SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alaskadiver_gw

permanent or removable fence?

15 years ago

My wife and I have been going around in circles on our options for safety fencing for the existing pool at the house we are buying. It is currently sitting in the middle of the back yard with no fencing at all (other than the fact that the entire back yard is fenced with 6' privacy fence). The problem, of course, is that we have young children ages 2, 5, and 9 and need to keep them out of the pool when not supervised.

We've investigated nets and have two issues. First, there doesn't appear to be a local installer for a pool net and I'm reluctant to try the DIY option as the pool contains a waterfall and is irregular shaped. Second, I'm not sure I'm going to be vigilant enough to make sure the pool is always covered and uncovered every time the kids want to swim.

We've investigated removable webbing fencing such as protect-a-child and katchakid and have walked around the neighborhood to look at this type of fencing installed. The main problem is that my wife does not like the look. She thinks it is ugly and cheap looking. And knowing us, I suspect the fence will become primarily permanent, at least during the pool season.

That brings us around to permanently installed aluminum pool fencing. I installed 400' of this stuff as a perimeter fence at our current house and did not find it difficult. Well, I actually installed 5' aluminum perimeter fencing and would be installing 4' pool fencing but it's basically the same thing. I'm estimating that a 4' aluminum pool fence that I install will end up costing about the same price as having a removable fence installed by a contractor. Either way it's going to come out to about $20/ft when all is said and done.

My wife is thinking that permanent fencing is the better option at this point. She just thinks it will look a lot better if we're going to leave it up anyway. We'd leave it up for 5 years or so, then when the kids are older and we don't want the fence we can just cut it down. This is the stuff I'm talking about:

http://www.delgard.com/dg-gallery-aero-sentry.htm

I'm sure there are others who have gone through this decision-making process. Any advice? Pros and cons of various options that we haven't thought of? The link below is a picture of the existing pool in case anyone has better ideas than we've come up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2035804}}

Comments (10)