SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalhome_gw

Pebble Tec Color Choice

socalhome
16 years ago

We are a week away from finishing our pool and have just decided to go from plaster to a Pebble Tec finish (my husband just can't stand the mottling we see in the plaster around here). My pool contractor does a lot of Caribbean Blue and Tahoe Blue. I hope to go look at some pools in each color this week, but can someone help with the difference in these two colors. Is one of them darker than the other? More green? More aqua? (I'm looking for the blue like the sky blue of a Total cereal box rather than the teal blue of a Skippy jar - okay, now you know what's in my pantry.) There are pictures on-line but it is very hard to tell with the camera/computer screen variances. I am also considering Tropical Breeze but, as I want the mini-pebble, am not sure I want to put out that much more money. And Pebble Tec won't guarantee the long-term performance of the shells in the surface (at least according to their website). Any help?

Comments (19)

• vanvmom
    16 years ago

If you go to the gallery, my pool has Tahoe Blue pebble tec. It isn't really skippy, but it's not total either. My belief was that Tahoe is darker than Caribbean. Our friends have Caribbean, and their pool looks more gray in color than ours.

• scrapula
    16 years ago

I looked at lots of pools. I went with Tropical Breeze, but if you don't want teal then don't go for it. The Tahoe Blue pools I looked at (3 of them) all seemed a dingy grayish green color and not blue at all. They were at model homes so maybe the chemicals weren't balanced. I also looked at some Carribbean Blue pools. They were a nice, pale blue color. Have you thought about Sky Blue?

• Related Discussions

PebbleSheen (Turtle Bay)/PebbleTec (Midnight Blue)

Q

Comments (4)
    I have seen Turtle Bay in person and it sounds like exactly the color you are looking for! It is deeper than the bright colors and has a lovely emerald green tone to it. I also like the color of the pebbles, which are visible on steps and the shallower waters. I would recommend searching the board for your colors and googling too with images. Lots will come up. Katherine
    ...See More

Gunite vs Pebble Sheen (or Pebble Tec)

Q

Comments (0)
    hello, we are putting in a pool in Los Angeles and are wondering your thoughts on concrete/plaster finish vs Pebble sheen or pebble tec. Our contractor is quoting $4k extra for the pebble sheen... he says to stay away from pebble tec. one factor is that its always cold at night, and we are trying to save money on heating. So either option we would probably need a darker color. Does anyone with Pebble Sheen have an issue with the texture? particularly sitting on it in a hot tub? thanks for any feedback!
    ...See More

Need help with pebble tec color choice

Q

Comments (3)
    I went with Pebble Tec Black Canyon, the pebble tec guy convinced me. It looks like a nice deep teal in the sun and pitch black in the shade. Here are some pics.
    ...See More

Platinum Pools just installed PebbleTec PebbleSheen w/ Imperfections

Q

Comments (1)
    Just came across this while looking at PebbleTec. Ironically we have the same builder as you. Were you able to resolve this? Was it Method who shot it? TIA and sorry for your stress:(
    ...See More
  • gk5040
    16 years ago

My pool is Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec. I was undecided between Tahoe blue pt, blue granite pebble sheen (its similar in sheen) and Tropical breeze pebble tec. (By the way Prism blue is Trop breeze's similar sheen). Caribbean blue pebble tec is lighter and not as blue as Tahoe blue. The pebble are the same but the base cement is darker on Tahoe. I liked Tahoe much better than caribbean blue. To me, Tahoe blue looked bluer and that was what I wanted (without going as dark as midnight blue). I dont think it looks like the peanut butter lid:) Its prettier than that, definately a blue teal, not a green teal, if that makes sense. Tropical breeze was my other favorite water color. Scrapula's pool is Tropical breeze. Tropical breeze is a deeper teal blue than Tahoe. Its very pretty. A funny story was I saw a pool at a model home and posted some questions about this mystery pool color (the realtor didnt know the color) and Scrapula identified it for me. She saw the same pool. In the end, I liked the pebbles of Tahoe, they looked more natural. The Tahoe pebbles matched with all my brown tones. I am happy with my choice...though I do love tropical breeze.

This was taken tonight, finally a picture that really shows the true color. Many pics I take just dont look like the pool when I put them on the computer. Wish I had a Skippy lid to float in the pool, I have Jiff which has a red lid:(

Close up of Tahoe blue pebbles:

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Scrapula's and my last post are minutes apart....didnt see her post until later. I would not describe Tahoe blue as "dingy grayish green"...the water chemistry must have been off on the three pools she looked at. Pebble tec told us that Blue granite pebble sheen was slightly more blue than Tahoe Blue pebble tec, even though they are suppose to be comperable, they are slightly different. They described Tropical breeze as more teal than Tahoe blue. I see some teal in my pool, not green. I am sure water chemistry affects the color as well as your water tile, decking and surrounding trees. Thats why its a good idea to see several pools during different light. When PT came to do the acid wash, the guy told me if I kept the chlorine on the higher side the pool would look even more blue...I havent tried it and never heard anyone post it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• scrapula
    16 years ago

gk5040, your pool is definately blue and a beautiful color. The ones I saw were at David Weekly model homes. They put Tahoe Blue in all of their pools. I doubt they even put chemicals into them.

I put a link to the pool at their model home in my community.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Yikes, that David Weekly pool does not look like Tahoe Blue, are you sure its not caribbean blue. Otherwise someone needs to check those chemicals. I absolutely love Tropical Breeze, but went with Tahoe for several reasons...one the pebbles, two my kids liked it better, three the pebble tec guy said it was his favorite and four...price. It was just slightly cheaper to go with Tahoe over Tropical. (Why did I worry about $500 when the total project just blows my mind???) On the day of shooting, I wanted to change my mind, I COULDN"T they only had Tahoe on the truck. It was a hard decision. My husband is color blind so he couldnt tell the difference between the 2 colors, he let me decide...not having his opinion made it worse. I am a "Tropical Breeze want-a-be", but love my Tahoe.

• socalhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vanvmom, scrapula, gk5040, Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out. Your pools are all beautiful and give me hope that, soon, I'll have a beautiful pool too (they're pouring the surrounding concrete today). I think you've helped me decide to choose between Tahoe Blue and Tropical Breeze. gk5040, isn't it funny, I'm feeling the same way as you. We've sunk so much into this that my husband says to just spend the extra for the Tropical Breeze - and I just don't want to spend the money. (Of course this is partially due to the fact that we've just had to add an extra electric panel - at a cost of $3500+ - to cover the pool equipment electricity pull - well, and my husband's extra Christmas lights and basketball court lights.) Thank you, again, for your help. Neither my husband nor kids really want to be responsible for any decisions so it's been almost all me; it's even nice to just know we've all struggled with the same decision. Thanks. Any more inputs?

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

My Stonescapes mini Caribbean looks a lot like GK's Pebble Tahoe. It's a very pretty color. The water & the stone colors are very similar. Not sure how to describe it other than it's like the exact color of my son's blue eyes. :) It's not a bright clear blue, but pretty tinted color, kind of like a stormy sky?

• vanvmom
    16 years ago

I looked at the model home picture you posted, and am happy to report that my pool never looks that dull. And yes, dingy gray is the same way I would have described that color. As for the higher chlorine level making the color look more blue... I haven't seen it. We've super-chlorinated before kid pool parties, and the color remained the same as normal (pretty blue).

• scrapula
    16 years ago

If I had seen a different Tahoe Blue pool, then it probably would have been on our short list. It was so hard to decide. My husband liked Midnight Blue, but I wanted something closer to the water color in Hawaii. I was leaning towards Emerald Bay. In the end, we chose a color that we had seen in person and both had liked. That's how we ended up with Tropical Breeze.

• skp1020
    16 years ago

We are a few weeks away from our pebbletec finish and as many, it is a difficult decision. We have a lagoon style 20' x 40' with a raised spa and waterfall. We chose a gold tumbled marble coping and deck...it's actually multi colored tan,gold some light brown and we chose a small 5/8" tumbled marble tile that has all the shades of the coping/deck. My wife seems to be leaning toward Black Pearl, as she thinks the contrast would look great... but I am more in favor of either midnight blue or tahoe blue - not a "black hole", as I think that with a lagoon pool the darker colors suit it. Now someone also suggested emerald??? I have seen on this board alot of tahoe blue, but not much of the other darker colors. Has anyone seen many midnight blue, or emerald pools? Decisions...decisions

• socalhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A friend of mine has the Black Pearl. It is very dark, very dramatic. The problem is that it is hard to see any kids deep in the pool and, at night, it is impossible.

• bubbapool
    16 years ago

There's a link below, it's our pool page. Look on the bottom right side for a link to a file with pics of all the 'blues.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool page

• undergrove
    16 years ago

Here are photos of our Black Pearl Pebbletec Pool. Including ones that show how well objects show up even in the deep end. It changes dramatically with the light and background. We love it. Added benefit is about 5 degrees of extra warmth.

Our second choice would have been Midnight Blue

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Black Pearl Pebbletec Pool

• banana_fanna
    16 years ago

Your water color is *beautiful*. When we first started researching Pebble, Tahoe Blue was our first and only choice. Partly because we honeymooned in Tahoe and are sentimental like that. Then we fell in love with a couple other colors. But now....

Honestly rethinking the Tahoe. We're going to have Sandy Beach on the sunshelf and Tahoe actually looks better with that than our other choices.

Great looking pool. Can you tell me what your tile is?

Thanks.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

banana....we did Tahoe blue, its pictured up above. Our tile is Luv tile piriti black. It looks great with Tahoe blue stones and our brown trumbled marble. It looks much better in person...my camera never captures the right color. But its close...

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

When I first saw the David Weekly picture I said Sandy Beach. Looking more closely, it looks like a case of yellow algae. That will definitely give it that look.

That being said, I love the Tahoe Blue pools. One of my favorites has always been Padrefan's pool. I should have paid extra and gone with it.

• aggietexan
    16 years ago

banana_fanna -- We also honeymooned in Lake Tahoe, but it was so long ago that I'm not sure I remember it!

Our pool was a renovation, not a new build. We had a very difficult time picking tile for a couple reasons. We kept the brick coping, so I needed something that would blend with that, and I went with a 3" tile so they wouldn't have to do a lot of cutting. It took me about three weeks to find something I thought we'd be happy with. I can't remember what the tile was called, but it was from Master Tile, and it has varying shades of brown and tan. It blends, looks good with the Tahoe Blue pebble, and doesn't show any dirt, so I guess it ended up OK!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting