SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crabman2

Anchor seal go forward or go back

crabman2
16 years ago

Well the deck looks great. I used Ipe decking and treads and Azek risers and wrapped the salt posts w/ Azek. I have achieved the look I wanted and I am thrilled w/ the whole project except the post caps. I wanted to cap w/ Ipe and I was going to make my own out of 2x10, beveling the edge all-the-way around but instead I saw that Advantage lumber had done the work for me and I had them in 4 days( party deadline and all).

The caps came w/ anchorseal gooped up on all 4 edges of the cap w/ smudges on the top. Here's my question: Do I send them back or Anchorseal the whole cap? I know if I try to finish the cap w/ Woodzotic or Twp, that which has anchorseal won't accept finsih and it will look splotchy. If I finish the rest of the top of the caps (8 of them)w/ AS,I guess they will repell water but will they grey up? drip anchorseal down the column when the sun hits them? If I make my own w/out Anchorseal ,because they are such small pieces of Ipe,will they check and splitw/ the summer sun? I didn't use Anchorseal on the rest of the deck. Any advice from ya'll would be apriciated.I've gotten this far w/out one of my usual mess-ups (a trademark for me). It would be nice to finish strong.

Scott

Comments (4)