SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elliots11_gw

Life Expectancy of Mangaris (vs ipe)

elliots11
11 years ago

Hi all,

Situation:

I've been reading a lot of postings on here and doing research online for months.

I'm having a deck built where my last one was rotted out (previous owner left sprinklers running at night right on the deck). It's been completely gutted and is just dirt now, no joists, no nothing.

I want ipe, but I don't think I can afford it. My contractor can get Mangaris for much less, and is really into that idea. Looking on the Janka hardness scale Mangaris (Red Balau) comes in at 2100. Ipe is 3680. Redwood is 480 if you're lucky and people use that all the time and it seems to last about 15-25 years, but requires more maintenance.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know the expected lifespan of a mangaris deck? Ipe goes 50-75-100 years or more (I've read). Mangaris being somewhat softer, but still really hard, is what? 50 years max?

2. How much and what kind of maintenence would one expect to need on a mangaris deck? There's lots of info on ipe and others out there (which are set it and forget it), but not so much on Mangaris.

3. Does anyone who has a mangaris deck want to chime in?

4. I've read someone saying that mangaris is an indoor wood and not a deck wood, but it seems common to use it as a deck wood here in LA. It's harder than redwood, which is commonly used, so why wouldn't it be a deck wood?

5. How fire resistant is it? That's important where I live and I can't find any info online about this.

Details:

I live in Los Angeles on a hill. The area where the deck will go is behind my house and in front of the hill, which is held back by a giant concrete retaining wall. I'd say it gets maybe 6 hours of direct sunlight a day, max. That rules out Trex for sure. It doesn't rain a whole lot where I live, except during fall/winter (like today). I should be able to build it with about a foot of clearance over the low layer of dirt and rock below.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)