SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erictomlin

flat bottom vs. expandable liner

erictomlin
14 years ago

Good morning,

I'm hoping to get a definitive answer to a question about the right type of liner for my 24 foot round above ground pool. I have an older Esther Williams pool that uses a beaded liner. The height from the bead receiver straight down to where the pool wall meets the earth is about 45 inches.

Here's the tricky part. The center of the pool is about 12 inches deeper than the edges. It is a gradual, consistent slope from the edge down to the center.

My question is this...should I use a regular 48 inch liner, and expect it to stretch slightly to accommodate the extra depth? Or should I use an expandable liner?

A local pool store says that 12 inches is within the acceptable limits of expecting a liner to stretch, especially since the depth of the pool is 45 inches (as opposed to 48) and that extra 3 inches will allow extra material for the bottom.

Of course others have said that I should use a liner designed especially for a pool that is 48 inches at the edge and 60 inches in the middle. (the rep for www.intheswim.com said that they exactly such a liner).

I'm concerned that if I use a 48 inch liner and expect it to stretch that it will bee too tight. But I'm also concerned that if I use the liner that is 48 inches at the wall and 60 in the center that I might have too much material and there would be noticeable wrinkles - especially since the height from ground to bead is only about 45 inches, not 48.

Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Happy swimming!!!

Comment (1)