SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Building new Ipe deck. Clips or no clips? (I'm so confused!)

oakrunfarm
16 years ago

I apologize for starting yet ANOTHER Ipe deck post. I am just totally confused. :(

I have to give the OK within the next 48 hours on the Ipe deck for our new house, and I have done so much research my eyes are crossed, and I still don't know what to do.

The deck contractor is adding a $3,500 upcharge for Ipe and a clip system, and I don't mind that, IF it will work. (I'm assuming the upcharge is for both the additional cost of Ipe as well as the extra labor for the clips.)

Can I get some definitive answers, or at least some informed opinions on whether to go with a clip system or just chance that it would be OK without one?

If you are voting against clips, please let me know why, and what other options are better - shorter boards, regular decking nails, wider spacing between boards, etc?

If you like clips, please suggest worthwhile brand(s), and let me know why you think they are good.

This is for a deck about 12' x 26', on a new build brick home. Deck will be about 10' off the ground, and not enclosed underneath.

Thank you SO much. We are getting close to the end of this build, and I am just about worn out and ready for it to be done. :)

Comments (9)