SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Building/forming a concrete front porch...

mlo1
16 years ago

How to do...

House is a 1 and 1/2 story craftsman style with a front overhanging hip and center protruding entry, all supported by columns. Home is to have a wainscoting of brick from the foundations integrated brick ledge (same elevation as mud sill) up to the window sills. The homes wood floor framing on the mud sill is 2x8's with 3/4" plywood sheating.

I would like to have a full length concrete porch. Poured to the entry doors threshold height and up-to the homes front wall/sheating. It seems there is a couple ways to accomplish this. Either build the brick wainscoting up from the existing brick ledge and then concrete up-to the face of the bricks, or install the bricks after the concrete pour on top of the new concrete porch. In the later, the concrete porch itself would become the new brick ledge. Thus allowing a normal wall flashing and weep hole installation.

My existing grade is 4 inches below the foundation top. Add the thickness of the floor joist and sub-flooring (8") and that would give the proposed concrete porch a thickness of 12 inches.

Can anyone elaborate on the correct/desired method of installing the concrete to the homes front? (pre-brick vs. post brick)

Is a 12" thick concrete porch approx. 16' x 9' to much concrete in one slab for such an install?

Anything I'm not addressing here I should be?

TIA

Comments (3)