SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alysenlynn

Planning a New Pool...fiberglass vs gunite to start

alysenlynn
14 years ago

Hey everyone,

After two year of living in what we think will be our home for many years we are planning to install an in ground pool in our back yard. Our home is on a double lot with 2 acres so we have plenty of room and no real site prep as the lot is level. We will worry about landscaping ourselves.

At first we were only looking at fiberglass and quickly discovered that there are not many builders in our area and a few that do install brands I'm not as comfortable with installing. We have been in a lot of fiberglass on our vacations to the VA shore and love the feel and lower maintenance. However in my research I have some concerns about the gel coating we are looking at for that darker color. Any thoughts on that? Also anyone in the upstate of SC have an installed fiberglass pool?

So we have opened ourselves up to the idea of a gunite pool. I have not gotten a quote yet and we are looking at 40' x 20' rectangle with some deep water benches, in an floor cleaning system and perhaps a water feature. Really basic. We'll see what the cost is compared to fiberglass.

Does anyone have any opinions about gunite vs fiberglass?

Comments (4)