SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeownersue

Pressure treated wood deck finish issues

Hello. I have a pressure treated wood deck that I had refinished about 2 1/2 years ago. The GC who did the work pressure washed the deck, steps, railings, and lattice trim and then stained with a Duron deck product.Prior to this, the deck was very neglected (sellers threw a coat of Thompsons water seal over dirty, faded out deck). The vertical surface stain has held up nicely, as I would expect. Most of horizontal surfaces have faded somewhat (also to be expected). Within six months, there appeared some blotches that can best be described as "washed out" areas with irregular borders -- it just looks like someone sanded the color off in places (I'd post a photo but no digital camera, sorry). When I feel the surface in these areas with my fingers, I don't get that rough, scaly sort of feeling (nor is there that appearance) that I've been told indicates that the wood was "over - power-washed." And I was very clear in my instructions to the contractor that I wanted him to go easy with the power washing. However, it may be that he didn't, or perhaps stained too soon--I understand it is best to let the wood dry out properly after power wash. And the fellow also power washed my vinyl siding and left some light colored marks on two sides of the house (not visible close up, only when you step back) that someone told me means he didn't power wash correctly (that's a question for another forum, I know). The deck also very quickly lost its waterproofing capability from the sealing. I know I should have addressed this immedately but have had other things going on in life and home; also, this is not pretty but it is a deck and still standing up fine! Someone else suggests the answer is to have the deck surfaces sanded and then restained/resealed. Is there anything else to try? There is also quite a bit of moss on it, but I know how to deal with that. Any chance I could just clean the deck and then "spot treat" the washed out areas with fresh stain, or is my friend who favors sanding right? Any other answers? I'm not crazy about the idea of re-power washing--I understand that is not supposed to be done a lot. Many thanks for any ideas.

Comments (2)