SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

arranging furniture into a small TV room

ontariomom
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm back with another idea this time inspired from a comment posted by Fun2Bhere (I hope I am not exceeding my quota of GW help LOL). I have strugged with how to place both a fireplace and TV and display into my great room. Now, I am wondering if we should create an away room for the TV and place it in a different room entirely. The possible room is a 9'11" X 16' 10" playroom (dimensions include an adjoining hall). We had planned to use this room as a playroom, but we can always move the toys into the great room instead. This way we would have a fireplace with display in the great room and the TV in this away room.

Here what I would dearly appreciate input on:

a)How best to arrange furniture in this room so it does not feel squished (including TV location). Choice of furniture is open as we would need to purchase new furniture for this room. We don't need seating for more than three, as we have a second TV in the basement that the older boys will use most of the time. If all four of my kids wanted to watch the same movie together they could easily go down to basement.

b)The wall between this away room (labelled playroom) and foyer was going to be switched to a railing to open up the small foyer a bit. Currently, from the living room this wall is a half height wall with a framed cut-out over the half wall if that makes sense. The foyer is a half floor below this living room as the house is a split foyer. Should we still do the railing?

c)Should I be considering putting french doors from the kitchen to this room to block off sound. In this case, I would also need to put a door from hallway into the room, and figure out how to close in the cut-out. Or is it best left as all open space. Currently, the house which is partly renovated at this point, will have kitchen, dining room, and great room all open to each other. Do I want the away room open as well?

d)BTW, the large window in this room, has a bit of a shallow window seat in it. The seat is only 13" in depth and the seat is a bit higher than the typical window seat, but a feature in the room that may be worth playing up, or at least not blocking entirely.

Thank you in advance for your ideas and continued help as I get through this addition build. GW is the best forum ever!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida