about grounding! I guess the electrician would not have to worry about grounding the pool as it is made of fiberglass. Thanks and enjoy your pool

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The electric was run 18' underground to the pool. The subpanel was placed on the backside of the garage along with the pump and filter. Feeding from the main box which was in the middle of the garage was staightforward. We received a 100amp subpanel. As for ground done for light, ladder and handrails. Also had to have the extra grounding which was done by tying in the copper wire to the metal placed down prior to cement. We also chose a heat pump and are happy with the results. Hope that helps. Here is a final pic of everything complete. Thanks for responses and questions.

Ls

• kvocnj
    16 years ago

Pool and landscaping look beautiful. I'm shopping around for a fiberglass pool in Ocean County NJ area and your response regarding Water World has been really helpful. It sounds like you got a lot for your money, and that you are still satisfied that you used them. I'm curious, did they truck the water in for you or did you fill from home? We have well water and I'm a little concerned about that. I may take a ride there tomorrow to speak with them. I'll mention your posts as well.. maybe you'll get some "gratis" from everyone telling them of your referral. :-)

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

KV,

I am also in Ocean County...in Beachwood. If you wanted to see mine just let me know. Yes I am very happy with them and just sent them a DVD of the pool install and then the finished look. We filled from our hose but had orginally planned to use the fire dept and make a donation. If your concerned about the water take a sample now and get it tested at the pool store for metals..that would probably be your biggest concern but you can combat that with a "metal out" product added to the pool when you add your water. I would purchase from them again tomorrow if I needed another pool. Dont hesitate to ask questions to them about any of your concerns and please feel free to ask me also. You can also email me on troublefreepool.com under the same screen name where I also have learned alot about pool maintenance and care. My pool looks just like their sample pool..even the tile. Best wishes.

Ls "Lamar"

• kvocnj
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information, and although I tried getting on to troublefreepool.com to email you my log in isn't working for some reason.( They didnt send me the email like it said it would to activate) Did Waterworld include everything in your cost? On their site I noticed no metion of electrician, concrete decking, etc..included. Then it mentions you pay freight and delivery , and I live in northern Ocean county so I don't know how that would work out in cost. I learned of a non-chlorine or salt system called EcoSmarte and I wondered if you'd heard of that? I apologize for the endless questions, but unfortunately I'm sure I'll have more. Thanks! kv 'karen'

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoSmarte

• geminijenn
    16 years ago

kvocnj
    We not only heard of it...we have it. It has worked well for us and we've had so many compliments from people about the feel and "non clorine" smell. We also have a fiberglass pool and other than vacuuming (still researching a pressure side cleaner) we are very low maintenance. take care, Jenn

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kv,

I have the autopilot swg so not sure on Ecosmarte. I agree though that the swg makes it much easier to maintain a constant level of chlorine in the pool. I am also in Ocean County..Beachwood and delivery wasnt an issue. The pool prices is for the pool, equipment, delivery and install. So yes you have to sub out the rest. We asked them for recommendations and in the end used all of their people. The electrician was straightforward and the work was clean and done in one day (Gibson Elec). The concrete was Custom Design (Charlie) and he was also very easy to deal with. The best was the excavoter J.L.R.'s. Jose is the owner and he was absolutely amazing. I think he was the most critical part of the pool install. He has done hundreds of their pools. All of their prices were at or under other quotes I got. They all showed up on time and didnt charge me a penny more than what I was quoted. The reason we used all of them was to put more of the responsiblity on Waterworld to "help" as needed since these were their recommended people. I would use them ALL again tomorrow. I hope that info helps.

Ls

• Boby Huffard
    16 years ago

Ls: I have enjoyed following your pool story. While there certainly is beauty in most of the natural lagoon pools with rocks and stone, there is such a clean fresh look to a pool like yours. I love it and find it relaxing and very "swimmable."

So now you have pool and beach. How far are you from the river? Beachwood was always a favorite town of ours. The grandchildren loved that playground! We used to have a summer place in Ocean Gate.

Thanks for sharing your pretty pool.
    Boby

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boby,

Thanks for you comments on the pool...we have more of a contemporary taste in our home...clean look. We are not on the "water side" of Beachwood. On the other side of Rt. 9 kinda right in the middle of that area. Not too much has change in the recent years except all the houses built on every conceivable building lot. Housing prices have almost tripled in the last 10 years. We love the location to the river, beach and the school system. For us its wonderful. So great to have wonderful memories of the shore. Coming back soon? lol. Beaches are empty now!

Ls

• Boby Huffard
    16 years ago

We sold our place in 2003. Prices were starting to go crazy when we sold, which was good for us! What did they do with all the old Admiral Farragut buildings? They were starting to come down when we left, and I think condos were the plan? We did enjoy going down in the winter -- it was a nice get away. Before Ocean Gate we had a place in Deauville Beach, ever heard of it? Just below Mantoloking. We love and miss the shore.

Boby

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The building were torn down and property split in half. One half 18 new homes and other half a new park...Vista Park. Havent been there myself in a long time. No never heard of Deauville Beach..but most of the shore is great.

Ls

• fayemarie
    16 years ago

I have the exact same pool in my new home . Pool went in first and built house around it . Waterworld was very good to deal with - I am in Illinois and they sent the pool with a crew from NJ .

• lsbarkley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow...that is great....any pics for us to see? Thanks.

Ls

• fayemarie
    16 years ago

I had some pics from when they were framing but my computer was hit during a lightening storm . I haven't transferred all data to this computer yet . Only about 1/2 way through house construction - so pool isn't up and running yet.
    It was nice to see what my finished product will look like - thanks faye

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting