SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lachase_gw

going from solid to semi transparent oil stain

lachase
12 years ago

I painted a small deck a solid oil stain (Thompson's Waterseal, Earthbrown) 3 years ago and the railing still looks fine, and the floor looks pretty good but it has peeled up in a few places. We just added a new larger section adjoining the original deck and I am rethinking stains. I know the dirt really shows up on the dark floor section of the original deck so I was thinking about maybe going with a semi-transparent of the same color tone or maybe even going a little bit lighter, and keeping the railings the original solid stain. Do you think this would look right or should both floor and rails be the same? Would the semi-transparent wear well on the floor of the deck? What do I need to do to prepare the old deck? If I used the same color in semi-transparent, is there a way to just thin down the existing stain to make it match or does it all have to be stripped?

I have read some disparaging remarks about Thompson's stains, but really mine has held up pretty well (zone 5), except for the small flaking up spots on the floor of the deck. It was reasonably priced as well. I'd appreciate any ideas and tips on how to proceed. Thanks!

Comments (2)