SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Your favorite applique method, and why?

jenn
17 years ago

Last night I took the beginning applique class. We learned 3 different ways, all using freezer paper. In method #1, we ironed the freezer paper to the wrong side, turned under the edges, basted, sewed down using the blind stitch, cut a slit in the back and removed the paper. In method #2, we also ironed the freezer paper to the wrong side, but used the needle-turn method to sew down without basting, this time leaving a 1" opening through which to remove the paper, then finish sewing. In method #3, we ironed the freezer paper to the RIGHT side of the fabric, turned the fabric edges under at the edge of the paper, sewed, then peeled off the paper. I guess we were a class full of slow learners because we didn't get around to the final method before running into overtime, but I believe I gained enough basic skill and knowledge to begin a new project of my own at home. From this experience, I really believe that a beginners class is the way to go even for visual learners. Having a very experienced, patient teacher show and correct me, in person, is a good way get started. I also enjoyed meeting the other ladies and the commeraderie of the evening.

I bought a project at the Road to California show in January. It's a small wallhanging that includes 9 blocks with an applique on each block. On each applique is also some embroidery (something else to learn!!!). By the time I am done with this project, I will have some new skills. Anyway, the instructions, say "applique using your favorite method".

So, what's your favorite method, and why?

(I am still undecided, hehe)

Jen

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida