SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

curtain novice needs advice

flseadog
15 years ago

For the past 30 years I've only had shades or blinds on my windows. Now I've decided to take the plunge on curtains and I know nothing about the subject and would love advice. The curtains that appeal to me in magazines and catalogs are the ones on a 3/4" rod with rings that have clips. Our new house will have a great room with French doors (a pair of 3' doors) in the center. The door has an eight foot wide window on each side and I would like to do the same curtains on the windows and the doors. Here are my questions:

1. How high above the window should the curtain rod be mounted?

2. How far beyond the window edge should the brackets be mounted? If possible I would like to have the door curtains open in the middle and stack to each side. For the flanking windows I'd like the left hand window curtains to stack to the left and the right hand window curtains stack to the right. This is because we have a good view from this room so I want to open the curtains as much as possible. Also the way the windows and door are spaced I have more room at the left and right to stack back the window curtains than I do between the door and the windows. Hope this makes sense. In any event will it look strange to not have the window curtains stacked symmetrically on each window but symmetrically for the entire room?

3. What is the rule of thumb for fullness? I want the curtains to be able to close for privacy at night. Should I figure on fabric double the width of the windows or more?

4. Is it possible to have a "wand" attached to curtains to pull them open and closed? Would this be tacky? I've only seen wands like this in hotel rooms but I think it is a practical system and I can't think of another way to open and close the curtains without pulling on the fabric and I don't want to use a cumbersome traverse rod system. The last time I used traverse rods was more than 30 years ago so maybe they aren't so cumbersome anymore. If so could someone enlighten me on this.

5. Finally, how far apart should the ring clips be spaced? Does this depend on the weight of the fabric or some other factor.

Sorry to be so long but I really am clueless on this subject. I don't sew and I don't even know enough about curtains to be able to decipher the websites to order online. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!