SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Portico and front porch design - help!

ranchreno
17 years ago

We're having some trouble with our front porch design. Below is an image of the front of our house. The porch is pre-existing, but the portico is new and either the architect or builder goofed because the new pillar, of the stairs aren't moved, will come down inside the staircase.

We've come to live with the fact that we're going to have to resurface the porch and move the stairs and walkway (they look pretty rough now against the new masonry anyway), but we're not sure how to actually design and surface the new porch.

Our builder is suggesting (for cost containment) to extend the staircase across the entire width of the porch rather than tear it down and move it to be centered under the arch. But I just can't picture that working. And it will give us such a wide start to our walkway which only needs to go about 12' or so to the sidewalk.

Also torn on materials to use. The lower porch walls and staircase walls will be at least partially covered by landscaping (someday). But it does seem that it would look nice to have the foundation stone continue for the lower porch wall. But what about porch floor, stairs and walkway? Could we do stone on the porch sides and red brick pavers elsewhere?

If anyone has anything remotely similar to share, it's very much appreciated. Or if there is a professional porch/paver/patio designer that could help answer some basic questions for me I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Comment (1)