SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twntyonegambler

So many questions so many answers

twntyonegambler
16 years ago

First off, hat's off to John and Ken! You two are true pros and have a way of answering our questions without making us out like dummies!

So here I go with mine! TWP it is (I think!). Since the 100 series is not available where I live in....wait for it.....wait for it.....California (no shock there), I ahve the 500 series available at KM. I've narrowed down to three choices:

Ceder Tone

California Redwood - questionable name later in my post

Light Cedar

Opinions? frankly they all look alike on a sample piece i've treated.

Last weekend, just finished a really nice looking, massive redwood arbor over my patio. Got a killer deal from my next door neigbor lumber yard owner on the wood. The wood is impecable and absoulutly stunning. he picked the best stuff. Took me 3 1/2 weekends, and that was helping the guy build it.

So questions:

- TWP 500 instructions say "NEW WOOD: All new wood must be thoroughly wetted by rain or tap water at least twice to open wood grain and remove excess surface tannins. Allow a minimum of 48 hours of good drying conditions before applying TWP." - is it really necessary to water the wood at least twice?

- also, my 6x6 posts are very smooth - need to pre-treat? Absolutely necessary with TWP?

I'm anxious to start the process as I have one more weekend credit with my wife! She said I owe her a vacation from our 2 yo and 4 yo! probably true - harder to take care of 2 little ones than to build a deck...

Thanks again to all who contribute here. Don't lurk like me though. I wish I had just posted earlier so my time crunch is not as bad.

Comments (3)