SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowley99_gw

What would you use for your 'dream' deck ? and why?

jcrowley99
16 years ago

I found someone to build my new deck - my brother-in-law and a couple of his friends who are working at starting their own business. They starting out repairing decks several years ago and then starting building new decks a few years ago (I did not realize they were building decks or I would have gone right to them). They have been relying on word of mouth for advertising but would like to get more serious in the next year (my BIL will finish his business degree in the spring) and want to use our deck as a showpiece, that is fine with me. So we have a plan, 20 x 30 foot single level deck with a bridge to a screened gazebo, rails with turned spindles, lighting, and gravel underneath to discourage critters. We have a HUGE yard so we wanted a fairly large deck. They are doing a computer simulation of the deck and landscaping so I can see what it could look like. (One of they guys is a trained botanist and they want to incorporate landscaping for the property to show off the deck.)

My husband wanted composite, but after doing a bit of research (I have severe mold allergies) I decided that wood might be the better choice. My BIL agrees, although he has worked with composite he likes working with wood better. So I'm looking at wood now, cedar, redwood, ipe... The cost could be a factor because of the size, and availability could be an issue. There seem to be differing opinions on care for the different woods, some people say ipe never needs sealing, some say it does.

So, what would you build your dream deck out of and why? What are your experiences? Is there something else I should consider? We live in north western IL, so the climate can be extreme.

I don't want you to think I don't trust my BIL, but I always research before starting a project so I can be sure I made the right decision. Now that I have read several books (and researched online), unfortunately I have several differing opinions on the exact same thing. I thought it might be good to get opinions from some others who have actual hands on experience.

Comments (5)