SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anmei_gw

Need good pool builder at Dallas, TX

anmei
15 years ago

Hello, we are building new house at North Dallas area. We also had landscape architect draw the plan for the pool and hardscape. We contact one pool company at McKinney, TX called Advance Pools. He give a bid just for the pool $55K. The pool area about 672 sq ft, the pool perimeter is 145 lineal ft. Plus all the hardscape, etc can be $100k. We never had pool before and don't know if that is reasonable or not. But sounds like too high for us. Anyone can recommend us some good pool builder in the area with reasonable price? Thanks. so much.

Comments (26)

• tresw
    15 years ago

You need at least 3 bids from reputable area pool builders. I highly recommend Hobert Pools for one of your bids, they did our pool and they are a class act. We fully checked them out and they have a clean history. They've also been around since the 70's, so they're not going to disappear halfway through your job. Some other people here have had excellent experiences with other DFW- area PBs, I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions too. Good luck!

• rpoldrack
    15 years ago

We looked at Hobert, Foley & Riverbend Sandler. We knew several people that had pools built by Riverbend Sandler and we were most impressed by the pools they had built. Hobert was a little less expensive than Riverbend or Foley (they were both about the same bid). It sounds like you are getting a really big pool so 55k doesn't sound crazy. We are getting a medium size pool (469 sq ft) but added in-floor cleaner, large showroom waterfall, flagstone coping, moss rocks built into the beam and an upgraded Barbados blue plaster. It's amazing how quickly things can add up. I was in sticker shock when I received my first 2 bids but decided it was worth it to double my usable space. I've read some of the horror stories on this website and to me it was worth paying a little more for a reputable builder that puts out high quality work. I've been waiting to build a pool for 9 years so the last thing I wanted was to end up with something that was not going to make me happy.

• Related Discussions

Choosing the right Pool Builder in Dallas, TX

Q

Comments (4)
    I just looked at your web site. 220v to operate wet saws???? What are you talking about. Oh just like I said in the q&a section you say you can build their pool as well.. So what are you selling now???? Consulting or pool building. I can't figure it out. If you want to apply valid information to these people on this site give them free advise. Most of us on here are not spammers just good honest pool companies and service providers and the info we provide comes without a charge. JMO, David
    ...See More

Info on Pool Builders.......Dallas, TX area

Q

Comments (30)
    No, the soil is just the excuse they are trying to use to not fix it. We will be heading to arbitration so it will all get resolved one way or the other. I know that Dallas is a different office and hopefully they are better folks. I just wanted to point out that a national builder with a "great" warranty doesn't always mean things will work out and to be sure that you understand what protection the contract does and doesn't give you.
    ...See More

Dallas pool builders ? . . .

Q

Comments (2)
    We used (are using) Medallion pools out of McKinney. It's a very small company and they don't build a lot each year. We've been pretty pleased so far (find my thread on here). Here's why we chose them: - smaller company (I own a couple small businesses and like to support the little guy) - guy that sold it is the guy that's out there every day - they do the watering of the shell for you - they do the brushing of the plaster for you (which is VERY nice right now since it's cold) - cheaper ($10-15k less than ClearTech) - colored, stamped concrete is in the base package - super responsive to emails, like immediate to 2 hour response time vs. weeks for other builders if at all. Here is a link that might be useful: My build thread on here
    ...See More

Pool builder search sugar land, tx

Q

Comments (2)
    Kenny pools or Abear pools
    ...See More
  • anmei
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rpoldrack: sounds like you get great fun pool. So which PB did you go with? How much cost you with all the upgrade? The estimated $55k is just simple pool without any upgrade at all. So do u like the in floor cleaner? He told me that would cost additional $5k. Is that sounds right? Thanks.

• llcp93
    15 years ago

Give Mike Monahan at Accent Pools a call and see if they build in your neck of the woods.
    Things do add up quickly. We had Mike bid us a master plan, the pool, fire pit, an arbor over our existing grill island, etc. Everything had a breakdown cost, like the cost of the grotto, the pump for it, the 20 feet of moss rock edging, tan ledge, etc. Then, he gave us a sheet with upgrade costs, like a fountain in the tan ledge, different pool surfaces, etc. To have everything we wanted came back at what we thought the pool alone would cost - around 44. That included fire pit, 675 sf diving pool w/valloeyball shallow end (29,100 gallons), 10x10 arbor over grill island, grotto/waterfall w/100w lite & bench, volley ball sleeves, flag coping, 50 ft. flag retaining wall, 20ft moss rock 1 ft wall etc. The decking came back higher for pavestone rather than exposed aggregate so we elinated the fire pit and are still just under 44K for everything.
    Good luck

• susantiger
    15 years ago

Hi Anmei! After much looking (over two years),we found Mark at Summerhill Pools. They are in Dallas. They are on time, and well within bids. I looked at many national companies as well as some smaller ones, and something was always just not right. Payment plans were ill-constructed, referrals not up to expectation, etc. Summerhill is spot-on and top-notch in quality. I wouldn't use anyone else ever again. Susan :)

• diggerboyjunior
    15 years ago

I would suggest looking at Tahitian and Southern Wind, I had a hard time choosing but went with Southernwind. Both are very reputable, have been around since the 80s. And have a long list of customer referrals. Warranty the pool for as long as you own. Also the owner is on top of the entire job with both of these companies, unlike many other builders.

• lovingstuff
    15 years ago

I agree with zookeeper93. We looked at Accent pools, but found one for less (west of FW). We were very impressed with Mike and they have a GREAT reputation. My husband is still giving me a hard time. He really liked Mike's approach. I liked my guy because he worked with me on the design and took more of an artist's approach.

• anmei
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, everyone, Thanks so much for the input. I called Accent pools, but they don't build in Dallas, only Arlington and FW. Right now, I am waiting for the bid from Robertson Pools and Playmore Pools. Has anyone use them before? I also wait to meet the salesman from Summerhill pool this Friday. I just love this website which give each other such good information and support!

• corrob
    15 years ago

We built a pool in Frisco about 15 months ago. Given the size of your pool and depending on the extras, I think you are in the ball park. Like diggerboyjunior we took bids from Tahitian, Southernwind but also Riverbend and Robertson. We eliminated Riverbend and Tahitian and I began to negotiate with Robertson and Southernwind. They utlimately were pretty close to one another and so we went with Southernwind. We liked that the owner was accessible and involved (we still call him if needed to take care of a few nits and nats and he responds quickly), his price was competitive and probably the key selling point was that he uses travertine pavers on alot of his pools and that was the decking we wanted. Good luck.

• susantiger
    15 years ago

Hi Anmei! Any luck with the PB hunt?

• anmei
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Up to today, we had bids from: Advanced Pools (most expensive for very basic pool, so I don't think we will go with them), playmore pool (their bid is reasonable except the in-floor cleaning system cost $7800 vs other company's quote as $3500 and $5000 for the same brand paramount, so I don't know why); 3rd one is Summerhill pools, their bid is OK, but they told me the in-floor cleaning system is useless, is it?; 4th bid is the best from Robertson Pools, we really like the salesman. Has anyone use them before? How is the quality and process? 5th bid will be from Southernmill, and I will get their bid at this Tuesday. I will keep you updated. Thanks so much. Meanwhile, if anyone use Robertson Pools, please let me know your experience with them. Thanks.

• Jean_dodard_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I would contact Pool by Owner, I have done extensive research, and I ended up going with them. I am saving about 60% on the cost of the pool, decking etc.. Send me an e-mail jean.dodard@gmail.com, and we can discuss the particulars. I can also send you pictures of the pool being built. My pool is not complete yet, but should be done in the next few weeks. the name of the company is "Pool by Owner" The owners name is Chad Chambers. The sales person I dealt with is Wendy Corry (Very sharp), and her cell # is (817) 734-7448.

I am very very particular, and this company has delivered to date everything, as promised. Right now I am the one holding up my pool because I did not settle on which mosaic tile I want to use. My pool would be about 80% complete and they started digging two weeks ago. If it were not for the holidays and me picking my tile my pool would be complete this week.

• randygr
    15 years ago

Anmei---Currently doing a re-model with Robertson pools and it has been a complete nightmare! If you would like more info. e-mail me

• tiascott
    15 years ago

We are looking to build a pool and have met with a few PB's. We would appreciate any feedback on the following Pool companies: (Integrity, reliable, all around impression of) Venture (Frisco), Foley (Frisco), Southernwind (Dallas), and Summerhill (waiting on their reply). I have 3 designs out of the 4 pretty much all the same. We have limited space, b/c of easement, drainage...all that fun stuff. We are interested in personal pool builing experience with the referenced companies to hopefully help in our decision making. Tough decision, but we want a good builder. Thank you very much in advance for your help and input.

• susantiger
    15 years ago

Tiascott, love Summerhill! Mark and David do a wonderful job! They are a tight group and boy are they on their game! Upfront and forthcoming, easy to talk to, no hard-sell. I searched for 2 years before I decided. They just finished ours, if you want to see it! I am in Richardson.

• rubester
    15 years ago

Hi there, if your still looking I have your guy! Mike at First Class Pools in Richardson. First Class Operation all the way.

the website is
    www.firstclasspools.com

• loves2read
    15 years ago

we live in Hurst--west of Dallas just off 183/Airport Freeway. Many of the newer homes, more expensive homes, in Colleyville and Southlake use Claffey to build pools as part of new home construction. We know someone who had Claffey put in their pool that way. We have 5 yr old home that we bought in October--so building a pool would be an addition. We have other friends who used Hart out of North Richland Hills.
    Would be interested to hear +/- about Claffey or other Tarrant county pool builders...there are some georgeous pools on web sites but many of them are too large/glam for us...feel that Claffey is probably very financially secure despite the downturn although we have just started investigating the pool process...

know that we have to get several bids but would like to start with companies that have good history for quality construction and dealing with public...

• hv4xpy4
    15 years ago

we recently signed a contract w Claffey (haven't started actual build yet). they were about 4-5k higher than the other 2 bids we got, but i've had two friends use them and they had positive experiences. this is our 1st pool build so i felt better about going with someone with their reputation even if it cost a little more.

so far i would summarize the pros as: knowledgeable salesperson, willing to stay in a budget range, willing to itemize estimate to help with trade-offs (not just a single 'bottom line price' where you can never figure out what costs what)
    the only real con is that their price was higher. but with the stories i hear about less reputable PBs adding on unexpected charges during the build or failing to live up to warranty claims etc, I'll have to see what the ultimate "total cost of ownership" is to find out if it is really more expensive or not

we'll see how it goes...

• andrew9461
    15 years ago

We interviewed Riverbend Sandler, Tahitian and Pool Environments. We went with Riverbend Sandler. I got Claffey's name late in the process. They looked great, but I was tired to talking to pool builders when we got their name.

Best of luck!

• loves2read
    15 years ago

thanks for the info on Claffey--I read a post on this board that Riverbend-Sandler were having problems with lawsuit that had compromised their business--looked at their web site and no mention of anything like that...
    any other people in DFW/Tarrant county area around Southlake/Grapevine/Hurst with other pool builders you have had good luck with...
    this economy has been hurt more in high-end, new home construction from what my realtor was saying--the 800K+ boys where often a pool is part of the spec-build process...
    think some pool people have seen drop in their business because people can't refinance to get money for pool...
    don't want to have problem with someone who does not pay his subs--which is why Claffey is probably #1 to consider...more expensive but has quality rep and still working...

• andrew9461
    15 years ago

We've been very pleased with Riverbend Sandler. They are very organized and have good labor. Their business is definitely off, but they appear to have laid of a lot of people and kept the really good ones. I've been amazed at the craftsmen - they're all very good and very quick.

Our pool is ahead of schedule now. They dug on March 23 and we're almost ready for plaster.

• alamrcnguy_aol_com
    12 years ago

I would not recommend Riverbend Sandler as they seem to have operations issues with the managment. They are horrible about follow up and getting things done timely, when you do ask to speak to an owner it's just as bad. Waited two weeks for them to get me quotes and simply follow up to get my business. Have friends that have used them since and they refer to them as the Sam's Club of Pool Builders...mass production and shoddy work is what they dealt with.

I used Trey Poers Pools, great owner and great pool. I also found Mastercraft and HObert to be in the running when I was looking. Havent heard anything bad about either of them.

• BobTX62
    12 years ago

Hello...today is Feb. 28, 2012. Just saw your post. I've been a Landscape Architect in the DFW area for over 34 yrs.
    I'm very familiar with the swimming pool industry. I guess I'm a little surprised that your Landscape Architect has assisted you in finding a qualified (and reasonably priced) pool builder for your new pool. I would recommend a company called "Fun N Sun Pools"...in Irving, Tx. They have built easily over 50 pools I have designed...great company. Ask for Brent Skillman (owner). My opinion of Sandler Pools in Plano - they are a bit pricey. I would also recommend getting at least (3) if not (5) bids and be
    SURE all of the bids are absolutely "apples to apples"; often times, they are not. Feel free to contact me if I may be of further assistance to you...I'm located in Plano, Texas.

• Mary Jones
    8 years ago

Please let me know if anyone has problems with Foley pools, I am about to sign a contract with them, and not sure?

• PRO
    Artful Pools Design and Consulting
    8 years ago

I have consulted with many pool builders in Dallas area and my favorites are Klapprodt Pools, Pool Environments and BMR Pools. They all manage their business on our software Pool Pro Office.

• dfwbrett
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You should look at Leisure Living Pools. They're a family run business with all sorts of awards. They've done a lot of Dallas celebrities and regular pools like mine too. Tom (father) and Scott (son) have been building pools since the 80s. They don't skimp on materials so you don't pay later.