SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangsh_gw

Robert Michael Sofa/Furniture ??

mustangsh
16 years ago

I'm curious if anyone happens to have any information about Robert Michael LTD - Rocky Mountain I sofas? They are a blend of feather and down in the seating. Anyway, I just saw this at my local store and it has to be the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in. I'm looking to see if anyone has had one of these for a year or two. I don't know that much about sofa design; but I'm concerned how the down will stand the test of time. The sales person of course said they have had no issues.

Thanks for any help you may be able to lend!

Link on unrelated site: http://hendersonfurniture.net/id36.htm

Comments (38)

• choclot
    16 years ago

How ironic; I was just searching for info on Robert Michael's sectionals. I saw one on Rate My Space and have been in love ever since. I see info online, but never pricing. Would you care to share the price you were quoted? Also, this is the couch, I'm in the love with:.....

You didn't happen to see it did you. :-)

Also, I'm linking the RateMySpace page with the owner that posted the picture of the sectional. If you leave a comment on her page, she may respond with info on how it's held up, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robert Michael Link

• mustangsh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. I live in the Dallas area and saw the sofa at Weirs and Stacys. Initially, I wanted a leather sectional made by another company (and 2x the cost). However, after sitting on this sofa...I'm ruined - nothing else compares. It has to be the most comfortable thing I've sat in. We are putting it in a game/media room and comfort is key.

Weirs had the sectional composed of 2love seats and a settee (sp) and they wanted $2600 for it. Stacys had it in a sofa (3cushion) and a love seat for $1999. You got to pick your fabric choice and they even had a leather (which I'm trying to find info on the quality). You also get 6 down pillows with it. I'm not sure if his other sectional are made of the down fill or not.

After seeing the above photos I'm thinking crushing of the down could be an issue as I feared. The pillows don't look as form fitted(firm) as in the store. The sales person at the store has the sofa herself (since Dec.)and raved about it...I just someone to say it will hold up.

I would be happy to give you more feedback on it if you like...sounds like you don't have it in a store near you.

• Related Discussions

Trip Report - Hickory Furniture Mart

Q

Comments (12)
    hampton, I am only familiar with the Mart, since I haven't been to High Point where the stores are more spread around. At the Mart, everything is all under one roof so its probably the most convenient and comfortable if you have any physical limitations. I would check with customer service (I'm sure the number is on their website). They would most likely be able to provide assistance or recommendations. I know the Mart is has ramps if you needed a chair to take you from Point A to B. The Mart has many places to sit and rest if you need a break. They really go all out to make customers feel comfortable. I personally wear my Ecco walking shoes. Not the most stylish, but very foot-friendly. There are several Clearance Outlets right in the Mart with many chairs, sofas and occasional pieces on the floor. I would contact the Mart and they can send you a brochure so you can see which vendors are in the Outlets.
    ...See More

Quality of AICO furniture

Q

Comments (1)
    What you want to do in this case is to educate yourself in what to look for in good quality upholstered furniture. You want to look at how the frame is made and what it is made of. Kiln dried solid hardwood is best, not hardwood plywood. Most companies use plywood. Then consider the spring construction, 8 way hand tied is best. Then what type of cushion is used and finally how is the tailoring. You might also want to consider the country where the furniture is made. How much can you afford to spend? And how long do you want it to last? Most sofas last 5-7 years except for the really well built ones. Answer these questions. You could ask the salesperson at the store and then draw your own conclusions
    ...See More

Any feedback on Robert Michael sofas?

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone have any experience with Robert Michael furniture? We are considering purchasing a sectional made by Robert Michael, but I'm having a hard time finding any opinions or experiences with them. Thanks so much!
    ...See More

Looking for brand Recommendations for Sofas/Sectionals

Q

Comments (2)
    I would recommend looking into Natuzzi - Italian made sofas and sectionals.
    ...See More
  • choclot
    16 years ago

The crushing of the pillows are also a concern of mine. However, like you, I've heard people rave about how comfortable his furniture is to sit on. This piece is for my family/media room, so like you, I'm looking for comfort.

I live in the Metro DC area. It bums me that I may not find this furniture near me. I found a few companies that ship nationwide, but they are VERY tight-lipped on pricing. I'll need to be a bit more proactive to make this furniture purchase happen!!

Good luck in your quest to see if this is furniture built to last. Maybe ask Duane who's over at the Furniture Forum on this site....he's the "go-to" for furniture info.

Regarding the wearing of the piece: Is a warranty offered?

• rdquilter
    16 years ago

I just bought a Robert Michael down couch and loveseat last week. Saw them at a "staged" open house and ran to the furniture store to purchase. They were on sale and I got 10% addnl off for the open house so they ended up costing about $1000 and $1110 which I thought was very reasonable. They EACH came with FOUR huge pillows, which is too many to even use (esp on the loveseat) but fun to have extras. With the cost of pillows these days, I feel like they must be worth about $800 on their own. I would love to post a picture to show you but I can't get it to work-darn! We had a party right after they arrived, guests were totally raving about the comfort. My only concern had been that they were so much bigger than my old couches that it took me a bit to get used the size of them, now I am in love with them!:)
    Hopefully they will stand the test of time!!
    Pat

• choop
    15 years ago

Just bought our Robert Michael sectional on Saturday. We're having it specially built and upholstered. WE live in CA and his manufacturing facility is down here in Orange County I believe. We saw his collection at a place called Linder's Furniture as well as Living Spaces Furniture. We purchased from Linders because they allow you to customize the sofa to your specifications. The link below is to the sofa that we purchased except it's the 3 cushion sofa in a sectional with a large ottoman and not in red but in a color called Chunkster (a chocolate brown mocha). We paid $2000 otd, delivered, and w/5yr protection on everything. And yes this thing is SUPER COMFORTABLE!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Robert Michael Peyton Sofa

• bravefacari
    15 years ago

A word about Down filled couches. I have a 1957 Heritage down filled couch that belonged to my mother which she bought new when the original buyer backed out of the purchase. It was exorbitant price even then! A couple of times a year I take the cushions (there are two very long cushions) out of their upholstery (zippered) and I put them on a blanket outside in the sun. The heat from the sun causes the down to PUFF up very large. In a pinch I've done it in front of the fireplace. Anyway, then I stuff them back into their covers and put them on the couch. In between every once in awhile you just fluff them like you would a bed pillow. I hope that helps some of you wondering about down. The down cushions I have are the originals if that gives you any idea on how they can last.

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Yes, what bravefacari said. I bought a down sofa and matching chair, still have the chair, years ago at a garage sale, and they were old then. I just poufed up the cushions last thing every night. So comfortable! I also had two "spring down" chairs that were good for 35 years until I finally sold them a couple of years ago because they were too small for our other furniture.

When I was first married back in the '70s, the best upholstered furniture was made with down.

• trykeith_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We just got a RED (Berry) Robert Micheal Rocky Mountain sectional sofa and it is really Red. Better be ready for it. If your a shabby chic or blue fan you will hate the Berry.

• amyvanhulten_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I totally agree with "Melman". Do not buy this sofa unless you want to be sitting on a sunk in sofa within 6 months or so. It looks fabulous but the quality isnt that durable. We sink all the way to the frame when we sit on this now. So annoying and I am really upset we purchased this. The chaise where I normally sit is very thick and sturdy down towards the bottom (where no one sits) but where I sit, it is completely sunk in and very uncomfortable now. Crap quality.

• AZRose
    8 years ago

Would love an update from any of the above posts who liked their Robert Michael couch. We are just about to purchase one and I am very concerned about the down filled.

• Kathy Daily
    8 years ago

I purchased 2 sofas in November of 2011. They weren't used a lot because we had a den we hung out in, long story short, we now have a TV in the Great Room and we have been sitting in there more. There is one side of the sofa that has sunk down like described above, it really surprised me. The back cushions need to be adjusted every day after sitting on the sofa. The seat cushions have changed shape as well. I also have down feathers working through the fabric on a daily basis. It is comfortable but in my opinion too deep. I need to put a throw pillow behind my back when I sit on it (I'm 5'6"). Probably wouldn't purchase as a primary sofa but for an occasional room they are fine.

• Leigh Ana
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have the Rocky Mountain sectional in Chunkster brown. I've had it 4 1/2 years and it is our only sofa.

Con: the down pillows are a pain to keep fluffing or couch looks smashed

Pro: Very comfortable

Con: Seat cushions smash down a little

Pro: I rotate and flip them and it has worked for several years. You can take out of case and put in sun to really restore shape

Con: lining under sofa pulled away from frame exposing springs and causing it to sink

Pro: called where I bought it and they contacted company and they will be repairing it Applause to a company that stands behind their product!!

Also have been able to easily remove and put on covers to clean excellent product and company

• I can Read
    8 years ago

Bought my RM sectional for around 3k about 4 yrs ago. The cushions are my only complaint. The foam seems a bit too soft. The feathers are begining to clump and escape from the fabric even with regular fluffing. I'm researching to replace them now. The frame and fabric are holding up nicely. The fabric looks almost new. I would repurchase. And for the rest of my life no matter the maker will buy feather bed cushions. Happy sofa hunting and good luck!

• Linda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just purchased my 2nd Robert Michaels Sectional . 1st one never had any problems with it cushions stayed nice and full the back pillows did get a bit flat after 15 yrs to be expected. Excellent product I just purchase the rocky mountain Chunkster Brown with the down wrap on the cushions, so comfortable, cant wait for some deep couch sitting : ) just waiting on delivery.. Any feed back on this fabric /color would be great! Pros and cons ....

• alenalewis
    7 years ago

I would absolutely not by anything from this company. We bought a sofa and after getting it home noticed a large fabric flaw. After about a month got around to trying to fix it and went right to Robert Michael because the company we bought from had since gone out of business. Called on a Friday was transferred to a message machine left a message a week later had not been called back called them again and was rudely told because the store was closed they would do nothing. Was told their warranties are only through the store you bought it from. I was promised when I bought the couch it was under full warranty and if I had any issues they would be easily taken care of by the company even though the store was going out of business. Very disappointed that a company will not stand behind it own product if a company cannot be trusted and has no pride in their work why spend that much money on their furniture. We made a big mistake it was our first (what we thought) really nice piece of furniture I called it my adult couch. Now I'm heart broken. Hopefully others learn from our tale

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Alena, how long ago? Some people have great results posting this kind of stuff to the company's facebook page and other social media. They don't want the bad publicity. If you paid with a credit card, some offer warranty coverage on purchases, if it hasn't been too long. Also the state office of consumer affairs in your or their state might be an option. Good luck.

• dkp123
    7 years ago

Have you read their comments and posts on their facebook page lately? I'm so done with them. We loved our sectional couch. I can't complain about the product...shittiest customer service experience I've had in some time...if not ever...and I was TRYING to give them my money...imagine if you had a problem?!

• tria3lete62
    7 years ago

Bought the Robert Michael Chocolate down sectional 8 months ago to replace another down sectional we'd had for previous 15 years. Spent the last several years fluffing pillows and picking down feathers. Now after 8 months with new RM sectional, we're already back to fluffing pillows and picking prickly feathers. I'd rate an 8 out of 10 for comfort but 3 out 10 for maintenance. Pillows flat and feathers constantly poking through wherever a body part lands. You'd think they'd have figured this out by now. Especially charging $4,000 with ottoman. Any recommendations for pillow fluff and feather fix?

• mill1997
    7 years ago

I purchased a Robert Michael sectional that was specifically made for the Hemispheres store brand. The design and look of the Robert Michaels sectionals are unique. The sectional I bought had a great color scheme that came with patterned and faux fur pillows. But buyer beware that the pillows are 100% geese feather-down (I did not know this). The couch cushions are feather on top and foam padding on bottom. I agree with all the reviews. The pillows and cushions get smashed down over time and the feathers continually poke out from cushions and pillows (which hurts bare skin and gets all over the floor). What I don't understand is why there is not an alternative to down feathers for this brand? I feel HORRIBLE that the couch is filled with dead birds. I researched about the practice of live plucking and it's absolutely horrendous the amount of pain these birds suffer for our own "comfort." Please research before buying these type of couches. In future, I will never make the mistake of buying any type of feather/down products ever again!

• LightParanormal
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I bought this Robert Michael rocky mountain sectional for $700 used. It was a steal! It does sink a little, but for me its just "comfy". What bugs me a lot is the back cushions. They always are sinking fatter towards the bottom. The MOST annoying problem though is this couch material. It gets every single piece of lent or hair from the environment!! A real pain with a dog, two cats and a kid. The time I spend sticky rolling this dang couch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant take it anymore. I have it listed for sale but I'm second guessing selling it. Maybe I can find a couch cover for it. It doesn't look like the maker made any covers for it. Uuug. I may make my own because this is truly the best couch I've ever had in terms of size and comfort. P.s. if you have this couch and are looking on a good way to clean it: First sticky roll the crap out of it and then take a new kitchen foam scrubber and some shout and wipe it down completely. I don't use much shout in this process unless there is a stain or issue on the surface. Wiping it down with a moist sponge gets rid of the rest of the fuzz that may be left by sticky rolling it and it will look cleaner and smell better. Please let me know if you find a couch cover for this. As of now its covered in sheets as to not get anymore lent or hair on it hahaha. p.s. I haven't had too many issues with feathers coming out. Maybe I'm just lucky.

• lchandler89
    6 years ago

Hi everyone,

ive had the Robert Michael Rocky Mountain Sectional for about 3 years. Love the couch and really don't have any complaints. It has lost some shape to the back cushions but I still haven't bothered to put them out in the sun as I've read on here. My question is how do I clean the actually cushion covers? I haven't been able to find anything online or an actual tag on the sofa giving directions. The couch is the chunky brown color so it's not really a stain issue, more of a musty smell from teenage boys. All that to say, can I wash them or should it go to the cleaners or....??

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Could you contact the manufacturer and ask them about fabric care?

• Scool6 scool6
    6 years ago

We have the Robert Michael Fifth Avenue sofa bought it in 2008 it's super comfy and still holding up to this day! The only cushions that need fluffing are the back ones which is very easy to do. Other than that it's a great sofa and we love it!!!!

• Tiffany Meade
    6 years ago

Did you ever find fabric care instruction for the cushion covers I’ve looked all all the couch and online and haven’t found anything ??

• surquizo
    6 years ago

I bought a Robert Michael sectional from The Room Store before they closed, for about 2700.00, it's the worst mistake I've made! There was always a problem with one of the end seats, it seems to sit lower than the rest of it and is very uncomfortable, they came to supposedly fixe it twice before they closed the store and didn't make a difference. I have tried to get a hold of the company and have had no luck, I suppose they know they make crap furniture. My son was getting up the other day and heard a crack and the other side is now busted and sitting flat on the floor! Im so upset! I will never buy anything Robert Michael again!

• surquizo
    6 years ago

Hmmm I can't help but notice the good reviews are from people who just bought it, give it a few months. I tried FB and email and calling and left a message because they can't even answer the calls, gee I wonder why? I'm willing to bet most of the calls are warrantee related, I don't think they have a warrantee, they are a dishonorable company, thieves!

• Sandra Krahn
    6 years ago

I bought this Robert Micheal sectional 5 or 6 years ago. I love it. It is the most comfortable couch I have ever owned. Highly recommend.

• k9arlene
    6 years ago

It may be comfortable, but sure looks messy.

• Darlene Demarest
    6 years ago

That's not messy it's lived on. Not meant for a formal living room.

• Dawn Hanson
    5 years ago

The Rate My Space photo of the Robert Michael couch is mine. It is 2018 and I still have it plus have bought a 2nd one now of a different style but same me.ory foam and down mixture. For everyone saying it wont hold up, not true. They flatten and you fluff them right up. It have 3 dogs plus 2 adults who live on these couches and that couch in my living room looks as good now as it did back in 2008. Robert Michael went out of business but his couch patent is now under a new name carried at Mor Furnuture stores. If you go in and ask for a Robert Michael couch they will show you the new couch under the new name. We just bought a 3rd one. I am very picky and only buy high end furniture so I definitely recommend this brand.

• Tricia O'Connor Harrison
    4 years ago

Can you please give me the new name the sectional is going by? We bought one in 2008 which we moved up to our media room. We love it! A friend wants one like it. Thanks !

• Leah S
    3 years ago

I got married last August and am still in the process of mingling all of our belongings together in a good looking and comfortable way... My husband was in the Navy and bought his Robert Michael Ltd down sectional when he was single in San Diego-so suffice it to say the thing got some wear lol! He then moved to Las Vegas upon leaving the Navy due to a service related injury(where we met and got married) and put the majority of his furniture into a hastily packed (to put it nicely) storage unit.

When going through everything I was shocked to see the sectional balanced one piece on top of the other, laying on its back, pillows in ripped garbage bags... But when I realized the quality of the sofa I was even more horrified! Long story less long, we brought it to our new home, I took the covers off all of the cushions and had them cleaned, along with having the base of the sections cleaned as well, fluffed up the pillows a bit in the Vegas sunshine and it looks like it could be practically new! As far as issues with sinking into the cushions, yes, down takes a bit of work and attention, but it will last many many years and can stay in excellent condition... apparently even through some rough times!!

Hope this helps... Oh yeah he purchased it in 2014 so it was already around 6 years old when I "saved" it from his storage unit....only issue like one other person said is that the bottom fabric has started to come apart a bit from the bottom of the couch, but that is a flimsy material anyway- and in my opinion is to be expected when it was only half taken care of for the years it belonged to just my husband LOL!

• JENNIFER RUSSELL
    3 years ago

Hi all! I've had my Robert Michael Fifth Avenue huge sectional since 2005! I absolutely still love it, the upholstery covers easily unzip and I've been throwing them in the washer on hot regular cycle on a very regular basis for 15 years and they still are beautiful. Only complaints after this long is that the actual cushion covers with the down and foam inside are tearing apart which of course leads to lots of feathers. Does anyone know where we can get new cushion covers?? Not the zippered upholstery covers but the actual down and foam flimsy covers. I do have 1 broken zipper that I'm getting replaced but that is on the chaise lounge part which has gotten most of the love for 15 years. I'm just hoping someone has some info on any replacement cushion covers at this point. I really love my sectional after all these years and they've been through raising a whole family and 2 boys. Any help would be super appreciated!

Also, for anyone questioning if they should purchase this furniture, I'd say absolutely! I know it's not being built by Robert Michael anymore so not sure about the quality now.

Again, any recommendations or help for replacement parts would be awesome!

• Christy Pardue
    3 years ago

This is our Robert Michael La Jolla sectional purchased in 2011. Pic taken early 2020 (during the process of moving not all pillows were present in pic 9 in all) after we moved into new home I took all the cushion covers off sent to cleaners all 23 covers! It’s very comfy with durable fabric. I am a cushion flipper fluffer so ours kept its shape. I agree it is for Family room vs formal den. But very happy with it. At the present moment we have a leather sectional in the living room. I don’t go in there I don’t watch TV in there it’s highly uncomfortable yet nice to look at. My Robert Michael Sectional Will end up going in the media room below the theatre seats. Where comfort is key. Oh I did wash on delicate the smaller pillow covers (not the silk or the single super furry one) I let them air dry. Came out perfect same size same shape.

• PRO
    Estrella Design
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We bought our sectional for $ 5500 in 2004 It has a chase, one end chair, one corner, and 5 Seats interior (2 person and 3 person sofa). It is massive, sprawling and with ottoman (in the bottom left of plc you see a portion of it), 5 people can sleep on it, and my hubby cuddles and spoons me on the sofa's width, not just on the chaise. Our kids use it in the loft and my son and his teenage friends love crashing on it when they do sleepovers. We keep it covered now with a velvety blanket but yes the back pillows need fluffing at times and interior cloth holding the down fill is degraded and we had it re-covered. But outer frame and microfiber is stil intact and outer microfber cloth on the seats and pillows are removable and washable.

For 17 years, it was the best investment, and will replace it with another RMDesign.

You can see It held up over the years and did I say how comfy and soft it is to sleep on?

In comparison we have traditional sofas in our living room which also are down-filled, but we do movie nights in the Loft as it is so comty compared to our other more expensive sofas.

• Koi Anunta
    last year
    last modified: last year

I bought my Robert Michael Ltd. "Main Street" sectional in "Passion Suede Chocolate" microfiber in 2006, and I'm still sitting on it (super comfortably) as I type this comment right now. It is THE most comfortable sofa I have ever sat or slept on, and I can't actually believe that I've had it 17 years. It's survived being hauled to and from storage across 3 different moves, and withstood the assault of multiple adults plus at least 5 different dogs (including a Siberian Husky), so I definitely reiterate the sentiments of everyone else on here who has said these sofas really do stand the test of time. The Husky has tried to dig/tear at the fabric on several occasions, yet only succeeded in making a couple tiny holes in the back pillows--which is astonishing, as this dog can eat through a plastic airline kennel--so it seems that the microfiber is pretty tough. It's so easy to wipe spills and stains from this fabric, as well. It's true that the loose back pillows and seat cushions squish and lose their shape due to their being filled with down, but even if they don't look the greatest anymore, they don't ever stop being comfortable. I definitely didn't buy this sofa because of the looks--I had originally gotten it new and made to order from some no-name hole-in-the-wall import furniture store on La Brea in Hollywood (CA). It was my first major furniture purchase, so I had simply asked the salesman, "give me your most comfortable sofa in a dogproof fabric and color that will last a long time" and this is what he recommended, and boy, was he right. When I remove the upholstery covers, there are definitely feathers everywhere inside the cushions, but honestly, I haven't had issues with feathers escaping the covers. I have other down accent pillows that literally litter the room with feathers if you even sit near one, but the sofa has been totally fine. I only wish I had known how to take care of the cushions as well as I see now that many of you have, but alas, the reason I'm here is because 5 minutes ago, I just dragged the chaise portion of the sectional out to the curb :/ I had just made the decision to finally get rid of this sofa because the fabric and inner cushions have finally become so dirty and gross after never having been formally cared for in 17 years (no fault of the sofa's), but since I haven't been able to find something that I like nearly as much yet, I decided to keep just the "sofa" portion for the time being, which is what I'm still happily sitting on right now, until I find a new sofa. So, when I took the chaise cushion off to throw it out, that's when, for the very first time, I saw the label that stated Robert Michael Ltd, Santa Ana, CA! I Googled it and thus found this page of comments...and now am super sad that I may not ever be able to get this sofa again, if Robert Michael is truly out of business. I have not been able to find the original furniture store again (not sure if it survived the pandemic), so I don't know what to do. This sectional was huge, approx 108" wide (from one arm to the end of the "L") and the chaise was 60" deep, and I'd paid $1700 for it in 2006. I'm just shocked at sofa prices now (upwards of $5k even for non-sectional sofas, and even without down cushions!!) but regardless of price, I've checked out sofas from RH, West Elm, Crate & Barrel, CB2, Macy's, Ikea, etc plus any number of vintage stores and so far, have not found anything remotely approaching the comfort and sheer heft/quality of this Robert Michael sofa. I'd been hoping to purchase essentially the same sofa, but hopefully with a more updated design so the shape is a bit more modern, but with the quality and comfort preserved. I had a small velvet loveseat from World Market for just 3 years in a different room, and in just that short time with light use, a spring gave out and made the sofa basically unusable. I'd definitely rather pay for good quality furniture, especially if they last as long and feel as good as this Robert Michael sofa!! If anyone has ideas for what other brands are comparable to the quality of this Robert Michael sofa that are currently available that perhaps have a more trendy design, and hopefully are under $3k for a non-sectional sofa around 86-90", I'm all ears!!! If it's possible to get something that feels as good that doesn't use real bird feathers, that would be even better, but I think that would be asking for the moon. :( I'm really sad now that my chaise is gone. :(

• M G
    9 months ago

Im looking for the fabric they used. my sofa has outlasted the actual covers!