SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmann_gw

A minor car accident can cost you $$$ years later.

mcmann
14 years ago

Three years ago I was rear ended while stopped at a toll booth. The toll taker called the Bridge Police and he wrote up the other fellow for the accident. The damage was minor, under $1000 and the other driver paid for my repairs.

Well it's now 3 years later and I go to trade in my car. Because of the accident it now has a 'dirty Carfax'report and the dealers are low balling me with a trade in value. I even showed them the repair invoice so they could see how minor the damage was and 2 of the 3 dealers told me they couldn't even tell there had been any repair - and they put it on a lift to look underneath.

I finally found one new car dealer who offered me a really good price because he was going to buy the car for his family. I just happened to walk in at the right time. And he's getting a good deal too - a luxury SUV - 3 years old and only 21,000 miles. The car's been garaged and babied and it shows.

I thought I'd pass this along to alert you. I doubt there's anything I could have done differently but it really irks me that the other driver's mistake (he was on his cell phone) almost cost me another $4000 three years after the fact.

Comments (8)