SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitpat_gw

question about fencing

pitpat
9 years ago

Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't find one here or in the garden section that seemed appropriate. I hope someone here can give me some guidance.

I am preparing to replace a wood fence around my small suburban Chicago property. We're looking at a basic solid flat top, as that is what we have now (old and falling down). My next-door-neighbor (who is a bit anxious about this) told me to be sure to use a fence company that bring in pre-cut wood instead of a company that cuts the wood on-site. She said she went with the latter for her opposite side fence and that that is why her boards aren't even. I am wondering if there is any merit to this or if this is just a case of a layperson mistakenly attributing a poor result to the wrong reason. I mean, the wood has to be cut somewhere, so why would it be more even if it's pre-cut? Is pre-cut wood always precision-cut? If it's cut on-site, couldn't they still do a good job? Is this more an issue of "make sure you go with someone reliable" instead of "make sure you follow this cutting rule?" The 2 places I picked off of Angie's List have great reviews, and they both cut the wood on-site. We are going to get a bid from one more company, but I don't really want this "rule" to be the main determining factor in our decision if it's not a hard-and-fast rule.
TIA!
And if there is a more appropriate forum in which I should post this, please let me know.

Comments (8)